Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell script to edit a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell script to edit a file Post 302509926 by jacky29 on Friday 1st of April 2011 05:18:38 AM
Old 04-01-2011
shell script to edit a file

i have a file called number which contains data as

1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 0
9 8 7 6 5
4 3 2 1 0

0 1 2 3 4

needed a shell script to print the output as

and

1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9
9 8 7
4 3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to edit txt file by shell script?

What I want to do is just delete some lines from a text file, I know it's easy using copy and redirect function, but what I have to do is edit this file (delete the lines) directly, as new lines may be added to the text file during this period. Can AIX do this ? # cat text 1:line1 2:line2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dupeng
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to edit the content of a file

Hi I need some help using shell script to edit a file. My original file has the following format: /txt/email/myemail.txt /txt/email/myemail2.txt /pdf/email/myemail.pdf /pdf/email/myemail2.pdf /doc/email/myemail.doc /doc/email/myemail2.doc I need to read each line. If the path is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger99
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit a config file using shell script

I need to edit a config file using shell script. i.e., Search with the 'key' string and edit the 'value'. For eg: below is what I have in the config file "configfile.cfg". Key1=OldValue1 Key2=OldValue2 I want to search for "Key1" and change "OldValue1" to "NewValue1" Thanks for your... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshomallur
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to edit file and delete entry

Can anyone provide me a shell script to edit a xml file and delete one entry. To do manually i can edit(vi editor) the file and 'dd' will delete the file.But I wiluld to know if I can do with a script. Thanks in advance Tannu (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tannu
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to edit particular cell of csv file using shell script

I have one csv file and in that I want update particular cell. I know the row and coloumn number for that respective. Please help me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepak_p86
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we edit crontab using a shell script

Hi, Can some one tell me if we can configure the jobs in crontab using a shell script. I know it can be done easily by using "crontab -e", but i just want to know whether we can add a job into the crontab using a shell script. If it can be done, plz suggest the procedure to do it. If it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudrarajumk
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to edit a file

Hello, I have a big file in wich I would like to rename inside this exactly the string '_ME' and not rename in case we have 'ABC_MELANGE'. Is there a way to do it by using a shell script? Any tip will be apreciated. The file is like described bellow, after using command more filename : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Titas
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating using shell script : edit the file in a directory

I am trying to automate hadoop installation procedure using shell script. It involves go to perticular directory and add some more lines to the file /etc/sysctl.conf. How this can be done? Regards Navaz (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Abdul Navaz
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Edit the file in shell script

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am trying to automate hadoop installation procedure using shell script. It involves go to perticular directory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abdul Navaz
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open and edit a file using a shell script

Hello Folks, I have a file named as date.dat present at /tmp/abc location which has following data - 20161030,20161031,20161101 I need to remove this line and replace it with something like below - $param1,$param2,$param3 Param1, Param2 and param3 stores the date based on some calculation in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
1 Replies
IDLE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   IDLE(1)

NAME
IDLE - An Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python SYNTAX
idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] [ file ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] ( -c cmd | -r file ) [ arg ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] - [ arg ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the idle command. This manual page was written for Debian because the original program does not have a manual page. For more information, refer to IDLE's help menu. IDLE is an Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python. IDLE is based on Tkinter, Python's bindings to the Tk widget set. Features are 100% pure Python, multi-windows with multiple undo and Python colorizing, a Python shell window subclass, a debugger. IDLE is cross-plat- form, i.e. it works on all platforms where Tk is installed. OPTIONS
-h Print this help message and exit. -n Run IDLE without a subprocess (see Help/IDLE Help for details). The following options will override the IDLE 'settings' configuration: -e Open an edit window. -i Open a shell window. The following options imply -i and will open a shell: -c cmd Run the command in a shell, or -r file Run script from file. -d Enable the debugger. -s Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP before anything else. -t title Set title of shell window. A default edit window will be bypassed when -c, -r, or - are used. [arg]* and [file]* are passed to the command (-c) or script (-r) in sys.argv[1:]. EXAMPLES
idle Open an edit window or shell depending on IDLE's configuration. idle foo.py foobar.py Edit the files, also open a shell if configured to start with shell. idle -est "Baz" foo.py Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP, edit foo.py, and open a shell window with the title "Baz". idle -c "import sys; print sys.argv" "foo" Open a shell window and run the command, passing "-c" in sys.argv[0] and "foo" in sys.argv[1]. idle -d -s -r foo.py "Hello World" Open a shell window, run a startup script, enable the debugger, and run foo.py, passing "foo.py" in sys.argv[0] and "Hello World" in sys.argv[1]. echo "import sys; print sys.argv" | idle - "foobar" Open a shell window, run the script piped in, passing '' in sys.argv[0] and "foobar" in sys.argv[1]. SEE ALSO
python(1). AUTHORS
Various. 21 September 2004 IDLE(1)