Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help please with Grep/Sed command to extract text and numbers from a file Post 302510117 by mnassiri on Friday 1st of April 2011 02:38:00 PM
Old 04-01-2011
this is what I types and it produces blank- Also I need t oprint the entire line
Code:
grep -o 'ALPHANUMERIC [0-9]*' test

Last edited by Franklin52; 04-02-2011 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep or awk problem, unable to extract numbers

Hi, I've trouble getting some numbers from a html-file. The thing is that I have several html-logs that contains lines like this: nerdnerd, how_old_r_u:45782<br>APPLY: <hour_second> Verification succeded This is some of what I've extracted from a html file but all I really want is the number... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: baghera
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed to grep only numbers in string

Hi, I would like to get only number in the following strings. var1="Type20" var2="type 3" var3="value 2" var4="Type 1 Datacenter Hall 2" I would like to extract output as 20 from var1 and 3 from var2,2 from var3 and 1 from var4. Appreciate any one help asap.. Regards, Aji (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajilesh
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to extract only floating point numbers from HTML

Hi All, I'm trying to extract some floating point numbers from within some HTML code like this: <TR><TD class='awrc'>Parse CPU to Parse Elapsd %:</TD><TD ALIGN='right' class='awrc'> 64.50</TD><TD class='awrc'>% Non-Parse CPU:</TD><TD ALIGN='right' class='awrc'> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bash/grep/awk/sed: How to extract every appearance of text between two specific strings

I have a text wich looks like this: clid=2 cid=6 client_database_id=35 client_nickname=Peter client_type=0|clid=3 cid=22 client_database_id=57 client_nickname=Paul client_type=0|clid=5 cid=22 client_database_id=7 client_nickname=Mary client_type=0|clid=6 cid=22 client_database_id=6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pioneer1976
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract numbers from text file work out average

Just wondering if someone could assist me with shell script I'm trying to write. I need to read the final column of a text file (shown below) and workout what the average number is. The text file will have a variable number of lines, I just want the script to pull out the values in the final field... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use grep sed or awk to extract string from log file and put into CSV

I'd like to copy strings from a log file and put them into a CSV. The strings could be on different line numbers, depending on size of log. Example Log File: File = foo.bat Date = 11/11/11 User = Foo Bar Size = 1024 ... CSV should look like: "foo.bat","11/11/11","Foo Bar","1024" (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipperuga
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - extract text from xml file

hi, please help, i have an xml file, e.g: ... <tag> test text asdas="${abc}" xvxvbs:asdas${222}sdad asasa="${aa_bb_22}" </tag> ... i want to extract all "${...}", e.g: ${abc} ${222} ${aa_bb_22} thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gioni
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract only decimal numbers for a glob of text

If you have a look at this thread, you'll see that users have been posting the output a script which are numbers that range from 2 to 5 decimal places. If I dump this entire thread to txt file, how can I: 1) Delete everything except for numbers of the following formats (where 'x' is a digit and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed - extract a group of Letters/numbers

I have a file with hundreds of lines in it. I wanted to extract anything that matches the following: KR followed by 4 digits: example KR1201 cat list | sed "s///g" Is the closest I've come, and obviously it is not what I want. This would remove all of the items that I want and leave me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script extract text from txt file with grep

All, I require a script that grabs some text from the gitHub API and will grep (or other function) for a string a characters that starts with (") quotes followed by two letters, may contain a pipe |, and ending with ) . What i have so far is below but it's not returning anything. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChocoTaco
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)