Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Random float numbers in BASH
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Random float numbers in BASH Post 302508310 by Chubler_XL on Sunday 27th of March 2011 08:02:02 PM
Old 03-27-2011
As Corona688 says generate the digits for the 5 decimal places. I'd pick 3 digits then 2 as RANDOM won't go high enough to pick all 5

Code:
#!/bin/bash
listFloats=0.0
for i in {0..3}
do
   aux=$(printf "0.%03d%02d" $(( $RANDOM % 1000 )) $(( $RANDOM % 100)))
   if [ ${i} -eq 0 ]
   then

This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding float numbers

how to add 2 float values to each other? i tried this and it doesnt work: #!bin/bash numone=1.234 numtwo=0.124 total=`expr $numone + $numtwo` echo $total thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: strike
5 Replies

2. Solaris

i cannot assign float point numbers to an array in solaris

total=0 declare -a sum limit=`iostat -En | grep -i size | awk '{print $2}' | sed -e 's/GB//g' | wc -l` echo "Limit is equal to $limit" ara="`iostat -En | grep -i size | awk '{print $2}' | sed -e 's/GB//g'`" for (( i=1; i<=$limit; i++ )) do sum=`echo $ara | cut -d " " -f $i` echo ${sum}... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
11 Replies

3. Solaris

can array store float point numbers

Hi all, I have doubt can array in a shell script can store floating point numbers. i have tired. but i unable to work it out. Please help me regarding this Thank U Naree (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naree
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random numbers from 0 to 1000

Hello All, I want to make a simple script which generate random number from 0 to 1000. and simply display it. Plz HELP!!!!!! Regards, Waqas Ahmed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
2 Replies

5. Programming

comparison between float numbers

Hi, i have a simple control like this: if(sum>1.0)... If i try to print sum i get 1.000000 but the check returns true. I think it depends on float precision. How can i modify the check? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random numbers

Hi, I am having trouble with generating random numbers. can this be done with awk? So I have a file that looks like this: 23 30 24 40 26 34 So column1 is start and column2 is end. I want to generate 3 random #'s between start and stop: So the output will look like this: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
9 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Random numbers

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Write a shell script that will take the sum of two random number? Ex: Random n1 +Random n2 = result i tries to write it but i had some dufficulties ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic on a Float in bash

I am using bash I have a script that takes a number, i.e. 85.152, which is always a non integer and essentially tries to get that number to be a multiple of 10. My code is as follows: number=85.152 A=${number%.*} #Converts float to integer typeset -i B=$(((A-20)/10)) #subtracting 20 is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: prodigious8
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help about using variables of float numbers in sed

Hi, I need to run a Fortran program which reads a input file with a fixed name many times, each time I need to change a number (real) in that input file, this is how I currently do it and I know it is not elegent at all: cp inputfile.dat backup.dat sed -i 's/28.0/0.01/g' inputfile.dat ./myCode... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dypang
3 Replies
RANDOM(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 RANDOM(3)

NAME
random, srandom, initstate, setstate - random number generator. SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> long int random(void); void srandom(unsigned int seed); char *initstate(unsigned int seed, char *state, size_t n); char *setstate(char *state); DESCRIPTION
The random() function uses a non-linear additive feedback random number generator employing a default table of size 31 long integers to return successive pseudo-random numbers in the range from 0 to RAND_MAX. The period of this random number generator is very large, approx- imately 16*((2**31)-1). The srandom() function sets its argument as the seed for a new sequence of pseudo-random integers to be returned by random(). These sequences are repeatable by calling srandom() with the same seed value. If no seed value is provided, the random() function is automati- cally seeded with a value of 1. The initstate() function allows a state array state to be initialized for use by random(). The size of the state array n is used by init- state() to decide how sophisticated a random number generator it should use -- the larger the state array, the better the random numbers will be. seed is the seed for the initialization, which specifies a starting point for the random number sequence, and provides for restarting at the same point. The setstate() function changes the state array used by the random() function. The state array state is used for random number generation until the next call to initstate() or setstate(). state must first have been initialized using initstate() or be the result of a previous call of setstate(). RETURN VALUE
The random() function returns a value between 0 and RAND_MAX. The srandom() function returns no value. The initstate() and setstate() functions return a pointer to the previous state array, or NULL on error. ERRORS
EINVAL A state array of less than 8 bytes was specified to initstate(). NOTES
Current "optimal" values for the size of the state array n are 8, 32, 64, 128, and 256 bytes; other amounts will be rounded down to the nearest known amount. Using less than 8 bytes will cause an error. CONFORMING TO
BSD 4.3 SEE ALSO
rand(3), srand(3) GNU
2000-08-20 RANDOM(3)