Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Help with Backup Shell Script Post 302509074 by kjmpa26 on Tuesday 29th of March 2011 06:04:43 PM
Old 03-29-2011
I only want to backup files that I would need to restore the system if it went down. The system that would be used is Zorin os4. I am not sure how to break that down further, I know it has something to do with Ubuntu (as you can tell, I am brand new to Linux and don't know very much). In doing my research I learned the TAR commmand will backup only important system files, below is the command; is there anything I would need to change?

tar cvpzf backup.tgz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys /

Last edited by kjmpa26; 03-29-2011 at 07:20 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with a backup shell script

I'm having an issue with a problem A problem with this backup script is that if you backup the same file twice, you may get a warning message because you're overwriting an existing file. You could suppress the warning message, but a better solution is to save a series of backups distinguished by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dingosatemypant
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a backup shell script

am writing my very first shell script and need some assistance. What I need help on is three things in particular. 1) Do I need to use the sleep function after the tar command or does the script know to wait until tar finishes to move on to the next line? 2) Did I populate the variable DATE... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhm54
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with backup shell script

Hello all, I am trying to backup my system database and root filesystem on remote server that is mounted on my system using tar command. For the database, i use (cd /database; tar cvf file.tar .) for the Root filesystem, i use (cd /; tar uEvf file.tar .) both are to be backup on the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Omoniyi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with backup shell script

Hello, Need help with a script to backup a configuration file BSD Save the file / Firewall / ConfigFiles to a remote ftp server here is the script # / bin / sh Date = $ (date +% d-% Y-% m-H-M) tar-cvf ConfigFiles.tar / Firewall / ConfigFiles ConfigFiles.tar mv / Firewall-$... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: telouet
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to backup

Q: script to daily backup all databases in the server, retain only last 4 backps please anyone give me a reply (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssooraj72
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script

i need to print the first date of the previous month in 20130101 format. i use the below script month_year=$(date +'%m%Y' | awk '!--$1{$1=12;$2--}') m=${month_year% *} y=$month_year##* } d=$(cal $m $y | paste -s - | awk '{print $NF}') firstdate=${printf '02d01%s' $y $m) echo $firstdate ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vino1989
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hello guys. I am a Brazilian, I use a linux machine, to access it using the program Putty. I own a GTA Multiplayer, I have a folder on my server named accounts, there is the account of all players. Each player has their own file, the files are saved as follows: PlayerName.ini I would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimCarrey
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to call Oracle archive backup script when file system reaches threshold value

Hello All, I need immediate help in creating shell script to call archivebkup.ksh script when archive file system capacity reaches threshold value or 60% Need to identify the unique file system that reaches threshold value. ex: capacity ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikanthdba
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dear friends, I need your help. I need to create a bash script which can loop through $source_dir once a month, and find the backup of the last day of a given month for each of the 2 file types, as can be seen below. Assume that source_dir="/backup/daily" Assume that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joemb
1 Replies
AGGREGATE_PROPERTIES_BY_LIST(3) 					 1					   AGGREGATE_PROPERTIES_BY_LIST(3)

aggregate_properties_by_list - Selective dynamic class properties aggregation to an object

SYNOPSIS
void aggregate_properties_by_list (object $object, string $class_name, array $properties_list, [bool $exclude = false]) DESCRIPTION
Aggregates properties from a class to an existing object using a list of property names. The properties whose names start with an underscore character (_), which are considered private to the aggregated class, are always excluded. PARAMETERS
o $object - o $class_name - o $properties_list - o $exclude - The optional parameter $exclude is used to decide whether the list contains the names of class properties to include in the aggregation (i.e. $exclude is FALSE), or to exclude from the aggregation ($exclude is TRUE). RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. SEE ALSO
aggregate(3), aggregate_methods(3), aggregate_methods_by_list(3), aggregate_methods_by_regexp(3), aggregate_properties(3), aggregate_prop- erties_by_regexp(3), aggregate_info(3), deaggregate(3). PHP Documentation Group AGGREGATE_PROPERTIES_BY_LIST(3)