Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to pass a parameter from the terminal? Post 302508812 by vess on Tuesday 29th of March 2011 06:31:47 AM
Old 03-29-2011
How to pass a parameter from the terminal?

Hi,
I am new in Ubuntu, I will be glud to know:
1. How to pass a parameter from the terminal to a file that I write in shell script. What is the command line I need to write in the terminal?
2. How to get the parameter in the file? What do I need to write in the file?
3. What kind of file is it (maybe myfile.sh?)
thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PASS parameter to AWK

Hi, Can i pass a parameter(not a file name) as a parameter to a awk program? eg; $awk -f test 1 2 3 here test is the filename...and 1,2,3 are the i/p parameters? thank you:-) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unisam
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required to pass the parameter

i am calling a pl/sql procedure through a shell script, there is one IN and 2 OUT parameter required to pass to the procedure to execute.. My procedure is XX_CITIDIRECT_EXP_PKG.main_proc and In parameter is p_period which I wanto to pass 'MAY-06'. Can anyone figure out, whats is wrong here ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: u263066
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass parameter into script

I would like to write a scirpt a.sh that it first checks the first parameter of the input. If it fulfill some condition ,then run an executable program b by using all the parameter. ie. > ./a.sh 10 20 30 40 50 Then a.sh first checks the first parameter, 10, if it mathes the requirement, then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a parameter

Hi all, How to pass a parameter from a oracle pl/sql procedure parameter to shell environment and use it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass parameter to function

HI all I have a code like ############################################## minyear() { curryear=$1 echo $curryear } ##Main Program ## minyear exit ####### when i execute "sh scriptname 2005" output should be like 2005 but the output is blank. I guess i need to pass parameter to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass the parameter value to a... ?

Hello I have a simple code like this one: #!/bin/ksh VER=$1 cat /usr/text | while read line do echo $line done Let's say $1=1.0.0 and the contents of text is: abcd.cfg asdf I would like the output to be like this abcd1.0.0.cfg asdf1.0.0 I am thinking of passing the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: khestoi
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass parameter to SED

My script(ksh) works fine for --------------------------------------------------- sed -n '28,31p' ${l_name} >> ${LOG_DIR}/Email.txt --------------------------------------------------- But I wand to pass parrmeter to this syntax I did the following things ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: deep_kol
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass parameter

Hi, I have following for loop , please let me know how to get ${TXP_EXT_TABLE_${i}_SQL} parameter with 1DAY and 7DAY values. for i in 1DAY 7DAY do ${NZSQL_DIR}/nzsql -h ${HOST} -time -v ON_ERROR_STOP=1 -f ${SQL_DIR}/${TXP_EXT_TABLE_${i}_SQL} > ${TMP_LOG_FILE} 2>&1 done ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy162
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass parameter to bteq?

I am using below code to connect terdata and getting the query result in a file.Now i want to use same code for different tables,plz tell me how to pass table name as parameter.i tried using as below code but not working. bteq < /download/viv/dev/ops/Scripts/ter.sh FLTORGTKR_ORG_etc.. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
1 Replies
WRITE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  WRITE(1)

NAME
write -- send a message to another user SYNOPSIS
write user [tty] DESCRIPTION
The write utility allows you to communicate with other users, by copying lines from your terminal to theirs. When you run the write command, the user you are writing to gets a message of the form: Message from yourname@yourhost on yourtty at hh:mm ... Any further lines you enter will be copied to the specified user's terminal. If the other user wants to reply, they must run write as well. When you are done, type an end-of-file or interrupt character. The other user will see the message 'EOF' indicating that the conversation is over. You can prevent people (other than the super-user) from writing to you with the mesg(1) command. If the user you want to write to is logged in on more than one terminal, you can specify which terminal to write to by specifying the termi- nal name as the second operand to the write command. Alternatively, you can let write select one of the terminals - it will pick the one with the shortest idle time. This is so that if the user is logged in at work and also dialed up from home, the message will go to the right place. The traditional protocol for writing to someone is that the string '-o', either at the end of a line or on a line by itself, means that it is the other person's turn to talk. The string 'oo' means that the person believes the conversation to be over. SEE ALSO
mesg(1), talk(1), wall(1), who(1) HISTORY
A write command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The sender's LC_CTYPE setting is used to determine which characters are safe to write to a terminal, not the receiver's (which write has no way of knowing). BSD
February 13, 2012 BSD