Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming when parent process close, how to close the child? Post 302511257 by Corona688 on Wednesday 6th of April 2011 10:01:37 AM
Old 04-06-2011
You have two options
1) Wait for the child.
2) Kill the child, then wait for the child.

Both mean the parent has to know what its children are.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Should a UNIX daemon process close open fds?

I have a UNIX daemon process that's been started by a parent process, an application server. The behavior of this daemon process is to inherit and use the app server's file descriptors (ports/sockets). When I shutdown the app server, the daemon continues to run, because there may be other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kunalashar
1 Replies

2. Programming

parent and child process question?

Hi everybody, I'm trying to understand how a parent and child processes interact. This function( below) basically measures the fork time from the perspective of the parent only. what i would like to know is how to measure the time from the perspective of parent and child (ie: inserting... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tosa
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make the parent process to wait for the child process

Hi All, I have two ksh script. 1st script calls the 2nd script and the second script calls an 'C' program. I want 1st script to wait until the 'C' program completes. I cant able to get the process id for the 'C' program (child process) to make the 1st script to wait for the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sennidurai
7 Replies

4. Solaris

file open/read/write/close/access by process

Hi want to know what file (descriptor+filename+socket) is being accessed by particular process on solaris. Purpose : while running perf. test, needs to find where is the bottleneck. We are providing concurrnet load for around 1 hr and needs to capture data related to file usage pattern... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raxitsheth
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[KSH/Bash] Starting a parent process from a child process?

Hey all, I need to launch a script from within 2 other scripts that can run independently of the two parent scripts... Im having a hard time doing this, if anyone knows how please let me know. More detail. ScriptA (bash), ScriptB (ksh), ScriptC (bash) ScriptA, launches ScriptB ScirptB,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of NOHUP - How to keep the child process running even if I close the Server connection

Hi. ! When I use the 'NOHUP' along with the '&', the process will be running in the background. Even when I attempt to close (Meaning 'EXIT') the session (say PUTTY in this case), it wont exit unless the process is completed. But, say when I forcefully terminate the session (SHUT DOWN the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WinBarani
2 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

signal between parent process and child process

Hello, everyone. Here's a program: pid_t pid = fork(); if (0 == pid) // child process { execvp ...; } I send a signal (such as SIGINT) to the parent process, the child process receive the signal as well as the parent process. However I don't want to child process to receive the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackliang
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Close file descriptor without terminating process

Can any help me in finding the way to close opened file descriptor in Solaris ,without killing process. As accidently a file was removed which was opened by a process. Much thanks in advance :) (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitj
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How make parent to wait from child process?

Hi all, I am starting mgen5 for sometime depends on input from a file, in a child process. now I want to make parent to wait in this child process till mgen5 finishes, or timeout happens. could anyone please tell me how to make parent to wait in child process in shell script? thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girijajoshi
2 Replies
PCNTL_FORK(3)								 1							     PCNTL_FORK(3)

pcntl_fork - Forks the currently running process

SYNOPSIS
int pcntl_fork (void ) DESCRIPTION
The pcntl_fork(3) function creates a child process that differs from the parent process only in its PID and PPID. Please see your system's fork(2) man page for specific details as to how fork works on your system. RETURN VALUES
On success, the PID of the child process is returned in the parent's thread of execution, and a 0 is returned in the child's thread of execution. On failure, a -1 will be returned in the parent's context, no child process will be created, and a PHP error is raised. EXAMPLES
Example #1 pcntl_fork(3) example <?php $pid = pcntl_fork(); if ($pid == -1) { die('could not fork'); } else if ($pid) { // we are the parent pcntl_wait($status); //Protect against Zombie children } else { // we are the child } ?> SEE ALSO
pcntl_waitpid(3), pcntl_signal(3), setproctitle(3). PHP Documentation Group PCNTL_FORK(3)