Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Different ways in which applications are Launched. Post 302511295 by Corona688 on Wednesday 6th of April 2011 11:18:37 AM
Old 04-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKbStockpiler
If init needs the fork command to start a new process , what is inbetween clicking a mouse button and starting the new process? Which alreadly occuring process issues the fork command?
Anything can fork(), not just init. X runs applications or a window manager when it starts and those applications fork().

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

is there a way to find out the tty from which the process is launched

Hi all, There is an application which can be launched once on our box and there are several suspected users telnet into the system with the same login ID. Is there a way that i can find out from which tty the application is launched? If so, i can get the user name from the "finger"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sleepy_11
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lastlog and launched process

Hello there, I "discovered" an interesting command lastlog, but I couldn't find, until now:cool:, if it's possible to get a list of the launched process by users and root during a certain of time... ...any idea would be really appreciated!!! Thanks in advance. Giordano Bruno (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill remote application launched via SSH command

Hi All I launch some application in a remote machine using ssh EXAMPLE ssh -X myname@mycompany@RemoteServerIp 'myApplicationName' When I want to kill the application I hit CTRL+C and I see a message 'Killed by signal 2'. Unfortunately on the remote machine the application is not really... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manustone
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script run when executable is launched

I need to know how to have a BASH script run every time Firefox is launched, what is the simplest way to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

5. Debian

After saving a pic, gimp should not be launched

Hi, i use a crunchbang-LINUX . The Problem: When i download and save a picture, the system automaticaly launches gimp. i tried to find a config file, were i can switch of this "gimp-start," but unfortunatelly i didnt find it. cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager /usr/bin/slim I'm also not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a command after a program was launched

Hi Experts, I am creating a script to monitor a certain applications running in my Unix system. My script order goes this way: df -h /of/a/filesystem tail -5 /path/to/an/application/availability su -c "jsmon pf=(profile of my application) `echo "p"`" usradm #EOF I am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xworks
7 Replies
IREXEC(1)							   User Commands							 IREXEC(1)

NAME
irexec - run programs with one button press SYNOPSIS
irexec [options] [config_file] DESCRIPTION
This program lets you execute arbitrary commands on an IR signal decoded by lircd, the LIRC daemon. You can give irexec a command line parameter which has to be a name of a valid config file. If no command line parameters are given irexec reads the default config file which is usually ~/.lircrc. If irexec executes a program it will wait until this program terminates. So append a '&' to the command string if you don't want that. The config string consists of the command to be run. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --daemon run in background -n --name use this program name OPTIONS
If you add the --daemon option irexec will fork to background. That way you can easily start irexec from an init script. In this case you should specify a config file on the command line as irexec won't be able to find your home directory. Potential uses are shutting down the computer, starting a dial-up connection etc. NOTE
If you start irexec, it reads your ~/.lircrc and reacts only on prog= entries that point to irexec. If you have included more than one pro- gram in your .lircrc, then start all these programs, they react itself only to their according entries in .lircrc. SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. irexec 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IREXEC(1)