Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Modems still in operation?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Modems still in operation? Post 302508292 by Corona688 on Sunday 27th of March 2011 03:55:29 PM
Old 03-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
Does anyone still use modems for anything? Every now and then I see a web site that offers low res video for dial-up users. I wonder if any dial-up users still exist.
There are lots and lots and lots of dialup users in this province.

Every couple years, this province puts forth an initiative to get broadband to everyone in the province and sells the project to the lowest bidder -- who invariably chickens out and decides we must have meant "only in places of highest density", then puts up another damned cellphone tower. There are and continue to be communities that can't even get dialup -- local-only phone service unless you call collect. It's also a convenient moneygrab for the dominant provider, cellphone access internet allows them to charge by-the-meg once you go over a tiny limit. It's even worse in Manitoba, where there's huge dead areas without proper high speed or cellphone coverage at all.

Not that I don't appreciate sites optimized for low bandwidth just 'cause I have high speed. Low-bandwidth sites load faaaaast, and just having bandwidth available doesn't mean I need to bleed it from every pore. Multi-megaton Windows, Mcaffee, Norton, and Itunes updates are more than willing to consume all that bandwidth for you these days before you even open a web browser, and people are feeling the crunch due to new bandwidth laws and such, not just here but in a few places. And on days when our "high speed" is working slow (increasingly many), they still load fast.

I've also seen people occasionally using free-to-air internet in some places, and from seeing how that works, it appears to be some strange sort of wireless dialup. Whatever will they think of next?

Last edited by Corona688; 03-27-2011 at 05:07 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Win-modems

Does anyone know of the where abouts of a Win-Modem Driver for linux ? Ifyou do PLEASE give me the URL because i need one badly (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JeZzTeR
1 Replies

2. Linux

Linux & Internal Modems

Hello There! Why is it so difficult (read: impossible) to configure and run an internal modem in linux operating system. Not all can afford an external modem and hardware modems are obsolete as well as out of production. Is it impossible to write software drivers for an internal modem to work... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
6 Replies

3. SuSE

Linux & External USB Modems

Hello There, I can understand that this is a classic problem with linux that it does not support even the hardware external modems. I have recently tried a USR External USB v 92 Modem (Model USR 5636). It has got its own DSP @56 Mhz, flash ram of 256 KBs and a EEPROM for upgrading the firmware.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with arithmetic operation

I am using egrep to extract numbers from a file and storing them as variables in a script. But I am not able to do any arithmetic operations on the variables using "expr" because it stores them as char and not integers. Here is my code and the error I get. Any help will be appreciated. #!/bin/sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emjayshaikh
3 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

regarding internal modems

hi I have two internal modems connected in my system. For these two lines i have connected two separate telephone lines. When i try to call from one modem through the telephone line i get connect message. when i try to call from the other telephone line connected to another modem i did not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajas1982
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array operation

Hi, I would like ask for you help for coding array operation. array= ( a b c d e f ) I would like to remove entry "d" from my array and import the remaining entries back to the array. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phamp008
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat operation

Hi, Can anyone explain me what is the functionality of this code cat << EOF > $TSTFILE /$1/ { print "SENT" } EOF Suggestions welcome Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

string operation

i am new user of unix.i have a question.My script is- export STR_ALFA=`head -2 "${FILE_PATH}"|tail -1|cut -d"," -f1` "${TEST_HOME}"/function/chk_alfa.ksh STR_ALFA now i want to check STR_ALFA: 1)whether is alphabetic 2)whether is numeric 3)whether is alphanumeric... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arghya_owen
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

string operation

i am new user of unix.i have a question.My script is- export STR_ALFA=`head -2 "${FILE_PATH}"|tail -1|cut -d"," -f1` "${TEST_HOME}"/function/chk_alfa.ksh STR_ALFA now i want to check STR_ALFA: 1)whether is alphabetic 2)whether is numeric 3)whether is alphanumeric... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arghya_owen
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column operation : cosne and sine operation

I have a txt file with several columns and i want to peform an operation on two columns and output it to a new txt file . file.txt 900.00000 1 1 1 500.00000 500.00000 100000.000 4 4 1.45257346E-07 899.10834 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
4 Replies
dialups(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							dialups(4)

NAME
dialups, d_passwd - dialup security control DESCRIPTION
and are used to control the dialup security feature of (see login(1)). If is present, the first word on each line is compared with the name of the line upon which the login is being performed (including the as returned by (see ttyname(3C)). If the login is occurring on a line found in dialup security is invoked. Anything after a space or tab is ignored. When dialup security is invoked, requests an additional password, and checks it against that found in The command name found in the ``pro- gram to use as shell'' field of is used to select the password to be used. Each entry in consists of three fields, separated by colons. The first is the command name, matching an entry in The second is the encrypted password to be used for dialup security for those users logging in to use that program. The third is commentary, but the second colon is required to delimit the end of the password. A null password is designated with two adjacent colons. The entry for is used if no other entry matches the command name taken from FILES
dial-in tty lines passwords SEE ALSO
login(1), passwd(4). dialups(4)