Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help passing variable from script Post 302509559 by Grueben on Thursday 31st of March 2011 05:08:20 AM
Old 03-31-2011
help passing variable from script

Hello,

How can I pass a variable into a 2nd file? I'm running a script:
ls -la $1 >pem99
cat pem99 | awk '{ print $3}' >us99
cat us99 | read us98
This then tells me the owner of a file.
my second file is:
echo OWNER GROUP OTHERS
echo
echo --data-- $us98

but all it's not resolving the variable..

As usual any help much appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing awk variable to the shell script

hi; i have a file containing lines like: 1|1069108123|96393669788|00963215755711|2|0|941||;serv:Pps6aSyria;first:0;bear i want to extract the second, third and fourth record of each line and store it in a file ";" seperated this is what i wrote while read line do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcheaib
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing ip address as a variable to script for ftp

Still a Beginner here .. Does anyone no how to get the IP address of the machine thats logged in (bearing in mind there will be others logged in) while they are logged in to the Unix server and pass this as a variable to a shell script so as I can FTP files to that machine via a shell script, at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gerry405
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing a variable into an awk script

Hello all, I'm trying to run a script of this format - for i in $(cat <file>); do grep $i <file1>|awk '{print $i, $1, $2}' It's not working - does anyone know how this can be done? Khoom (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing variable to my script

Hello everybody: Im trying to run the following script on my sol9 machine: line='' ((lineCount= 0)) export lineCount more /tmp/MSISDNs | wc -l > /tmp/tmp cat /tmp/tmp | read lineCount export lineCount; while (( lineCount > 0 )) do line= tail -$lineCount... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aladdin
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing asterisk to a script as variable

I'm writing a script that will ssh to a number of hosts and run commands. I'm a bit stumped at the moment as some of the commands that I need to run contain wildcards (i.e. *), and so far I have not figured out how to escape the * character so the script doesn't expand it. More specifically, here's... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: GKnight
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable from shell script to python script

I have a shell script main.sh which inturn call the python script ofdm.py, I want to pass two variables from shell script to python script for its execution. How do i achieve this ????? Eg: main.sh a=3 b=3; c= a+b exec python ofdm.py ofdm.py d=c+a Thanks in Anticipation (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable as an argument to another script

Hi, I am trying to pass a variable as an argument to another script. While substitution of variable, I am facing a problem. varaiable "a" value should be -b "FPT MAIN". When we pass "a" to another script, we are expecing it to get substitue as ./test.sh -b "FPT MAIN". But, it is getting... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manasa Pradeep
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable from called script to the caller script

Hi all, Warm regards! I am in a difficult situation here. I have been trying to create a shell script which calls another shell script inside. Here is a simplified version of the same. Calling Script. #!/bin/ksh # want to run as a different process... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LoneRanger
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable from file to sql from script

Hi Friend, I have one file in which some number are mentioned and number of lines are vary every time And i need to pass that number to my sql command from script. Suppose i have file acc.txt 45456546456 45464564565 67854353454 67657612132 Number of records are vary every time.... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
20 Replies

10. Web Development

Passing variable from PHP to bash script

I am totally new to PHP and I am trying to create a script that will as a user for a hostname and then use the "hostname" variable to generate a report using REST API. I am able to create the html script and php script to GET the "hostname" but I am having trouble passing the hostname variable... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
10 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timeing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), replay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux