Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to make arrays from strings in bash? Post 302509807 by camocazi on Thursday 31st of March 2011 07:16:58 PM
Old 03-31-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubler_XL
This should do it:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
RunsArray=( $(sed -n '/set Runs/{s/.*(//; s/)$//p}' SortScans) )

echo RunsArray elements: ${#RunsArray[@]}
echo Number 0: ${RunsArray[0]}
echo Number 1: ${RunsArray[1]}

Thanks very much, I will try that. But will this work without the final forward slash for the sed command - after the } and before the '? Could you explain why it isn't needed there?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two arrays or strings in bash

Hi there, im having issue with comparing two variables, in a bash script. im trying to do the following: - get a word from user 1 - split the word into array - get a character from user2 trying to compare the character entered by user 2 with every single character in the array... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2Linux
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arrays in bash.need help

:confused: Is it possible to delete array elements dynamically.For instance,consider an array( a b c d ) ,now can i delete array (the third element 'c').So that the array becomes array(a b d).. Thanks in advance!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tj23
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

arrays in bash

hi guys, i have the following script and when i run it i get blank lines on the screen.. i am trying to display the contents of array var.. #!/usr/bin/bash var=`awk 'NR>20&&NR<31' try.sum | awk '{print $4}'` echo "${var}" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make your bash script run on a machine with csh and bash

hi, i have a script that runs on bash and would like to run it on a machine that has csh and bash. the default setting on that machine is csh. i dont want to change my code to run it with a csh shell. is there any way i can run the script (written in bash) on this machine? in other words is there... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

subtraction in bash arrays

hi i am using bash shell to perform some subraction. here is what i have: i have a while loop and am using i as a counter. diff= `expr ${ARRAY1} - ${ARRAY2}` for example array1 has -0.7145 and array2 has -0.7041. when i try the above command, i get expr: non-numeric argument. any... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strings in arrays

Hi There, Code: Number=10 i=1 while do echo "$i" Check=`find $viewing -name $File_Pattern -type f -Print` i=`expr ${i} + 1` done Unable to store the values in variable 'Check', when i display i am getting Check nothing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Naveen_5960
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare strings between 2 arrays and print number in AWK

Hi to everyone, Please some help over here. Hi have array a with 6 elements and array b with 3 elements as shown inside BEGIN{} statement. I need help to get the correct sintax (the part in red) to compare if string from array b is in array a and print the number related for each match.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store the last 10 strings. A way to make it elegant?

Hello, Please find an ugly code. bouuu. It shall work onto RAM only to update from the last 10 strings from $URLTO. I shall read first : "$HOME/.fvwmoscfg/fvwmclipboardmplayerplayurl10.ini" The code works but it is very ugly. How could it be made elegant please? Thank you ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: french00b
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arrays in bash using strings to bash built-in true

I have the following code and for some reason when I call the program using /home/tcdata/tatsh/trunk/hstmy/bin/bash/raytrac.bash --cmod=jcdint.cmod I get hasArgument = hasArgument = true Somehow the array element is returning even though I have not chosen the option. ... (41 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
41 Replies

10. Programming

Arrays of strings in GFORTRAN errors

Hello I am using gfortran and I intended to do thiis: Module variables character(len=:), dimension(:), allocatable, array end module variables Sub test use variables integer (max_len) max_len=len_trim("something here") if(.not.allocated(array))... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pepe
1 Replies
Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)

NAME
Alien::Package::Rpm - an object that represents a rpm package DESCRIPTION
This is an object class that represents a rpm package. It is derived from Alien::Package. FIELDS
prefixes Relocatable rpm packages have a prefixes field. METHODS
checkfile Detect rpm files by their extention. install Install a rpm. If RPMINSTALLOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. scan Implement the scan method to read a rpm file. unpack Implement the unpack method to unpack a rpm file. This is a little nasty because it has to handle relocatable rpms and has to do a bit of permissions fixing as well. prep Prepare for package building by generating the spec file. cleantree Delete the spec file. build Build a rpm. If RPMBUILDOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. An optional parameter, if passed, can be used to specify the program to use to build the rpm. It defaults to rpmbuild. version Set/get version. When retreiving the version, remove any dashes in it. postinst postrm preinst prerm Set/get script fields. When retrieving a value, we have to do some truely sick mangling. Since debian/slackware scripts can be anything -- perl programs or binary files -- and rpm is limited to only shell scripts, we need to encode the files and add a scrap of shell script to make it unextract and run on the fly. When setting a value, we do some mangling too. Rpm maintainer scripts are typically shell scripts, but often lack the leading shebang line. This can confuse dpkg, so add the shebang if it looks like there is no shebang magic already in place. Additionally, it's not uncommon for rpm maintainer scripts to contain bashisms, which can be triggered when they are ran on systems where /bin/sh is not bash. To work around this, the shebang line of the scripts is changed to use bash. Also, if the rpm is relocatable, the script could refer to RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX, which is set by rpm at run time. Deal with this by adding code to the script to set RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX. arch Set/get arch field. When the arch field is set, some sanitizing is done first to convert it to the debian format used internally. When it's retreived it's converted back to rpm form from the internal form. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> perl v5.12.3 2011-06-11 Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)