Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help Running a Check in Bash Script Post 302510561 by fpmurphy on Monday 4th of April 2011 11:17:59 AM
Old 04-04-2011
Code:
if [[ $# != 2 ]]
then
   echo "ERROR - Number of arguments is not equal to 2"
   exit 1
fi

case $1 in
  *[^0-9]*) echo "ERROR - First argument is not integer"
  exit 1
  ;;
esac

case $2 in
  *[^0-9]*) echo "ERROR - Second argument is not integer"
  exit 1
  ;;
esac

if (( $1 > $2 ))
then
    for ((i=$1;i>=$2;i--))
    do
       echo $i
    done
elif (( $1 < $2 ))
then
    for ((i=$1;i<=$2;i++))
    do
       echo $i
    done
else
    echo $1
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

check that script is not running twice

using ps -ef | fgrep "ld_data" how do i write a script to check that it didn't already run Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Link_02
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a check platform script

Hi, I want to run a check platform & application script under ksh (Soaris boxes). It runs some commands and it take some time. I want to customize it like that: - output is too big, hence I want some output of the commands to be redirect ed in an output file (or maybe two or three) - not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: heartwork
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to check if process is running

How do I make a shell script to see if a certain process is running. The process shows up on ps aux as /usr/sbin/daemon eg: if /usr/sbin/daemon else #nothin basically i want to run the process if it isnt running/ has been stopped. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daydreamer
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to check if another script is running and if so, then sleep for sometime and check again

Hi, I am a unix newbie. I need to write a script to check wheteher another script is still running. If it is, then sleep for 30m and then check again if the script is running. If the script has stopped running then, I need to come out of the loop. I am using RHEL 5.2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathews
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check running of process

Hi, Can anyone please tell me how to write a shell script to check whether a process if running or not.... if its still running then wait for sometime and if not then run the next query. Also, Under my one main script main.sh I have to run 2 scripts simutaneously which take some time to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovepujain
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to check if a program is running

I'm a bit new to bash programming and I was assigned the job of writing a script that will check to see if a program server is running and to restart the program if it is not up. The script is supposed to check the program every hour (which I have looked up and I believe I know how to do) and send... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcknz
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script to check if script itself is running

hi guys we've had nagios spewing false alarm (for the umpteenth time) and finally the customer had enough so they're starting to question nagios. we had the check interval increased from 5 minutes to 2 minutes, but that's just temporary solution. I'm thinking of implementing a script on the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How to Check if a script is running?

Hi All, I am new to Unix... Can you please let me know how we can check if a script is running or not on Solaris box? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahul466
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check to see if script is already running

Happy New Year Is there a quick way to check to see if a script is already running. I want to put in a check in the script to exit, if already running. Currerntly i can only think of doing it the following way. # ps -ef | grep -i 3_HOUSEKEEPING_FFTVTL_TO_FFTDSSU_DUPLICATION.ksh |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junes
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to check if the script is already running?

I have one shell script in NAS shared location. Since NAS is mounted in many servers, script can be run from any of those servers. I want to make sure if the script is already running, it should not allow others to run it. I googled it and got some idea that i can touch one empty file in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasraj87
8 Replies
INTVAL(3)								 1								 INTVAL(3)

intval - Get the integer value of a variable

SYNOPSIS
int intval (mixed $var, [int $base = 10]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the integer value of $var, using the specified $base for the conversion (the default is base 10). intval(3) should not be used on objects, as doing so will emit an E_NOTICE level error and return 1. PARAMETERS
o $var - The scalar value being converted to an integer o $base - The base for the conversion Note If $base is 0, the base used is determined by the format of $var: o if string includes a "0x" (or "0X") prefix, the base is taken as 16 (hex); otherwise, o if string starts with "0", the base is taken as 8 (octal); otherwise, o the base is taken as 10 (decimal). RETURN VALUES
The integer value of $var on success, or 0 on failure. Empty arrays return 0, non-empty arrays return 1. The maximum value depends on the system. 32 bit systems have a maximum signed integer range of -2147483648 to 2147483647. So for example on such a system, intval('1000000000000') will return 2147483647. The maximum signed integer value for 64 bit systems is 9223372036854775807. Strings will most likely return 0 although this depends on the leftmost characters of the string. The common rules of integer casting apply. EXAMPLES
Example #1 intval(3) examples The following examples are based on a 32 bit system. <?php echo intval(42); // 42 echo intval(4.2); // 4 echo intval('42'); // 42 echo intval('+42'); // 42 echo intval('-42'); // -42 echo intval(042); // 34 echo intval('042'); // 42 echo intval(1e10); // 1410065408 echo intval('1e10'); // 1 echo intval(0x1A); // 26 echo intval(42000000); // 42000000 echo intval(420000000000000000000); // 0 echo intval('420000000000000000000'); // 2147483647 echo intval(42, 8); // 42 echo intval('42', 8); // 34 echo intval(array()); // 0 echo intval(array('foo', 'bar')); // 1 ?> NOTES
Note The $base parameter has no effect unless the $var parameter is a string. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Throws E_NOTICE and returns 1, when an object is | | | passed to $var. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
boolval(3), floatval(3), strval(3), settype(3), is_numeric(3), Type juggling, BCMath Arbitrary Precision Mathematics Functions. PHP Documentation Group INTVAL(3)