Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Printing pointer address
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Printing pointer address Post 302508967 by perleo on Tuesday 29th of March 2011 01:27:33 PM
Old 03-29-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
What happens when you compile and run this code:

Code:
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
        printf("pointer:  %p\n", NULL);
}

prints out..

pointer: 0x0

however, if I try to print out a pointer address in the kernel code and compile, it returns that %p is looking for a void.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can unix printing directly to ip address

Thanks in advance. I am researching if it is possible for unix (solaris) to print directly printers with IP addresses. Without adding all the ip addresses to the hosts file? There are more than a hundred printers and managing them in a hosts file would be tedius, prone to error, and time... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maguired
4 Replies

2. Programming

A Pointer to non-Virtual Address, and All of my Hard drive

How do I get a pointer to any 32 bit address on my hard drive, in which I then could read that memory or write to that memory address? And, while the subject is on, how do get a 32 bit pointer in RAM also, in which I can do the same? I'm using C and Objective-C with gcc on an iBook G4. A... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xcoder66
9 Replies

3. Programming

address of pointer

Hi i'm new to c programming and i'm trying to change the address of a pointer/variable but i can't seem to get it right, I have this char heap; char *firstFree = heap; char *allocMem( int size ) { void *malloc(size_t sizeofint); /*allocate space for an array with size... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Poison Ivy
19 Replies

4. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Panic kernal-mode address fault on user address 0x14

:) Firstly Hi all!!, im NEW!! and on here hoping that someone might be able to offer me some help... i have a server that keeps crashing every few days with the error message: PANIC KERNAL-MODE ADDRESS FAULT ON USER ADDRESS 0X14 KERNAL PAGE FAULT FROM (CS:EIP)=(100:EF71B5BD) EAX=EF822000... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twix
10 Replies

6. Programming

Printing class address!

Hello everyone, I have this code which prints the address of the object of a class....bt. what if I want to print the address of the class? #include <iostream.h> class har{ }; int main() { har a; cout<<(&a); } I would really appreciate if someone can help! Thanks!!!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mind@work
1 Replies

7. Programming

Pointer and address

This code is to print out the program name and arguments list one by one: 1 #include<stdio.h> 2 3 void main(int argc, char *argv) 4 { 5 int iCount = 0; 6 while (iCount < argc) { 7 printf("argc:%d\t%s\n",iCount, argv); 8 ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

C program to detect duplicate ip address if any after assigning ip address to ethernet interface

Hi , Could someone let me know how to detect duplicate ip address after assigning ip address to ethernet interface using c program (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
3 Replies

9. Programming

Pure C function pointer on printing vowels twice

Have difficulty to understand this pure C code to only print vowels twice from input string. Questions are commented at the end of each place. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <assert.h> #include <limits.h> /* *Demonstrate the use of dispatch tables */ /*Print a char... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
11 Replies
PAPI_strerror(3)						       PAPI							  PAPI_strerror(3)

NAME
PAPI_strerror - Returns a string describing the PAPI error code. SYNOPSIS
Detailed Description C Interface: #include <papi.h> char * PAPI_strerror( int errorCode ); Parameters: code -- the error code to interpret Return values: *error -- a pointer to the error string. NULL -- the input error code to PAPI_strerror() is invalid. PAPI_strerror() returns a pointer to the error message corresponding to the error code code. If the call fails the function returns the NULL pointer. This function is not implemented in Fortran. Example: * int ret; * int EventSet = PAPI_NULL; * int native = 0x0; * char error_str[PAPI_MAX_STR_LEN]; * * ret = PAPI_create_eventset(&EventSet); * if (ret != PAPI_OK) * { * fprintf(stderr, "PAPI error %d: %s0, ret, PAPI_strerror(retval)); * exit(1); * } * // Add Total Instructions Executed to our EventSet * ret = PAPI_add_event(EventSet, PAPI_TOT_INS); * if (ret != PAPI_OK) * { * PAPI_perror( "PAPI_add_event"); * fprintf(stderr,"PAPI_error %d: %s0, ret, error_str); * exit(1); * } * // Start counting * ret = PAPI_start(EventSet); * if (ret != PAPI_OK) handle_error(ret); * See Also: PAPI_perror PAPI_set_opt PAPI_get_opt PAPI_shutdown PAPI_set_debug Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for PAPI from the source code. Version 5.2.0.0 Tue Jun 17 2014 PAPI_strerror(3)