Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Suggestion to convert data in rows to data in columns Post 302509288 by kush on Wednesday 30th of March 2011 12:26:00 PM
Old 03-30-2011
Suggestion to convert data in rows to data in columns

Hello everyone!
I have a huge dataset looking like this:
Code:
nameX nameX 0 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 ...............       
nameY nameY 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 .....
nameB nameB 0 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 .....
 (can be several thousands of codes)

and I need to get in output

Code:
nameX      nameY      nameB
nameX      nameY      nameB
0            2           0
1            2           1
2            2           2

Could you help in this? I am new (as many who asks for help) in unix
Thank you for ur time in advance
with regards
ksuh

Last edited by joeyg; 03-30-2011 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Please use CodeTags to wrap data and commands

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert two column data into 8 columns

Apologies if this has been covered - I did search but couldn't find what I was looking for. I have a simple X-Y input file. I want to convert it from two columns into 8 columns - 4 pairs of X-Y data. So my input file looks like X1 Y1 X2 Y2 X3 Y3 X4 Y4 X5 Y5 etc And I want it to look... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: NickC
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data in Rows to Columns

Hi, I am a beginner in bash&perl. I have data in form of:- A 1 B 2 C 3 D 4 E 5 I would like your help to find a simple way to change it to :- A B C D E 1 2 3 4 5 Any help would be highly appreciated. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umaars
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose columns to Rows : Big data

Hi, I did read a few posts on the subjects, tried out a few solutions, but did not solve my problem. https://www.unix.com/302121568-post11.html https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/137953-large-file-columns-into-rows-etc-4.html Please help. Problem very similar to the second link... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
15 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert Rows to Columns Specific Data

I have this data M36 AREA INFORMATION MDN = 0485009346 ESN = H'15fda0b0 TYPE = HLR RESULT = NOK REASON = UNRECOGNIZED MIN COMPLETED AREA INFORMATION MDN = 0498044402 ESN = H'15fdac11 TYPE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krabu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for a Perl newcomer! Transposing data from columns to rows

I have to create a Perl script which will transpose the data output from my experiment, from columns to rows, in order for me to analyse the data. I am a complete Perl novice so any help would be greatly appreciated. The data as it stands looks like this: Subject Condition Fp1 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sarah_W
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose Data from Columns to rows

Hello. very new to shell scripting and would like to know if anyone could help me. I have data thats being pulled into a txt file and currently have to manually transpose the data which is taking a long time to do. here is what the data looks like. Server1 -- Date -- Other -- value... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mikes88
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert nxm Matrix into columns of data

Dear Unixers, I'm having some difficulty in converting an n x m data matrix into a dataset of 3 columns and nxm rows. As an example I want to convert this dataset 2 3 4 5 2 0.0 0.0 0.1 0.1 6 -0.3 2.0 0.0 0.3 7 -0.6 -1.1 0.5 0.3 9 -0.9 -4.1 -0.7 0.5 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintin72
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Column data values to rows

Hi all , I have a file with the below content Header Section employee|employee name||Job description|Job code|Unitcode|Account|geography|C1|C2|C3|C4|C5|C6|C7|C8|C9|Csource|Oct|Nov|Dec|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sep Data section ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose comma delimited data in rows to columns

Hello, I have a bilingual database with the following structure a,b,c=d,e,f The right half is in a Left to right script and the second is in a Right to left script as the examples below show What I need is to separate out the database such that the first word on the left hand matches the first... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from specific rows and columns from multiple csv files

I have a series of csv files in the following format eg file1 Experiment Name,XYZ_07/28/15, Specimen Name,Specimen_001, Tube Name, Control, Record Date,7/28/2015 14:50, $OP,XYZYZ, GUID,abc, Population,#Events,%Parent All Events,10500, P1,10071,95.9 Early Apoptosis,1113,11.1 Late... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
6 Replies
Locale::Language(3perl) 				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				   Locale::Language(3perl)

NAME
Locale::Language - standard codes for language identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Language; $lang = code2language('en'); # $lang gets 'English' $code = language2code('French'); # $code gets 'fr' @codes = all_language_codes(); @names = all_language_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Language" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying languages, such as those as defined in ISO 639. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639 two- letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying languages. The ones currently supported are: alpha-2 This is the set of two-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639, such as 'he' for Hebrew. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANG_ALPHA_2". This is the default code set. alpha-3 This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) bibliographic codes from ISO 639, such as 'heb' for Hebrew. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANG_ALPHA_3". term This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) terminologic codes from ISO 639. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANG_TERM". ROUTINES
code2language ( CODE [,CODESET] ) language2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) language_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_language_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_language_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Language::rename_language ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::add_language ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::delete_language ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::add_language_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Language::delete_language_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Language::rename_language_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::add_language_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::delete_language_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes Locale::Constants http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/ Source of the ISO 639 codes. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2011 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-09-26 Locale::Language(3perl)