Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: whoami export
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting whoami export Post 302508708 by lhareigh890 on Monday 28th of March 2011 09:47:22 PM
Old 03-28-2011
whoami export

how can I use whoami on a script for ordinary user? it always says command not found. pls help

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
W='whoami'
DATE=`date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"`

echo " $DATE- by $W"

result

2011-03-29 09:46:16 -  by

you wil noticed the by is blank...pls help..but in root, it works

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

export???

I am trying to export the variable OBJ2 and set it to done. Can some one please let me how to do this? I have tried editing my .bashrc file with this echo <VARIABLE_NAME>=<"OBJ2"> But that wont seem to work... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Justinkase
1 Replies

2. BSD

How to export

Hi I need to export some directpry path like below: var1=/<>/<>/<> export var1 This is my basic idea. I tried export var1=/<>/<>/<> after executing this in a shell i did an echo of the var1. But nothing happened. Can you please help me with this. I need to srite a script to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The "Whoami" command

Ladies, Gents, I am fairly new to this game but I am having trouble making the above command work. If I login as root and go to terminal session "whoami" works. If I login as admin open a terminal session and "su root" the "whoami" command comes up with " Not recognised". Any ideas? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: John Dobson
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

About export

Hi all, I am calling a script from main script. The called script (second script) have to return some value, i can use exit to pass but in exit i have to pass some other value. i used "export Var", but this command resides in a function of second script. could you please tell me how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding whoami

Hello I have a question about shell programming So I recently found out that someone is secretly accessing my files due to my mistake. Of course, now, I changed all the permission so people cannot access my file(s) anymore. However, I am a little bit mad about the fact and I'd like to find that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chun02160
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

export. I know it, but...

Hello, I have the following command at the "Shell": export PATH=${PATH}:${ANT_HOME}/bin I know what "export" does and the ANT_HOME part. But, regarding the following part: ${PATH} What is "PATH" Supposed to be here. In other words, what is the value of "PATH". As far as for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SWEngineer
4 Replies

7. Ubuntu

How use export

Hello, I'm trying to use export for non use "./" when I execute a program. I mean "program" in place of "./program" I tried this: export doit=program But doesn't work the answer is: doit command not found Then, I see the variables using export, and I can see: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NewBe
1 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

sudo chown -R `whoami` /usr/local

I was following a tutorial on installing Homebrew and I changed the ownership of /usr/local/ to me. Now McAfee Security won't start This is the exact line I typed: sudo chown -R `whoami` /usr/local Then I tried to fix it with: sudo chown -R root /usr/local I still can't start mcafee. It say... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chancho
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Whoami error

when I type whoami i get an error saying ksh not found.. how do I exit from ksh script and make it work .. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakers646
2 Replies

10. AIX

Capture whoami log on a specific command

// AIX 6.1 TL8 Please advise on how to capture whoami log or the user and time info into a log file (i.e. /tmp/cmdcapture.log) whenever users are executing a certain command(s) so that I can keep the single log history (for all users) of who did what. The command(s) I need to monitor are a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
3 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)