Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Suggestion to convert data in rows to data in columns Post 302509623 by kush on Thursday 31st of March 2011 09:54:05 AM
Old 03-31-2011
Thanks a lot to rdcwayx!

The thing is that this commad you have written here works, but in the end im getting same file, unfortunately, i mean, again rows instead of columns (does it overwrite the initial file?).
thank u very much! and sorry if i have asked something wrong!
kush

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert two column data into 8 columns

Apologies if this has been covered - I did search but couldn't find what I was looking for. I have a simple X-Y input file. I want to convert it from two columns into 8 columns - 4 pairs of X-Y data. So my input file looks like X1 Y1 X2 Y2 X3 Y3 X4 Y4 X5 Y5 etc And I want it to look... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: NickC
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data in Rows to Columns

Hi, I am a beginner in bash&perl. I have data in form of:- A 1 B 2 C 3 D 4 E 5 I would like your help to find a simple way to change it to :- A B C D E 1 2 3 4 5 Any help would be highly appreciated. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umaars
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose columns to Rows : Big data

Hi, I did read a few posts on the subjects, tried out a few solutions, but did not solve my problem. https://www.unix.com/302121568-post11.html https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/137953-large-file-columns-into-rows-etc-4.html Please help. Problem very similar to the second link... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
15 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert Rows to Columns Specific Data

I have this data M36 AREA INFORMATION MDN = 0485009346 ESN = H'15fda0b0 TYPE = HLR RESULT = NOK REASON = UNRECOGNIZED MIN COMPLETED AREA INFORMATION MDN = 0498044402 ESN = H'15fdac11 TYPE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krabu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for a Perl newcomer! Transposing data from columns to rows

I have to create a Perl script which will transpose the data output from my experiment, from columns to rows, in order for me to analyse the data. I am a complete Perl novice so any help would be greatly appreciated. The data as it stands looks like this: Subject Condition Fp1 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sarah_W
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose Data from Columns to rows

Hello. very new to shell scripting and would like to know if anyone could help me. I have data thats being pulled into a txt file and currently have to manually transpose the data which is taking a long time to do. here is what the data looks like. Server1 -- Date -- Other -- value... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mikes88
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert nxm Matrix into columns of data

Dear Unixers, I'm having some difficulty in converting an n x m data matrix into a dataset of 3 columns and nxm rows. As an example I want to convert this dataset 2 3 4 5 2 0.0 0.0 0.1 0.1 6 -0.3 2.0 0.0 0.3 7 -0.6 -1.1 0.5 0.3 9 -0.9 -4.1 -0.7 0.5 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintin72
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Column data values to rows

Hi all , I have a file with the below content Header Section employee|employee name||Job description|Job code|Unitcode|Account|geography|C1|C2|C3|C4|C5|C6|C7|C8|C9|Csource|Oct|Nov|Dec|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sep Data section ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose comma delimited data in rows to columns

Hello, I have a bilingual database with the following structure a,b,c=d,e,f The right half is in a Left to right script and the second is in a Right to left script as the examples below show What I need is to separate out the database such that the first word on the left hand matches the first... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from specific rows and columns from multiple csv files

I have a series of csv files in the following format eg file1 Experiment Name,XYZ_07/28/15, Specimen Name,Specimen_001, Tube Name, Control, Record Date,7/28/2015 14:50, $OP,XYZYZ, GUID,abc, Population,#Events,%Parent All Events,10500, P1,10071,95.9 Early Apoptosis,1113,11.1 Late... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
6 Replies
Table(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						Table(3pm)

NAME
Tk::Table - Scrollable 2 dimensional table of Tk widgets SYNOPSIS
use Tk::Table; $table = $parent->Table(-rows => number, -columns => number, -scrollbars => anchor, -fixedrows => number, -fixedcolumns => number, -takefocus => boolean); $widget = $table->Button(...); $old = $table->put($row,$col,$widget); $old = $table->put($row,$col,"Text"); # simple Label $widget = $table->get($row,$col); $cols = $table->totalColumns; $rows = $table->totalRows; $table->see($widget); $table->see($row,$col); ($row,$col) = $table->Posn($widget); DESCRIPTION
Tk::Table is an all-perl widget/geometry manager which allows a two dimensional table of arbitary perl/Tk widgets to be displayed. Entries in the Table are simply ordinary perl/Tk widgets. They should be created with the Table as their parent. Widgets are positioned in the table using: $table->put($row,$col,$widget) If $widget is not a reference it is treated as a string, and a Lable widget is created with the string as its text. All the widgets in each column are set to the same width - the requested width of the widest widget in the column. Likewise, all the widgets in each row are set to the same height - the requested height of the tallest widget in the column. A number of rows and/or columns can be marked as 'fixed' - and so can serve as 'headings' for the remainder the rows which are scrollable. The requested size of the table as a whole is such that the number of rows specified by -rows (default 10), and number of columns specified by -columns (default 10) can be displayed. If the Table is told it can take the keyboard focus then cursor and scroll keys scroll the displayed widgets. The Table will create and manage its own scrollbars if requested via -scrollbars. The table can be emptied using $table->clear the widgets which were in the table are destroyed. The Tk::Table widget is derived from a Tk::Frame, so inherits all its configure options. BUGS
/ Snags / Possible enhancements o Very large Tables consume a lot of X windows. o No equivalent of pack's -anchor/-pad etc. options SEE ALSO
Tk::grid, Tk::HList, Tk::TableMatrix, Tk::MListbox, Tk::Columns perl v5.14.2 2010-05-29 Table(3pm)