Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Insert file.txt recursively
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert file.txt recursively Post 302508633 by psve on Monday 28th of March 2011 03:11:06 PM
Old 03-28-2011
Insert file.txt recursively

Anyone knows how I can change this script so that it works recursively as well (meaning: *.c files in sub directories will get changed as well)?
Code:
for file in *.c
do
  cat file.txt "$file" > tempfile
  cat tempfile > "$file"
done
rm tempfile

Last edited by Franklin52; 03-28-2011 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Binary txt file received when i use uuencode to send txt file as attachment

Hi, I have already read a lot of posts on sending attachments in unix...but none of them were of help for my problem...so here goes.. i wanna attach a text file and send to a mail id..used the following code : uuencode "$File1" "$File1" ;|mail -s "$Mail_sub" abc@abc.com it works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ash22
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to list .txt and .TXT file

Hi expersts, in my directory i have *.txt and *.TXT and *.TXT.log, *.txt.log I want list only .txt and .TXT files in one command... how to ?? //purple (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thepurple
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to insert data from gps.txt to mysql database

Hi, I have gps receiver, by using gpsd data i can read gps log data to my database(my sql). Steps: 1. telenet localhost 2947 > gps.txt (press enter) 2. r (press enter) //then i will get the data like below in gps.txt file Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gudivada213
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert txt in the row

hi i am having text file like this 444 raju 666 ranga Clerk 999 rani officer 111 juhi i want to get the out put as 444 raju NA 666 ranga Clerk 999 rani officer 111 juhi NA pls help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert content of file.txt to multi files

Ive this sed & find command find /home/www/ -name footer.php -exec sed -i 's/<\/body>/file.txt\n<\/body>/' what I need to place content of file.txt before </body> in all footer.php files file.txt content is google analytic script which is like 7 lines any help to adjust my command to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xmoe
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk append fileA.txt to growing file B.txt

This is appending a column. My question is fairly simple. I have a program generating data in a form like so: 1 20 2 22 3 23 4 12 5 43 For ever iteration I'm generating this data. I have the basic idea with cut -f 2 fileA.txt | paste -d >> FileB.txt ???? I want FileB.txt to grow, and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: theawknewbie
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script : log to txt and insert new line everytime

Hi, I have this script, while do ps ax|grep 5060 > log.txt echo " " sleep 1 done } I want to actually put a new line everytime the loop is executed in log.txt , but I do not know how to "embed" the echo " " inside the log.txt. (so to say... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peuceul
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to append the date | abcddate.txt to the first line of my txt file

I want to add/append the info in the following format to my.txt file. 20130702|abcd20130702.txt FN|SN|DOB I tried the below script but it throws me some exceptions. <#!/bin/sh dt = date '+%y%m%d'members; echo $dt+|+members+$dt; /usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS="|"; OFS="|"; } { print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harik1982
6 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

2 Questions: replace text in txt file, add text to end of txt file

so... Lets assume I have a text file. The text file contains multiple "#" symbols. I want to replace all thos "#"s with a STRING using DOS/Batch I want to add a certain TEXT to the end of each line. How can I do this WITHOUT aid of sed, grep or anything linux related ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pasc
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Desired output.txt for reading txt file using awk?

Dear all, I have a huge txt file (DATA.txt) with the following content . From this txt file, I want the following output using some shell script. Any help is greatly appreciated. Greetings, emily DATA.txt (snippet of the huge text file) 407202849... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
2 Replies
CG(1)																	     CG(1)

NAME
cg - Recursively grep for a pattern and store it. SYNOPSIS
cg [ -l ] | [ [ -i ] pattern [ files ] ] DESCRIPTION
cg does a search though text files (usually source code) recursively for a pattern, storing matches and displaying the output in a human- readable fashion. It is intended to give some of the functionaly of AT&T's cscope(1) tool, with the advantages of simplicity and not being language-specific. The script will colorize output if configured as such. It is typically run with a Perl regular expression to search for. The search can be made case insensitive by using the -i option. A list of files may also be specified with an additional argument after the pattern. Put the files pattern in quotes to make it be matched by Perl rather than by the shell. Running the script with no arguments will recall the results of the previous search. After the search, entries found can be edited using the vg(1) script. The -l option shows the last log made. SOME EXAMPLES
cg - alone recalls the previous search results. cg -i pattern - search the default list of files for all files matching the pattern (and case-insensitively). cg pattern '*.c' - search recursively for pattern in all *.c files. This automatically converts '*' to '.*' and '.' to '.' for you and does a Perl pattern match on all files in the tree. cg pattern *.c - search through the shell-expanded list of *.c files, so not done recursively (in other words, only the files your shell pass to the script as arguments). cg -l - show the last log made. COMMAND-LINE OPTIONS -i Do a case-insensitive search. -l Show the last log made. -p Toggle the default pager option. cg has a bulit-in pager function, which can be enabled or disabled by default (in .cgvgrc). If the default is enabled, this option disables the pager; if the default is disabled, this option enables it. -P Force the built-in pager to be disabled. FILES
${HOME}/.cglast Log file of the last search. ${HOME}/.cgvgrc Per-user configuration file (if the defaults are not desireable). ${HOME}/.cgvg/* Log files in $HOSTNAME.shell_pid form with the log of the last search. SEE ALSO
vg(1), perl(1), find(1), grep(1), cscope(1) AUTHOR
cg was written by Joshua Uziel <uzi@uzix.org>. 13 Mar 2002 CG(1)