Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Random float numbers in BASH
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Random float numbers in BASH Post 302508493 by pharaoh on Monday 28th of March 2011 09:53:19 AM
Old 03-28-2011
Thank you guys! I didn't knew that bash don't support floating point numbers.
That was very helpful.

---------- Post updated at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
BASH doesn't support floating point numbers.

How about generating random digits 0-9 and appending that into a floating point number?
Man you are a Genius. I like your answer, thank you for passing the knowledge.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding float numbers

how to add 2 float values to each other? i tried this and it doesnt work: #!bin/bash numone=1.234 numtwo=0.124 total=`expr $numone + $numtwo` echo $total thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: strike
5 Replies

2. Solaris

i cannot assign float point numbers to an array in solaris

total=0 declare -a sum limit=`iostat -En | grep -i size | awk '{print $2}' | sed -e 's/GB//g' | wc -l` echo "Limit is equal to $limit" ara="`iostat -En | grep -i size | awk '{print $2}' | sed -e 's/GB//g'`" for (( i=1; i<=$limit; i++ )) do sum=`echo $ara | cut -d " " -f $i` echo ${sum}... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
11 Replies

3. Solaris

can array store float point numbers

Hi all, I have doubt can array in a shell script can store floating point numbers. i have tired. but i unable to work it out. Please help me regarding this Thank U Naree (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naree
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random numbers from 0 to 1000

Hello All, I want to make a simple script which generate random number from 0 to 1000. and simply display it. Plz HELP!!!!!! Regards, Waqas Ahmed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
2 Replies

5. Programming

comparison between float numbers

Hi, i have a simple control like this: if(sum>1.0)... If i try to print sum i get 1.000000 but the check returns true. I think it depends on float precision. How can i modify the check? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random numbers

Hi, I am having trouble with generating random numbers. can this be done with awk? So I have a file that looks like this: 23 30 24 40 26 34 So column1 is start and column2 is end. I want to generate 3 random #'s between start and stop: So the output will look like this: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
9 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Random numbers

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Write a shell script that will take the sum of two random number? Ex: Random n1 +Random n2 = result i tries to write it but i had some dufficulties ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic on a Float in bash

I am using bash I have a script that takes a number, i.e. 85.152, which is always a non integer and essentially tries to get that number to be a multiple of 10. My code is as follows: number=85.152 A=${number%.*} #Converts float to integer typeset -i B=$(((A-20)/10)) #subtracting 20 is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: prodigious8
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help about using variables of float numbers in sed

Hi, I need to run a Fortran program which reads a input file with a fixed name many times, each time I need to change a number (real) in that input file, this is how I currently do it and I know it is not elegent at all: cp inputfile.dat backup.dat sed -i 's/28.0/0.01/g' inputfile.dat ./myCode... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dypang
3 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)