Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers "binary operator exected" problem Post 302510228 by TAPE on Saturday 2nd of April 2011 07:04:41 AM
Old 04-02-2011
MySQL "binary operator exected" problem

Hey guys/gals,

Am having trouble getting an 'if statement' to play nice..

I am playing with a script and need 'if' to check whether "y" or "Y" has been
entered and if not to exit.
In previous scripts I was playing with there would normally be a Y and a N response
possibility so each response would have their own 'then statement'.

In this case I want to ensure that if neither y or Y is entered that the scriupt exits.

I was hoping to get away with ;
Code:
echo -ne "the question requiring the y/n response ; "
read input
if [ "$input" != "y" ] || [ "$input" != "Y" ] ; then 
echo "blah blah" 
exit
fi

But no dice Smilie

I have tried using '-ne' but also no luck, using '!==' results in a binary operator expected error..
Just can' t seem to get it to do what I would like.

Any ideas on how best to get 'if' to confirm that the input is NOT the desired input ?

Many thanks !

Last edited by TAPE; 04-02-2011 at 08:21 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

missing binary operator before token "("

Hello every one, how are u doing? my macine has following os: ===================== Linux 2.6.18-53.el5 #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 16:34:19 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux here i am trying to compile a c++ project.i am getting the following error. error: ======= Generating... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannam srinivas
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk returning "[: ==: unary operator expected"

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting and right now I am just limited to using the pre-written scripts. I am in to Infrastructure management where we use different scripts to get the information passed on to the monitoring tools. I am trying to use this script to get the information about the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theamrit
2 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or question of my own) is: Oracle tns listener, "CT_LISTENER", and the enterprise manager (EM) of the instance, which is uniq instance and called... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: talipk
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have a problem about the Oracle related components. I'm not able to find any answer yet, and waiting for your responses... Here is the configuration of my system: * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talipk
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I use a pipe operator in a variable: OPTION="| command"?

I have a string of commands I am piping some data through and I want to allow command line switches to select which commands are used. I want to do something like this: OPTION="| command3" command1 -a -b c.txt | command2 -d -e $OPTION >result.txt I want to do it that way because OPTION may be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KenJackson
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

error "test: [-d: unary operator expected" very confused.

Im trying to check if a series of directory exists and if not create them, and am having issues. All the instances of test return with the error "test: #!/bin/bash location_Parent=~/Documents/sight_of_sound location_IMG=~/Documents/Sight_of_sound/IMG location_AUD=~/Documents/Sight_of_sound/AUD... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: orionrush
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cannot properly employ "or" operator in an if statement (bash)

Hi, I have a variable, $sername, and I would like to display this variable only if it *does not* contain either of these two tags: *DTI*FA* or *DIFF*FA*. I think the syntax for my 'or' operator is off. The variable $sername is continuously changing in an outer loop (not shown), but at the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What "-a" operator means in "if" statement

Hi I am trying to figure out what the following line does, I work in ksh88: ] && LIST="$big $LIST" Not sure what "-a" means in that case. Thanks a lot for any advice -A (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
RPMATCH(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							RPMATCH(3)

NAME
rpmatch - determine if the answer to a question is affirmative or negative SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int rpmatch(const char *response); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): rpmatch(): _SVID_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
rpmatch() handles a user response to yes or no questions, with support for internationalization. response should be a null-terminated string containing a user-supplied response, perhaps obtained with fgets(3) or getline(3). The user's language preference is taken into account per the environment variables LANG, LC_MESSAGES, and LC_ALL, if the program has called setlocale(3) to effect their changes. Regardless of the locale, responses matching ^[Yy] are always accepted as affirmative, and those matching ^[Nn] are always accepted as neg- ative. RETURN VALUE
After examining response, rpmatch() returns 0 for a recognized negative response ("no"), 1 for a recognized positive response ("yes"), and -1 when the value of response is unrecognized. ERRORS
A return value of -1 may indicate either an invalid input, or some other error. It is incorrect to only test if the return value is nonzero. rpmatch() can fail for any of the reasons that regcomp(3) or regexec(3) can fail; the cause of the error is not available from errno or anywhere else, but indicates a failure of the regex engine (but this case is indistinguishable from that of an unrecognized value of response). CONFORMING TO
rpmatch() is not required by any standard, but is available on a few other systems. BUGS
The rpmatch() implementation looks at only the first character of response. As a consequence, "nyes" returns 0, and "ynever; not in a mil- lion years" returns 1. It would be preferable to accept input strings much more strictly, for example (using the extended regular expres- sion notation described in regex(7)): ^([yY]|yes|YES)$ and ^([nN]|no|NO)$. EXAMPLE
The following program displays the results when rpmatch() is applied to the string given in the program's command-line argument. #define _SVID_SOURCE #include <locale.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> #include <stdio.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { if (argc != 2 || strcmp(argv[1], "--help") == 0) { fprintf(stderr, "%s response ", argv[0]); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } setlocale(LC_ALL, ""); printf("rpmatch() returns: %d ", rpmatch(argv[1])); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
fgets(3), getline(3), nl_langinfo(3), regcomp(3), setlocale(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2007-07-26 RPMATCH(3)