Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Different ways in which applications are Launched. Post 302510713 by Corona688 on Monday 4th of April 2011 06:40:15 PM
Old 04-04-2011
Consider that in either way you suggest, it'd be done through a fork().

But how things get run really depends on how you run them... I don't think the X server runs anything directly aside from what's in your ~/.xinitrc, which gets parsed as a script file... Once X is done logging you in, what things are run how is entirely up to the control of application programs.

Did I ever manage to answer your questions in the other thread?

Last edited by Corona688; 04-04-2011 at 07:46 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

is there a way to find out the tty from which the process is launched

Hi all, There is an application which can be launched once on our box and there are several suspected users telnet into the system with the same login ID. Is there a way that i can find out from which tty the application is launched? If so, i can get the user name from the "finger"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sleepy_11
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lastlog and launched process

Hello there, I "discovered" an interesting command lastlog, but I couldn't find, until now:cool:, if it's possible to get a list of the launched process by users and root during a certain of time... ...any idea would be really appreciated!!! Thanks in advance. Giordano Bruno (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill remote application launched via SSH command

Hi All I launch some application in a remote machine using ssh EXAMPLE ssh -X myname@mycompany@RemoteServerIp 'myApplicationName' When I want to kill the application I hit CTRL+C and I see a message 'Killed by signal 2'. Unfortunately on the remote machine the application is not really... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manustone
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script run when executable is launched

I need to know how to have a BASH script run every time Firefox is launched, what is the simplest way to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

5. Debian

After saving a pic, gimp should not be launched

Hi, i use a crunchbang-LINUX . The Problem: When i download and save a picture, the system automaticaly launches gimp. i tried to find a config file, were i can switch of this "gimp-start," but unfortunatelly i didnt find it. cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager /usr/bin/slim I'm also not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a command after a program was launched

Hi Experts, I am creating a script to monitor a certain applications running in my Unix system. My script order goes this way: df -h /of/a/filesystem tail -5 /path/to/an/application/availability su -c "jsmon pf=(profile of my application) `echo "p"`" usradm #EOF I am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xworks
7 Replies
STARTX(1)						      General Commands Manual							 STARTX(1)

NAME
startx - initialize an X session SYNOPSIS
startx [ [ client ] options ... ] [ -- [ server ] [ display ] options ... ] DESCRIPTION
The startx script is a front end to xinit(1) that provides a somewhat nicer user interface for running a single session of the X Window System. It is often run with no arguments. Arguments immediately following the startx command are used to start a client in the same manner as xinit(1). The special argument '--' marks the end of client arguments and the beginning of server options. It may be convenient to specify server options with startx to change on a per-session basis the default color depth, the server's notion of the number of dots-per-inch the display device presents, or take advantage of a different server layout, as permitted by the Xorg(1) server and specified in the xorg.conf(5) configuration. Some examples of specifying server arguments follow; consult the manual page for your X server to determine which arguments are legal. startx -- -depth 16 startx -- -dpi 100 startx -- -layout Multihead To determine the client to run, startx first looks for a file called .xinitrc in the user's home directory. If that is not found, it uses the file xinitrc in the xinit library directory. If command line client options are given, they override this behavior and revert to the xinit(1) behavior. To determine the server to run, startx first looks for a file called .xserverrc in the user's home directory. If that is not found, it uses the file xserverrc in the xinit library directory. If command line server options are given, they override this behavior and revert to the xinit(1) behavior. Users rarely need to provide a .xserverrc file. See the xinit(1) manual page for more details on the arguments. The system-wide xinitrc and xserverrc files are found in the /etc/X11/xinit directory. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
DISPLAY This variable gets set to the name of the display to which clients should connect. Note that this gets set, not read. XAUTHORITY This variable, if not already defined, gets set to $(HOME)/.Xauthority. This is to prevent the X server, if not given the -auth argument, from automatically setting up insecure host-based authentication for the local host. See the Xserver(1) and Xsecurity(7) manual pages for more information on X client/server authentication. FILES
$(HOME)/.xinitrc Client to run. Typically a shell script which runs many programs in the background. $(HOME)/.xserverrc Server to run. The default is X. /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc Client to run if the user has no .xinitrc file. /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc Server to run if the user has no .xserverrc file. SEE ALSO
xinit(1), X(7), Xserver(1), Xorg(1), xorg.conf(5) X Version 11 xinit 1.3.2 STARTX(1)