Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH: remove digits from end of string Post 302508563 by panyam on Monday 28th of March 2011 12:40:46 PM
Old 03-28-2011
Hello,

Sorry I was at my dinner so was the delay.

here , using sed i am first searching for the last occurance of "alphabet" using \(.*[a-z]\) and the same can be referenced by \1, rest every thing can be referenced by \2.

A good place to start with , if you are interested to learn sed:

www.grymoire.com/Unix/Sed.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract digits at end of string

I have a string like xxxxxx44. What's the best way to extract the digits (one or more) in a ksh script? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: offirc
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove / at the end of a string if it exists

Hey guys, Can sed or another command be used to examine a path such as /home/test/blah/blahand check to see if the last character is a "/" and if so remove it So this is what should happen: /home/test/blah/blahnothing happens, this is ok /home/test/blah/blah/the "/" at the end is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tret
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove box like special character from end of string

Hi All, How to remove a box like special character which appears at the end of a string/line/record. I have no clue what this box like special character is. It is transparent square like box. This appears in a .DAT file at the end of header. I'm to compare a value in header with a parameter.... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qwerty123
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Remove comma at the end of the string

Hi i had String like UID: ABC345QWE678GFK345SA90, LENGTH 32 when I used awk ' FS, {print $1}' prints ABC345QWE678GFK345SA90, how can i getrid of that coma at the end of the string. Thanks in advance.. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and remove digits (if exist) from end of the string

Hi Experts, Here is what I am trying to do. 1) say I have a file with below strings database1 database2 database3 data10gdb1 data10gdb2 databasewithoutdigit 2) I want to get the below output. (- if there is any digit at the end of the string, I need to remove it) (- Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shail_boy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove white spaces from the beginning an end of a string in unix?

Suppose, I have a variable var=" name is ". I want to remove the blank spaces from the begining and endonly, not from the entire string. So, that the variable/string looks like following var="name is". Please look after the issue. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines that match string at end of column

I have this: 301205 0000030000041.49000000.00 2011111815505 908 301205 0000020000029.10000000.00 2011111815505 962 301205 0000010000027.56000000.00 2011111815505 3083 312291 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: herot
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove 3rd character from the end of a random-length string

Hi, I hope someone can share there scripting fu on my problem, I would like to delete the 3rd character from a random length of string starting from the end Example Output Hope you can help me.. Thanks in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines between the start string and end string including start and end string Python

Hi, I am trying to remove lines once a string is found till another string is found including the start string and end string. I want to basically grab all the lines starting with color (closing bracket). PS: The line after the closing bracket for color could be anything (currently 'more').... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I extract digits at the end of a string in UNIX shell scripting?

How can I extract digits at the end of a string in UNIX shell scripting or perl? cat file.txt abc_d123_4567.txt A246_B789.txt B123cc099.txt a123_B234-012.txt a13.txt What can I do here? Many thanks. cat file.txt | sed "s/.txt$//" | ........ 4567 789 099 012 13 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mingch
11 Replies
Gtk2::PageSetup(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Gtk2::PageSetup(3pm)

NAME
Gtk2::PageSetup - wrapper for GtkPageSetup HIERARCHY
Glib::Object +----Gtk2::PageSetup METHODS
pagesetup = Gtk2::PageSetup->new pagesetup = Gtk2::PageSetup->new_from_file ($file_name) o $file_name (localized file name) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.12 pagesetup = Gtk2::PageSetup->new_from_key_file ($key_file, $group_name) o $key_file (Glib::KeyFile) o $group_name (string or undef) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.12 double = $setup->get_bottom_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_bottom_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) double = $setup->get_left_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_left_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->load_file ($file_name) o $file_name (string) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.14 $setup->load_key_file ($key_file, $group_name) o $key_file (Glib::KeyFile) o $group_name (string or undef) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.14 pageorientation = $setup->get_orientation $setup->set_orientation ($orientation) o $orientation (Gtk2::PageOrientation) double = $setup->get_page_height ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) double = $setup->get_page_width ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) double = $setup->get_paper_height ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_paper_size_and_default_margins ($size) o $size (Gtk2::PaperSize) papersize = $setup->get_paper_size $setup->set_paper_size ($size) o $size (Gtk2::PaperSize) double = $setup->get_paper_width ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) double = $setup->get_right_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_right_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->to_file ($file_name) o $file_name (localized file name) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.12 $setup->to_key_file ($key_file, $group_name) o $key_file (Glib::KeyFile) o $group_name (string or undef) Since: gtk+ 2.12 double = $setup->get_top_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_top_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) ENUMS AND FLAGS
enum Gtk2::PageOrientation o 'portrait' / 'GTK_PAGE_ORIENTATION_PORTRAIT' o 'landscape' / 'GTK_PAGE_ORIENTATION_LANDSCAPE' o 'reverse-portrait' / 'GTK_PAGE_ORIENTATION_REVERSE_PORTRAIT' o 'reverse-landscape' / 'GTK_PAGE_ORIENTATION_REVERSE_LANDSCAPE' enum Gtk2::Unit o 'pixel' / 'GTK_UNIT_PIXEL' o 'points' / 'GTK_UNIT_POINTS' o 'inch' / 'GTK_UNIT_INCH' o 'mm' / 'GTK_UNIT_MM' SEE ALSO
Gtk2, Glib::Object COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2011 by the gtk2-perl team. This software is licensed under the LGPL. See Gtk2 for a full notice. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-27 Gtk2::PageSetup(3pm)