Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash, finding highest number in another file Post 302509496 by Chubler_XL on Thursday 31st of March 2011 12:26:12 AM
Old 03-31-2011
Code:
#!/bin/bash
min=100
max=0
while read grade
do
    [ $min -gt $grade ] && min=$grade
    [ $max -lt $grade ] && max=$grade
done < ./grades

echo "Your highest quiz score is" $max
echo "Your lowest quiz score is" $min

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the highest number in the file

Hi, I have a file a.txt and it has values in it Eg :- I need to read through the file and find the number that is the greatest in them all. Can any one assit me on this. Thanks (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemali
30 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding line with highest number in a file

Hi All, My file looks some thing like this, File 1: - A 10 B 30 C 5 D 25 E 72 F 23 now my requirement is to find the line with highest number in it, i;e the result should be E 72 Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balu_puttaganti
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying lines of a file which have the highest number?

Hello Wondering if anybody may be able to advise on how I can filter the contents of the following file: <object_name>-<version> <Instance> GM_GUI_code.fmb-4 1 GM_GUI_code.fmb-5 1 GM_GUI_code.fmx-4 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract the highest number out

Hi Gurus, I've using HPUX B.11.23 U ia64 with shell = sh. I've been having some problem get the highest number of this script. Actually I wanted to get the highest number from this listing (TEST123 data and based on this highest number, there will be email being sent out. For example,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: superHonda123
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

the smallest number from 90% of highest numbers from all numbers in file

Hello All, I am having problem to find what is the smallest number from 90% of highest numbers from all numbers in file. I am having file with thousands of lines and hundreds of columns. I am familiar mainly with bash but I am open to whatever suggestion witch will lead to the solutions. If I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Apfik
11 Replies

6. Programming

Help with find highest and smallest number in a file with c

Input file: #data_1 AGDG #data_2 ADG #data_3 ASDDG DG #data_4 A Desired result: Highest 7 Slowest 1 code that I try but failed to archive my goal :( #include <stdio.h> (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpp_beginner
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the highest value(in negative)

Hi all, I have a simple problem. I have given an example of the problem below. There are 4 space-delimited columns. 2655 96 IA -0.8179 2655 96 IA -0.9144 2655 96 CPU -0.4275 2655 96 RMA -0.3407 2655 96 IA -0.9373 2655 96 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysean
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Only print the entries with the highest number?

Just want to say this is great resources for all thing Unix!! cat tmp.txt A 3 C 19 A 2 B 5 A 1 A 0 C 13 B 9 C 1 Desired output: A 3 B 9 C 19 The following work but I am wondering if there is a better way to do it: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chirish
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort from highest to lowest number

Hi Guys, I am looking for a way to sort the output below from the "Inuse" count from Highest to Lowest. Is it possible? Thanks in advance. user1 0.12 0.06 0 0.12 User Inuse Pin Pgsp Virtual Unit:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaapar
4 Replies
LAM(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    LAM(1)

NAME
lam -- laminate files SYNOPSIS
lam [-f min.max] [-s sepstring] [-t c] file ... lam [-p min.max] [-s sepstring] [-t c] file ... DESCRIPTION
The lam utility copies the named files side by side onto the standard output. The n-th input lines from the input files are considered frag- ments of the single long n-th output line into which they are assembled. The name `-' means the standard input, and may be repeated. Normally, each option affects only the file after it. If the option letter is capitalized it affects all subsequent files until it appears again uncapitalized. The options are described below: -f min.max Print line fragments according to the format string min.max, where min is the minimum field width and max the maximum field width. If min begins with a zero, zeros will be added to make up the field width, and if it begins with a `-', the fragment will be left- adjusted within the field. -p min.max Like -f, but pad this file's field when end-of-file is reached and other files are still active. -s sepstring Print sepstring before printing line fragments from the next file. This option may appear after the last file. -t c The input line terminator is c instead of a newline. The newline normally appended to each output line is omitted. To print files simultaneously for easy viewing use pr(1). EXAMPLES
The command lam file1 file2 file3 file4 joins 4 files together along each line. To merge the lines from four different files use lam file1 -S " " file2 file3 file4 Every 2 lines of a file may be joined on one line with lam - - < file and a form letter with substitutions keyed by `@' can be done with lam -t @ letter changes SEE ALSO
join(1), paste(1), pr(1), printf(3) STANDARDS
Some of the functionality of lam is standardized as the paste(1) utility by IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). BUGS
The lam utility does not recognize multibyte characters. BSD
August 12, 2004 BSD