Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Random float numbers in BASH
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Random float numbers in BASH Post 302508310 by Chubler_XL on Sunday 27th of March 2011 08:02:02 PM
Old 03-27-2011
As Corona688 says generate the digits for the 5 decimal places. I'd pick 3 digits then 2 as RANDOM won't go high enough to pick all 5

Code:
#!/bin/bash
listFloats=0.0
for i in {0..3}
do
   aux=$(printf "0.%03d%02d" $(( $RANDOM % 1000 )) $(( $RANDOM % 100)))
   if [ ${i} -eq 0 ]
   then

This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding float numbers

how to add 2 float values to each other? i tried this and it doesnt work: #!bin/bash numone=1.234 numtwo=0.124 total=`expr $numone + $numtwo` echo $total thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: strike
5 Replies

2. Solaris

i cannot assign float point numbers to an array in solaris

total=0 declare -a sum limit=`iostat -En | grep -i size | awk '{print $2}' | sed -e 's/GB//g' | wc -l` echo "Limit is equal to $limit" ara="`iostat -En | grep -i size | awk '{print $2}' | sed -e 's/GB//g'`" for (( i=1; i<=$limit; i++ )) do sum=`echo $ara | cut -d " " -f $i` echo ${sum}... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
11 Replies

3. Solaris

can array store float point numbers

Hi all, I have doubt can array in a shell script can store floating point numbers. i have tired. but i unable to work it out. Please help me regarding this Thank U Naree (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naree
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random numbers from 0 to 1000

Hello All, I want to make a simple script which generate random number from 0 to 1000. and simply display it. Plz HELP!!!!!! Regards, Waqas Ahmed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
2 Replies

5. Programming

comparison between float numbers

Hi, i have a simple control like this: if(sum>1.0)... If i try to print sum i get 1.000000 but the check returns true. I think it depends on float precision. How can i modify the check? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random numbers

Hi, I am having trouble with generating random numbers. can this be done with awk? So I have a file that looks like this: 23 30 24 40 26 34 So column1 is start and column2 is end. I want to generate 3 random #'s between start and stop: So the output will look like this: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
9 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Random numbers

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Write a shell script that will take the sum of two random number? Ex: Random n1 +Random n2 = result i tries to write it but i had some dufficulties ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic on a Float in bash

I am using bash I have a script that takes a number, i.e. 85.152, which is always a non integer and essentially tries to get that number to be a multiple of 10. My code is as follows: number=85.152 A=${number%.*} #Converts float to integer typeset -i B=$(((A-20)/10)) #subtracting 20 is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: prodigious8
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help about using variables of float numbers in sed

Hi, I need to run a Fortran program which reads a input file with a fixed name many times, each time I need to change a number (real) in that input file, this is how I currently do it and I know it is not elegent at all: cp inputfile.dat backup.dat sed -i 's/28.0/0.01/g' inputfile.dat ./myCode... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dypang
3 Replies
RANDOM(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						 RANDOM(4)

NAME
random , urandom -- random data source devices. SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device random DESCRIPTION
The random device produces uniformly distributed random byte values of potentially high quality. To obtain random bytes, open /dev/random for reading and read from it. To add entropy to the random generation system, open /dev/random for writing and write data that you believe to be somehow random. /dev/urandom is a compatibility nod to Linux. On Linux, /dev/urandom will produce lower quality output if the entropy pool drains, while /dev/random will prefer to block and wait for additional entropy to be collected. With Yarrow, this choice and distinction is not necessary, and the two devices behave identically. You may use either. OPERATION
The random device implements the Yarrow pseudo random number generator algorithm and maintains its entropy pool. Additional entropy is fed to the generator regularly by the SecurityServer daemon from random jitter measurements of the kernel. SecurityServer is also responsible for periodically saving some entropy to disk and reloading it during startup to provide entropy in early system operation. You may feed additional entropy to the generator by writing it to the random device, though this is not required in a normal operating envi- ronment. LIMITATIONS AND WARNINGS
Yarrow is a fairly resilient algorithm, and is believed to be resistant to non-root. The quality of its output is however dependent on regu- lar addition of appropriate entropy. If the SecurityServer system daemon fails for any reason, output quality will suffer over time without any explicit indication from the random device itself. Paranoid programmers can counteract this risk somewhat by collecting entropy of their choice (e.g. from keystroke or mouse timings) and seed- ing it into random directly before obtaining important random numbers. FILES
/dev/random /dev/urandom HISTORY
A random device appeared in the Linux operating system. Darwin September 6, 2001 Darwin