Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Alternative to sshfs?
Operating Systems Solaris Alternative to sshfs? Post 302509012 by cjcox on Tuesday 29th of March 2011 03:20:23 PM
Old 03-29-2011
There's not panacea solution here IMHO. And in fact, my guess is the same reason why NFS mounting is no longer a solution, would actually affect your ability to use sshfs long term for (maybe) the same reasons.

There are other types of remote filesystems... not sure if those are options or not (e.g. AFS, CIFS).

Another possibility would be a Linux proxy that they might allow to do the mount locally and then the remote uses sshfs through it?? But I still fear the issues that made doing the NFS mount not feasible.

The other alternative (as you kind of implied) is to rewrite... the rewrite would likely be portable enough to replace both views though, so no need to maintain two code bases (IMHO).

Forward looking, openSolaris FUSE work has been picked up again by Oracle and promised in Solaris... so possible that Solaris 11 has FUSE and thus sshfs as well.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with while loop or any other alternative?

i=1 while do mm=02 dd=03 yy=2008 echo "$mm$dd$yy" i=$(( i+1)) echo "$i" done whenever i execute the script above i will get the error below: syntax error at line 30: `i=$' unexpected (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filthymonk
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 8 and sshfs

Hi, all.. Does Solaris 8 support sshfs? (Sorry if my question is too simple :o) We are going to mount a file system from Solaris 8 on HP-UX 11i. Will things will go smoothly with this? Will there be any performance problem if the number of users grow to perform I/O operations on mounted fs? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swmk
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

alternative for egrep -o on HP-UX

Hello to all board members!! I have a problem on a HP-UX system. I should write a script. Therefore I need to search after IP addresses in the output of a command. On Debian this works: ifconfig | egrep -o "{1,3}\.{1,3}\.{1,3}\.{1,3}" The script where i need this is not ifconfig, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vostro
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sshfs twice on the same dir

Hi everyone. I have 3 machines, let's call them store, node1 and node2. I have to mount on node1 and node2 the same directory of store. So, I launch the sshfs command on node1 and everything works fine. But when I try to do that on node2, it hangs for a while and then I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: canduc17
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mount twice sshfs dir

Hi everyone. I have 3 machines, let's call them store, node1 and node2. I have to mount on node1 and node2 the same directory of store. So, I launch the sshfs command on node1 and everything works fine. But when I try to do that on node2, it hangs for a while and then I obtain:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: canduc17
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative for wc -l

Hi techies .. This is my first posting hr .. Am facing a serious performance problem in counting the number of lines in the file. The input files i get will be in some 10 to 15 Gb of size or even sometimes more ..and I will load it to db I have used wc -l to confirm whether the loader... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_2383
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh, truecrypt, sshfs in a script

Hello all, First time posting, although the site has helped solve many problems in the past! I would like to create a script to simplify a series of commands that I run: Log into the ssh-server (RSA key) ssh username@hostname -p 6110 Once there, I mount a truecrypt volume: truecrypt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freshtoast
3 Replies

8. Solaris

vi alternative

Is there any other editor, installed by 'default' in Sparc Solaris10, besides vi? I'd like to avoid installing anything new. If not, how to make vi more user-friendly? thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sshfs script

Hi, I am new to this forum. I want to setup my personal Dropbox between my home server and the work station in the office. I followed this tutorial danbishop.org/2011/09/10/...-in-os-x-lion/and it works great. :) The trouble now is I am not sure how I can make it to start on boot. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macpc
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH tunnel working for ssh but not for sshfs

I'm trying to setup a link between my home pc (work-machine) and a server at work (tar-machine) that is behind a gateway (hop-machine) and not directly accessible. my actions: work-machine$ ssh -L 1234:tar-machine:22 hop-machine work-machine$ ssh -p 1234 user@127.0.0.1 - shh access on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vathau
1 Replies
FUSEISO(1)						      General Commands Manual							FUSEISO(1)

NAME
fuseiso - FUSE module to mount ISO filesystem images SYNOPSIS
fuseiso [options] <ISO image> <mount point> [FUSE library options] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the fuseiso command. fuseiso provides a module to mount ISO filesystem images using FUSE. With FUSE it is possible to implement a fully functional filesystem in a userspace program. fuseiso can read ISO, BIN and NRG images containing ISO9660 filesystems. Along with it, it supports some common extensions, like Joliet, RockRidge and zisofs. It also supports non-standard images, like CloneCD's IMGs and Alcohol 120%'s MDFs, as their format looks exactly like BIN images. One major limitation of BIN images is that fuseiso does not handle CUE files in any way, and thus can only work with the first track of those images. Other formats like CCD and MDS are not supported, since their format is not public and no one knows it. OPTIONS
-n Do not maintain ~/.mtab.fuseiso. -p Maintain mount point, create it if it doesn't exist and delete it on exit. -c iocharset Specify iocharset for Joliet filesystems. -h Prints an help screen. Common FUSE library options -f Run in foreground, do not daemonize. -d Run in foreground and print debug information. -s Run single-threaded. SEE ALSO
fusermount(1), AUTHOR
fuseiso was written by Dmitry Morozhnikov <dmiceman@mail.ru>. This manual page was written by David Paleino <dapal@debian.org>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). February 2010 FUSEISO(1)