Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK - Print partial line/partial field Post 302509204 by ippy98 on Wednesday 30th of March 2011 09:18:48 AM
Old 03-30-2011
AWK - Print partial line/partial field

Hello, this is probably a simple request but I've been toying with it for a while.

I have a large list of devices and commands that were run with a script, now I have lines such as:

a-router-hostname-C#show ver

I want to print everything up to (and excluding) the # and everything after it
the hostname portion is variable in size so basically I just want to find # and cut it and everything else after it to just end up with:
a-router-hostname-C

if I do a {print $1} I of course cut off the last field of "ver" but still have the "#show" portion.

Thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

delete line from file if successful partial string found

Id like to delete a line from a file using (preferably a single line unix command) if it contains a certain string pattern. If line contains "abcdef" then delete that line. Help greatly appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cronjob78
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk partial match and filter records

Hi, I am having file which contains around 15 columns, i need to fetch column 3,12,14 based on the condition that column 3 starts with 40464 this is the sample data how to achieve that (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Partial average of a column with awk

Hello, Let's assume I have 100 files FILE_${m} (0<m<101). Each of them contains 100 lines and 10 columns. I'd like to get in a file called "result" the average value of column 3, ONLY between lines 11 and 17, in order to plot that average as a function of the parameter m. So far I can compute... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DMini
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare 2 lists using a full and/or partial match at beginning of line?

hello all, I wonder if anybody might be able to help with this. I have file 1 and file2. Both files may contain thousands of lines that have variable contents. file1 234GH 5234BTW 89er 678tfg 234 234YT tfg456 wert 78gt gh23444 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Garrred
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the partial duplicates by checking the length of a field

Hi Folks - I'm quite new to awk and didn't come across such issues before. The problem statement is that, I've a file with duplicate records in 3rd and 4th fields. The sample is as below: aaaaaa|a12|45|56 abbbbaaa|a12|45|56 bbaabb|b1|51|45 bbbbbabbb|b2|51|45 aaabbbaaaa|a11|45|56 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asyed
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk syntax(partial) in variable

if a variable has part of awk syntax stored in it. for eg: x=if($1>100) can we substitute this variable in an awk statement. based on above requirement can we execute something like: awk '{x print $1}' infile (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 47shailesh
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove partial text in one line only

I have test.xml XML file like <Report account="123456" start_time="2014-09-08T00:00:00+00:00" end_time="2014-09-10T23:59:59+00:00" user="Dollar Tree" limit="1000000" more_sessions="some text "> <Session ......rest of xml............... I need output like <Report> <Session ......rest of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumars1331@gmai
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk partial string match and add specific fields

Trying to combine strings that are a partial match to another in $1 (usually below it). If a match is found than the $2 value is added to the $2 value of the match and the $3 value is added to the $3 value of the match. I am not sure how to do this and need some expert help. Thank you :). file ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk unique count of partial match with semi-colon

Trying to get the unique count of the below input, but if the text in beginning of $5 is a partial match to another line in the file then it is not unique. awk awk '!seen++ {n++} END {print n}' input 7 input chr1 159174749 159174770 chr1:159174749-159174770 ACKR1 chr1 ... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to update file with partial matching line in another file and append text

In the awk below I am trying to cp and paste each matching line in f2 to $3 in f1 if $2 of f1 is in the line in f2 somewhere. There will always be a match (usually more then 1) and my actual data is much larger (several hundreds of lines) in both f1 and f2. When the line in f2 is pasted to $3 in... (4 Replies)
4 Replies
HOSTNAME(1)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       HOSTNAME(1)

NAME
hostname - show or set the system's host name domainname - show or set the system's NIS/YP domain name dnsdomainname - show the system's DNS domain name nisdomainname - show or set system's NIS/YP domain name ypdomainname - show or set the system's NIS/YP domain name nodename - show or set the system's DECnet node name SYNOPSIS
hostname [-v] [-a] [--alias] [-d] [--domain] [-f] [--fqdn] [-i] [--ip-address] [--long] [-s] [--short] [-y] [--yp] [--nis] [-n] [--node] hostname [-v] [-F filename] [--file filename] [hostname] domainname [-v] [-F filename] [--file filename] [name] nodename [-v] [-F filename] [--file filename] [name] hostname [-v] [-h] [--help] [-V] [--version] dnsdomainname [-v] nisdomainname [-v] ypdomainname [-v] DESCRIPTION
Hostname is the program that is used to either set or display the current host, domain or node name of the system. These names are used by many of the networking programs to identify the machine. The domain name is also used by NIS/YP. GET NAME When called without any arguments, the program displays the current names: hostname will print the name of the system as returned by the gethostname(2) function. domainname, nisdomainname, ypdomainname will print the name of the system as returned by the getdomainname(2) function. This is also known as the YP/NIS domain name of the system. nodename will print the DECnet node name of the system as returned by the getnodename(2) function. dnsdomainname will print the domain part of the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name). The complete FQDN of the system is returned with host- name --fqdn. SET NAME When called with one argument or with the --file option, the commands set the host name, the NIS/YP domain name or the node name. Note, that only the super-user can change the names. It is not possible to set the FQDN or the DNS domain name with the dnsdomainname command (see THE FQDN below). The host name is usually set once at system startup in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 or /etc/init.d/boot (normally by reading the contents of a file which contains the host name, e.g. /etc/hostname). THE FQDN You can't change the FQDN (as returned by hostname --fqdn) or the DNS domain name (as returned by dnsdomainname) with this command. The FQDN of the system is the name that the resolver(3) returns for the host name. Technically: The FQDN is the name gethostbyname(2) returns for the host name returned by gethostname(2). The DNS domain name is the part after the first dot. Therefore it depends on the configuration (usually in /etc/host.conf) how you can change it. Usually (if the hosts file is parsed before DNS or NIS) you can change it in /etc/hosts. OPTIONS
-a, --alias Display the alias name of the host (if used). -d, --domain Display the name of the DNS domain. Don't use the command domainname to get the DNS domain name because it will show the NIS domain name and not the DNS domain name. Use dnsdomainname instead. -F, --file filename Read the host name from the specified file. Comments (lines starting with a `#') are ignored. -f, --fqdn, --long Display the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name). A FQDN consists of a short host name and the DNS domain name. Unless you are using bind or NIS for host lookups you can change the FQDN and the DNS domain name (which is part of the FQDN) in the /etc/hosts file. -h, --help Print a usage message and exit. -i, --ip-address Display the IP address(es) of the host. -n, --node Display the DECnet node name. If a parameter is given (or --file name ) the root can also set a new node name. -s, --short Display the short host name. This is the host name cut at the first dot. -V, --version Print version information on standard output and exit successfully. -v, --verbose Be verbose and tell what's going on. -y, --yp, --nis Display the NIS domain name. If a parameter is given (or --file name ) then root can also set a new NIS domain. FILES
/etc/hosts AUTHOR
Peter Tobias, <tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de> Bernd Eckenfels, <net-tools@lina.inka.de> (NIS and manpage). Steve Whitehouse, <SteveW@ACM.org> (DECnet support and manpage). net-tools 28 Jan 1996 HOSTNAME(1)