Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting CRON shell script only runs correctly on command line Post 302511154 by giliet on Wednesday 6th of April 2011 04:21:06 AM
Old 04-06-2011
MySQL

I hit same problem and found source of the problem after playing around. It appears that SSH starts remote command asynchronously when is started from cron. Don't ask me reason for that I really don't know Smilie My workaround for this in the script below.

Code:
ssh -i "/.ssh/id_rsa" -y root@host.domain.lan "script.sh 2>&1 > /tmp/script.log" 2>&1
# Now we will scp log file from remote host and look for string "Done" in it because ssh executes
# asynchronously when run from cron
rm -f /tmp/ssh.log
timeout=60  # 1 minute time-out
elapsed=0
RC=1

while [ $elapsed -lt $timeout ] && [ $RC -eq 1 ]; do   # We should wait for limited time so that it would not loop forever
   scp -i "/.ssh/id_rsa" root@host.domain.lan:/tmp/script.log /tmp/ssh.log > /dev/null 2>&1

grep -i "Done" /tmp/ssh.log > /dev/null
   if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
      RC=0
   else
     sleep 5s
     elapsed=$(($elapsed + 5))
   fi
done
if  [ $elapsed -ge $timeout ]; then
   echo "script failed (time-out after $elapsed seconds)"
fi
Messages=`cat /tmp/ssh.log`
echo "${Messages}"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs fine, but not in a cron

Okay, I have the following script that runs fine from a command line as well as an executable .sh file. It just moves any file/folder with movie* in the name to a folder called _Movies. The issue I'm running into is when it's call from a cron. find /mnt/HD_a2/BT/complete -iname "movie.*" -exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sammyk
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script runs fine in Solaris, in Linux hangs at wait command

HI, I have a strange problem. A shell script that runs fine on solaris. when i ported to linux, it started hanging. here is the core of the script CFG_FILE=tab25.cfg sort -t "!" -k 2 ${CFG_FILE} | egrep -v "^#|^$" | while IFS="!" read a b c do #echo "jobs output" #jobs #echo "jobs... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksaravanan
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs manually but not correctly from crontab

Hi all I have this inside a shell script (bash): cd DIRECTORY find . -maxdepth 1 | sed 's#./##' | /usr/bin/xargs -I '{}' chown -Rv '{}' /DIRECTORY/'{}' All the directories in this location are named after usernames, so it simply sets the owner to that of the username of the folder. It... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fakesy
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs manually but not correctly from crontab

Hello all, I'm new here and have a question if you don't mind helping me. I have a script that will work if I kick if off manually but not from Cron. My cron entry is this: 05,20,35,50 * * * * /scripts/status.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 The first script (works fine) is this: #!/bin/sh # #... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: hs3082
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script runs good manually but not through Cron tab

Hello Every one, I have a shell script which is running fine manually, but its giving me hard time when running tru cron job. :wall:. Am using #!/usr/bin/ksh >echo $SHELL /usr/bin/ksh Cron Job is as below, it execues but dosent do what i want it to do. 47 15 * * *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naren.chowdhary
1 Replies

6. AIX

Script runs in shell but not cron

We run some menu driven software that has the ability to batch menu paths and generate reports quickly. Normally you run a batch like: $ BATCH BATCHNAME The batch program then prompts you for the date you want the report run for. I got some help from some folks on IRC to do the following: BATCH... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: herot
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Odd results when my script runs from cron..

Hi folks, So I wrote a script to run "top", "awk" out values fro the "top" and send the results to a data file. I then set it to run in cron every 15 minutes. Now I'm noticing that the script, and it's sub-commands are not always cleanly finishing and, in my investigations, I am also... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marc G
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs in command-line fine but times out in CRON?

Hi, I have a script that seems to run to completion when in the command-line, but when it is run using the cron, it seems to time out. They both start and run fine, but on the CRON it stops prematurely. The script hits an API every few seconds and grabs data. Does anyone have any idea on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpchick
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sql command inside shell script runs without giving anything back as outout

#!/bin/sh # This script returns the number of rows updated from a function echo "The execution is starting ....." sqlplus -silent $UP <<EOF set serveroutput on set echo off set pagesize 0 VAR no_rows_updated NUMBER; EXEC :no_rows_updated :=0; DECLARE CURSOR c_update is SELECT * FROM... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LoneRanger
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs manually, but not from cron

Hi, I "borrowed" a script I found online, to start a SAP router application on a Solaris 11 (SPARC) server. The script runs fine when calling it manually, but when I schedule it to run from cron, it doesn't. I don't see any warning or failure messages anywhere, just nothing happens. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bredman
11 Replies
SSH-ARGV0(1)                                                BSD General Commands Manual                                               SSH-ARGV0(1)

NAME
ssh-argv0 -- replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling SYNOPSIS
hostname | user@hostname [-l login_name] [command] hostname | user@hostname [-afgknqstvxACNTX1246] [-b bind_address] [-c cipher_spec] [-e escape_char] [-i identity_file] [-l login_name] [-m mac_spec] [-o option] [-p port] [-F configfile] [-L port:host:hostport] [-R port:host:hostport] [-D port] [command] DESCRIPTION
ssh-argv0 replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling. If you link to this script with a hostname then executing the link is equivalent to having executed ssh with that hostname as an argument. All other arguments are passed to ssh and will be processed normally. OPTIONS
See ssh(1). FILES
See ssh(1). AUTHORS
OpenSSH is a derivative of the original and free ssh 1.2.12 release by Tatu Ylonen. Aaron Campbell, Bob Beck, Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de Raadt and Dug Song removed many bugs, re-added newer features and created OpenSSH. Markus Friedl contributed the support for SSH protocol versions 1.5 and 2.0. Jonathan Amery wrote this ssh-argv0 script and the associated documentation. SEE ALSO
ssh(1) Debian Project September 7, 2001 Debian Project