Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with sockets in C
Top Forums Programming Help with sockets in C Post 302509229 by disaster on Wednesday 30th of March 2011 10:33:13 AM
Old 03-30-2011
You need just one. Your socket_fd is usually not the socket with which the client and server communicate. It is rather just the point where the client connects to first and then waits for the server to open another socket on which the real data exchange takes place.
So if you have

listen(socket_fd, 5);

This means that 5 connetions are allowed to be in the queue and wait to be served. If all of these slots are taken, they will be blocked.
You can then accept the connections in this queue with the accept() call and this function will return a new file descripter which marks the direct connetion to the client.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

sockets...

Hi ! I had a verry simple question to ask... In unix when we create pipes.. the unnamed pipes that is... is there any way to access those pipes outside the code ? Another thing.. do sockets have an entry in the inode table ? TIA, Devyani. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: devy8
1 Replies

2. Programming

Sockets!?!?!?!?!?!

I am looking for a way to have a program listen on a port (example: 8000) for communication I will be sending via that port to it(Linux Kernel machine). Once it recieves an appropiate command I need it to run a .bat file in linux. I know what I need to do but I am running into a few problems:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigB8210
8 Replies

3. Programming

sockets

Hai, How cani declare socket and collect the data in a string varialbe. Since i am new to this i am asking this. Can we connect multiple port. Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sockets

how do i mointor how many sockets are opened from a particular foriegn address? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirpond
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Sockets in use

Is there a way to see what sockets are in use? The developers here are getting some defunct processes and they would like to get a socket list. This is on a Solaris 8 machine. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

sockets and firewall

Is it possible to trace the packages and the statuses of client's and/or server's sockets by the UNIX network administrative tools? Two applications interact via sockets. There is no problem if they stay in the same network segment. If their hosts connected through the firewall then they aren't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogogo
4 Replies

7. Programming

need help with sockets

anyone and teach me how to save standard output to a file in a client/server socket. I know how to read them to the screen but i'm not quite sure how to save them to a file. my read to screen file code: memset(line, 0x0, LINE_ARRAY_SIZE); while (recv(connectSocket, line, MAX_MSG, 0) >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crunchyuser
1 Replies

8. Programming

Sockets

Hi,i now moved into a different section where i need to use sockets. i am completely nill in sockets. can some body please provide me what are the requirements for a socket. to use sockets in c. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrUser
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Sockets

hai guys, I'm doing a project in which one server communicates with several clients. How can i do it when i have different port numbers???:confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshb6
0 Replies

10. Programming

Any example about sockets in C++?

Hi, i am student, think learning about c++, someone has a example the how establish a conection with sockets :b::b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmartinez
1 Replies
SM(6)								   Games Manual 							     SM(6)

NAME
sm - Displays a short text fullscreen SYNOPSIS
sm [OPTIONS] [text|-] DESCRIPTION
Screen Message will display a given multi-line message as large as possible, fullscreen and black on white. You can specify the text either when launching sm, or edit it while the program is running. After a short timeout, the text entry and the quit button will disappear, leaving nothing on the screen but the entered text. To continue entering text, just start typing or (left-)click anywhere on the screen. To clear the displayed text, press Escape. To quit the program, press Ctrl-Q or press the button. OPTIONS
[text] Text to display at start up. Defaults to ":-)". If "-" is passed to sm, it will read the text to display from stdin. -f, --foreground=colordesc Define a different color to use for the foreground of the text to display than black. The text string can be in any of the forms accepted by XParseColor; these include name for a color from rgb.txt, such as DarkSlateGray, or a hex specification such as #3050b2 or #35b. -b, --background=colordesc Define a different color to use for the background of the text to display than white. For possible values, see above. -n, --font=fontspec Define a different font to use than the default sans-serif font of your system. The fontspec be the complete name for a truetype font (like "DejaVu Sans" or "Bitstream Vera Serif") or just a short font family specification ("serif", "sans-serif"). -r, --rotate=rotation Rotates the display by rotation*90 degrees counter-clock-wise. So -r 1 rotates the display to the left, and -r 2 puts it upside down. -- (Double dash) End option parsing. This is used to be able to actually hand over text that starts of with an dash. -h, --help This option will give you a short usage message summarizing the recognized options and quits. -V, --version This prints the project name together with its version number quits. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Joachim Breitner <mail@joachim-breitner.de> and updated by Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> to reflect addi- tions for commandline option handling. August 05, 2008 SM(6)