Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: losing ESSID
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support losing ESSID Post 302510329 by moshe88 on Sunday 3rd of April 2011 02:49:31 AM
Old 04-03-2011
losing ESSID

Hey guys, facing a weird issue - hoping someone might be able to help.

The wireless network on my laptop is configured with a static IP address. (not using nm)

When i take the laptop out of the range (or i power the router down) the essid is becoming "off/any".

When i'm back in range the connection is not reestablished and to re-enable the connection i gotta reconfigure the essid "iwconfig wlan0 essid <essid name>"

Anyone knows how to avoid that and make the essid stick unless i want to change it manually?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

losing time

Hi all, The server seems to be losing time, not a lot, but enough to be noticed. UNIX AIX 4.3.3 Any ideas, Kathy (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kburrows
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Losing ownership with gzip

I'm trying to sell the use of gzip instead of compress in our department. One issue I'm having (which is a showstopper) is that I lose the ownership when gzipping and gunzipping, though it's mentioned all over the web that files are supposed to keep ownership. Example: -rwxrwxrwx 1 ms32345 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superdelic
3 Replies

3. AIX

losing /usr/bin directory

I need help figuring out why I lose /usr/bin directory sometimes it goes down 3-4 times a day and I have to link them back using ln - /usr/bin bin I cannot figure out why this is happenning (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: smatherly
23 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Losing zero in while read

I'm using a while read statement to read in lines from a file, if a value (for example) is 1000.10 in a field, the last zero is removed leaving 1000.1 does anyone know a way to keep the field as it is in the original file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gefa
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Losing my solaris virginity

So here's the scoop. I am working on a project to automate the building of spark based solaris servers. I've got a cursory amount of knowledge of how to use the os after some pretty heavy experience with Linux, and doing a similar project there. I have a few questions though... 1) how is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Losing quotes after redirection

Hello experts, Pleas I have written a shell script to build a parfile but I keep losing the quotes from query1 and query variables after the redirection.. How do I fix this ? PARFILE=${EXPDP_BASE}/expdp_${DAY}.par USERID=$(${ORACLE_BASE}/getpass.ksh SYSTEM opnlkp2.uk.ml.com)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamathg
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

losing mail enroute

system is HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 A standard feature of almost all of our cron jobs is to redirect output to a log file, then at the end of the script to embed the contents of that log file in the body of an email sent to the IT staff. Typical code to do this is $MAILER -s "$PROC: $SUBJECT"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
3 Replies

8. Programming

Losing signal problem

I'm newbie in UNIX programming, I have a problem with signals. I'm writing multithread program, where threads can die at any moment. When thread dies it generates signal SIGUSR1 to main thread and then thread dies. Main thread gets a signal and waits for thread dead. I wrote program like this: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DendyGamer
5 Replies

9. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Losing the connection

Hi. Recently when I'm logged in to site after some seconds, for instance, I lose the connection and need sign in again. It happens on Firefox and Chrome. Or another example, when I'm logged in to site and click on my nick name (right up corner) I lose the connection to site. User: tiago ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unregistered
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Losing Time

Our Unix system is losing a considerable amount of time each day, and our support service company says our motherboard is the cause. They "upgraded" us 5 years ago to basically the same thing as what we had previously, and are looking to "upgrade" us again now for about $5,000... I think... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: Big Z
23 Replies
IWGETID(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							IWGETID(8)

NAME
iwgetid - Report ESSID, NWID or AP/Cell Address of wireless network SYNOPSIS
iwgetid [interface] [--raw] [--scheme] [--ap] [--freq] [--mode] [--protocol] [--channel] DESCRIPTION
iwgetid is used to find out the NWID, ESSID or AP/Cell Address of the wireless network that is currently used. The information reported is the same as the one shown by iwconfig, but iwgetid is easier to integrate in various scripts. By default, iwgetid will print the ESSID of the device, and if the device doesn't have any ESSID it will print its NWID. The default formatting output is pretty-print. OPTIONS
--raw This option disables pretty-printing of the information. This option is orthogonal to the other options (except --scheme), so with the appropriate combination of options you can print the raw ESSID, AP Address or Mode. This format is ideal when storing the result of iwgetid as a variable in Shell or Perl scripts or to pass the result as an argument on the command line of iwconfig. --scheme This option is similar to the previous one, it disables pretty-printing of the information and removes all characters that are not alphanumerics (like space, punctuation and control characters). The resulting output is a valid Pcmcia scheme identifier (that may be used as an argument of the command cardctl scheme). This for- mat is also ideal when using the result of iwgetid as a selector in Shell or Perl scripts, or as a file name. --ap Display the MAC address of the Wireless Access Point or the Cell. --freq Display the current frequency or channel used by the interface. --channel Display the current channel used by the interface. The channel is determined using the current frequency and the frequency list pro- vided by the interface. --mode Display the current mode of the interface. --protocol Display the protocol name of the interface. This allows to identify all the cards that are compatible with each other and accept the same type of configuration. This can also be used to check Wireless Extension support on the interface, as this is the only attribute that all drivers support- ing Wireless Extension are mandated to support. SEE ALSO
iwconfig(8), ifconfig(8), iwspy(8), iwpriv(8). wireless-tools 02 December 2003 IWGETID(8)