Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Can't Open Display localhost:0.0 Post 302510068 by pludi on Friday 1st of April 2011 12:43:51 PM
Old 04-01-2011
Just an idea: instead of setting the DISPLAY variable manually, why not enable X11 Forwarding in PuTTY (Connection -> SSH -> X11)? That way the variable is set automagically, and all X11 data is sent through an encrypted link.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to open display from windows to solaris?

How can I telnet from my windows XP machine to my Ultra 60 and run firefox? I am unable to open the display using /usr/openwin/bin/xhost like I do from one Sun machine to another? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ridgeback00
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xhost: unable to open display????

I am a dba, not an sa, that recently had to take over administering an HP-UX server. Needless to say I am not in a comfortable area, but found out that of all people I am the most knowledgeable on unix here .... scary thought I know. I am having troubles exporting my display to a Windows XP... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: soestx
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

xhost unable to open display

I am trying to install ORACLE 10g database on HP-UNIX 11.11 I am running OUI runinstaller from exceed terminal from windows PC. I have set DISPLAY=IPAddress of PC:0.0 When installer starts it is giving me error of display (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ymg
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

localhost problem!

hello guys, this morning when I start my pc (gentoo) I get some strange errors about localhost. "Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName" ... Apache the same for my aplications, I have to use the full address of my pc instead of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: georgeplus
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"Gtk-WARNING cannot open display" from ssh

I am trying to do something on another computer through ssh and I keep getting this:"(gedit:6169): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:"I have googled the interweb and this forum and found many posts but nothing seems to work. I have freshly installed Ubuntu 8.10 with updates on the machine and I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrabbit6
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

Error: Can't open display: :0.0

Hi, I get errors while running xclock from a non root user: # xclock --- this works fine # su - girish $ DISPLAY=:0.0; export DISPLAY $ xclock Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: No protocol specified Error: Can't open display: :0.0 $ I basically want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish1428
4 Replies

7. Solaris

X11 and "Cannot Open Display" errors

Greetings Forumers! I'm posting a solution to an Issue I ran into this week: Getting applications to display on another through X11 and SSH. I have run into this issue many years ago and finally found my notes. Some of you may already know the answer to this issue but it took me a while to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xWindows error: xhost unable to open display

I am trying to direct a AIX display to my XWindows and I am at a dead end now! So this what I've done so far: 1. In putty settings, I set "Enable X11 forwarding" and also set "X diplay location" to "localhost:0" (without quotes, of course) 2. Via putty, connected to my AIX server 3. On... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoefiend
1 Replies

9. Linux

(PMT:6498): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Hai (PMT:6498): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: how to solve this in linux Double post.. continue here (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayd
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

(PMT:6498): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Error message: (PMT:6498): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: How to solve this issue in linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinayd
1 Replies
XmGetPixmapByDepth(3X)													    XmGetPixmapByDepth(3X)

NAME
XmGetPixmapByDepth - A pixmap caching function that generates a pixmap, stores it in a pixmap cache, and returns the pixmap SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> Pixmap XmGetPixmapByDepth (screen, image_name, foreground, background, depth) Screen *screen; char *image_name; Pixel foreground; Pixel background; int depth; DESCRIPTION
XmGetPixmapByDepth uses the parameter data to perform a lookup in the pixmap cache to see if a pixmap has already been generated that matches the data. If one is found, a reference count is incremented and the pixmap is returned. Applications should use XmDestroyPixmap when the pixmap is no longer needed. If a matching pixmap is not found, image_name is used to perform a lookup in the image cache. If an image is found, it is used to generate the pixmap, which is then cached and returned. If an image is not found, image_name is used as a filename, and a search is made for an X10 or X11 bitmap file. If it is found, the file is read, converted into an image, and cached in the image cache. The image is then used to generate a pixmap, which is cached and returned. If image_name has a leading slash (/), it specifies a full pathname, and XmGetPixmapByDepth opens the file as specified. Otherwise, image_name specifies a filename. In this case XmGetPixmapByDepth looks for the file along a search path specified by the XBMLANGPATH envi- ronment variable or by a default search path, which varies depending on whether or not the XAPPLRESDIR environment variable is set. The XBMLANGPATH environment variable specifies a search path for X bitmap files. It can contain the substitution field %B, where the image_name argument to XmGetPixmapByDepth is substituted for %B. It can also contain the substitution fields accepted by XtResolvePathname. The substitution field %T is always mapped to bitmaps, and %S is always mapped to NULL. If XBMLANGPATH is not set, but the environment variable XAPPLRESDIR is set, the following pathnames are searched: %B $XAPPLRESDIR/%L/bitmaps/%N/%B $XAPPLRESDIR/%l/bitmaps/%N/%B $XAPPLRESDIR/bitmaps/%N/%B $XAPPLRESDIR/%L/bitmaps/%B $XAPPLRESDIR/%l/bitmaps/%B $XAPPLRESDIR/bitmaps/%B $HOME/bitmaps/%B $HOME/%B /usr/lib/X11/%L/bitmaps/%N/%B /usr/lib/X11/%l/bitmaps/%N/%B /usr/lib/X11/bitmaps/%N/%B /usr/lib/X11/%L/bitmaps/%B /usr/lib/X11/%l/bitmaps/%B /usr/lib/X11/bitmaps/%B /usr/include/X11/bitmaps/%B If neither XBMLANGPATH nor XAPPLRESDIR is set, the following pathnames are searched: %B $HOME/%L/bitmaps/%N/%B $HOME/%l/bitmaps/%N/%B $HOME/bitmaps/%N/%B $HOME/%L/bitmaps/%B $HOME/%l/bitmaps/%B $HOME/bitmaps/%B $HOME/%B /usr/lib/X11/%L/bitmaps/%N/%B /usr/lib/X11/%l/bitmaps/%N/%B /usr/lib/X11/bitmaps/%N/%B /usr/lib/X11/%L/bitmaps/%B /usr/lib/X11/%l/bitmaps/%B /usr/lib/X11/bitmaps/%B /usr/include/X11/bitmaps/%B These paths are defaults that vendors may change. For example, a vendor may use different directories for /usr/lib/X11 and /usr/include/X11. The following substitutions are used in these paths: The image name, from the image_name argument The class name of the application The display's language string The language component of the display's language string Parameter descriptions are listed below: Specifies the display screen on which the pixmap is to be drawn Specifies the name of the image to be used to generate the pixmap Combines the image with the foreground color to create the pixmap if the image referenced is a bit-per-pixel image Combines the image with the background color to create the pixmap if the image referenced is a bit-per-pixel image Specifies the depth of the pixmap RETURN VALUE
Returns a pixmap when successful; returns XmUNSPECIFIED_PIXMAP if the image corresponding to image_name cannot be found. SEE ALSO
XmDestroyPixmap(3X), XmInstallImage(3X), XmUninstallImage(3X) XmGetPixmapByDepth(3X)