Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script for Date conversion from mm/dd/yy to mm/dd/yyyy Post 302509462 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 30th of March 2011 09:51:02 PM
Old 03-30-2011
Not sure if you need to deal with 1900 dates too:

Code:
$ echo "12_23_92.pdf
01_01_08.txt
01_10_60.txt" | 
sed -e 's/\([0-9][0-9]\)_\([0-9][0-9]\)_\([3-9][0-9]\)\./\1_\2_19\3./' -e 's/\([0-9][0-9]\)_\([0-9][0-9]\)_\([0-2][0-9]\)\./\1_\2_20\3./'
12_23_1992.pdf
01_01_2008.txt
01_10_1960.txt

Otherwise:
Code:
sed 's/\([0-9][0-9]\)_\([0-9][0-9]\)_\([0-2][0-9]\)\./\1_\2_20\3./'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script for date conversion

hi awk script for dd/mm/yyyy to yyyymmdd awk script for dd-mon-yyyy to yyyymmdd awk script for dd-mm-yyyy to yyyymmdd formate ..............urgent............. Thanks in advanced (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: charandevu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Date from dd-mmm-yyyy to mm/dd/yyyy

I want to change a date from format dd-mmm-yyyy to mm/dd/yyyy. Is there a way to do this with sed or do you have to write a case statement to convert JAN to 01? Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: stringzz
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to extract last date field (yyyy/mm/dd)

Hi Friends, I've a special requirement, even though I know how to implement this using shell scripting, current requirement is PERL, in which I'm not much familiar !!!. I've a record, which has around 200 fields, out of which I need to extract only one date value from the 97th field (this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganapati
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting the date field from dd/mm/yyyy to yyyy/mm/dd

How to convert the date field from dd/mm/yyyy to yyyy/mm/dd in unix my script will generate text file which have two fields one is date and another is name of the server for example this is sample date which I have to sort based on older to newer date the problem is when I found out sort will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

change date format from yyyy/mm/dd to dd/mm/yyyy

(Attention: Green PHP newbie !) I have an online inquiry form, delivering a date in the form yyyy/mm/dd to my feedback form. If the content passes several checks, the form sends an e-mail to me. All works fine. I just would like to receive the date in the form dd/mm/yyyy. I tried with some code,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: keyboarder
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting date DD MM YYYY to DD MON YYYY

Hello, I am writing a script that parses different logs and produces one. In the source files, the date is in DD MM YYYY HH24:MI:SS format. In the output, it should be in DD MON YYY HH24:MI:SS (ie 25 Jan 2010 16:10:10) To extract the dates, I am using shell substrings, i.e.: read line ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adamm
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date conversion help from dd/mm/yyyy to dd/Mon/yyyy i.e. 28/10/2012 to 28/Oct/2012

Hi I have a problem with Date format in my code. 1st I am trying to convert today's date to yesterday's using YESTERDAY3=`perl -e '@y=localtime(time()-86400); printf "%04d/%02d/%02d",$y+1900,$y+1,$y;$y;'` And once it is done I am trying to using the yesterday date in a grep command to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithinankam
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Epoch date to YYYY/MM/DD or MM/DD/YYYY

I've seen a lot of posts on this and have tried the following: echo 1257000000| perl -e '($d,$m,$y)=(localtime(time-86400));$m+=1;$y+=1900;printf "$y/$m/$d\n";' But I am unable to convert a past Epoch date into a format such as YYYY/MM/DD or MM/DD/YYYY. I am using bash and don't know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Format MM/DD/YYYY

I am changing epoch times to dates. I was able to do the following: echo "$varx" | gawk '{print strftime("%c", $0)}' Mon Dec 31 16:26:40 2012 This changes the epoch date (which is what varx is) into localtime. However, my problem is that I only want 12/31/2012 and not the Mon Dec 31... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date format YYYY/MM/DD to DD/MM/YYYY

I am getting output of YYYY-MM-DD and want to change this to DD/MM/YYYY. When am running the query in 'Todd' to_date(column_name,'DD/MM/YYYY') am getting the required o/p of DD/MM/YYYY, But when am executing the same query(Netezza) in linux server(bash) am getting the output of YYYY-MM-DD file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
3 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)