Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract string from multiple file based on line count number Post 302510748 by cgkmal on Monday 4th of April 2011 09:37:05 PM
Old 04-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcwayx
This will lost original sequence, you can't short it by this way.

Thanks, something new I learned
Smilie

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once

I need to count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once if search string is found. eg: File1: Please note that there are 2 occurances of "aaa" aaa bbb ccc aaa File2: Please note that there are 3 occurances of "aaa" aaa bbb ccc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudheshnaiyer
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a line from a file using the line number

I have a shell script and want to assign a value to a variable. The value is the line exctrated from a file using the line number. The line number it is not fix, and could change any time. I have tried sed, awk, head .. See my script # Get randome line number from the file #selectedline = `awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zambo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a line from a file using the line number

Hello, I am having trouble extracting a specific line from a file when the line number is known. My first attempt involved grep -n 'hi' (the word 'hi will always be there) to get the line number before the line that I actually want (line 4). Extra Notes: -I am working in a bash script. -The... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grandtheftander
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract a specific number from an XML file based on the start and end tags

Hello People, I have the following contents in an XML file ........... ........... .......... ........... <Details = "Sample Details"> <Name>Bob</Name> <Age>34</Age> <Address>CA</Address> <ContactNumber>1234</ContactNumber> </Details> ........... ............. .............. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushant172
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract specific data and count number containing sets from a file?

Hello everybody! I am quit new here and hope you can help me. Using an awk script I am trying to extract data from several files. The structure of the input files is as follows: TimeStep parameter1 parameter2 parameter3 parameter4 e.g. 1 X Y Z L 1 D H Z I 1 H Y E W 2 D H G F 2 R... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel8472
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of occurances of string in a file?

Gurus, Need little guidance. I have A.txt and B.txt file. B.txt file contains Unique strings. Sample content of B.txt file for which i cut the fourth column uniquely and output directed to B.txt file And A.txt file contains the above string as a fourth column which is last column. So A.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a line from a file by line number

Hi guys, does anyone know how to extract(grep) a line from the file, if I know the line number? Thanks a lot. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge two non-consecutive lines based on line number or string

This is a variation of an earlier post found here: unixcom/shell-programming-scripting/159821-merge-two-non-consecutive-lines.html User Bartus11 was kind enough to solve that example. Previously, I needed help combining two lines that are non-consecutive in a file. Now I need to do the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: munkee
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP: Shell Script to read a Log file line by line and extract Info based on KEYWORDS matching

I have a LOG file which looks like this Import started at: Mon Jul 23 02:13:01 EDT 2012 Initialization completed in 2.146 seconds. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- Import summary for Import item: PolicyInformation... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: biztank
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurrence of a string in file

if there's a file containing: money king money queen money cat money also money king all those strings are on one line in the file. how can i find out how many times "money king" shows up in the line? egrep -c "money king" wont work. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies
sagasu(1)																 sagasu(1)

NAME
sagasu - GNOME tool to find strings in multiple files SYNOPSIS
sagasu [string [dir]] DESCRIPTION
sagasu is a GNOME tool to find strings in a set of files. The user specifies the search directory and the set of files to be searched. Double-clicking on a search result launches a user command that can for example load the file in an editor at the appropriate line. The search can recurse into subdirectories and can optionally ignore CVS directories. Two optional command-line arguments can be given: the first is the initial search string and the second is the directory whose files will be searched. If only one argument is given, it is taken as the search string. No search is actually started, but the appropriate fields are initialized. Any subsequent arguments are ignored. More documentation is available through the application's Help menu. OPTIONS
--help display a help page and exit --version display version information and exit LICENSE
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public License. This program has absolutely no warranty. AUTHOR
Pierre Sarrazin See the Sagasu Home Page: http://sarrazip.com/dev/sagasu.html BUGS
The files to be searches are still assumed to be in Latin-1, not in UTF-8. The same goes for the command-line arguments and the terminal to which Sagasu is connected, if applicable. HISTORY
Sagasu is a Japanese word that means "to search." June 19th, 2010 sagasu(1)