Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux on custom hardware
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux on custom hardware Post 302508229 by LivinFree on Saturday 26th of March 2011 11:15:46 PM
Old 03-27-2011
The OP said Flash. Other options are PXE booting + NFS. Truly diskless workstations are out there.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

What hardware will LINUX run on 386/486 ?

I'm really new to this and I want to learn UNIX/LINUX and saw the post about setting up a server to use everyday to practice. I have an old 386 PC and a 486 PC sitting around. Can they be reformatted and used to run UNIX/LINUX on as a network. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barkingmad
4 Replies

2. Red Hat

Custom HA agent - Red Hat Linux Cluster

Hi experts, I have some custom application which I need to make Highly Available using red hat cluster service. How do I do it? i know in /usr/share/cluster i shall find HA agents for well known services like Apache or Sybase but I want to write HA agent for my own. I tried looking up on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pshaikh
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

With Linux do Hardware Brands Matter?

We have run software on Dell Servers w/ Windows and seen the performance degrade overtime. We switched to an IBM server w/ AIX and have not seen the same performance degradation over time. In fact, the IBM servers are at least five years old and continue to preform well at the same level. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bggibson
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help creating a custom linux distro

Hi all, for a while now I've been working on a linux distro and I'm a couple of tweaks away from it to be perfected so if any experts want to help me out please message me. Thanks in advance. (I know I've posted a similar thread on the same topic but it was closed due to an unhelpful title... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: allk
0 Replies

5. Hardware

Does this hardware works with Linux

Hello folks, I pretend acquire this hardware: 1-Motherboard Asus Skt1151 - H110M-A/M.2 (https://www.asus.com/pt/Motherboards...cifications/); 2-Intel i5 6400 2.7Ghz QuadCore Skt1151; or 2-Intel i5 6500 3.2Ghz QuadCore Skt1151; 3-Dimm 8GB DDR4 Kingston CL15 2133Mhz; Obvious I pretend... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: enodev
1 Replies

6. Programming

Help w/ writing a custom Linux shell using x86 assembly (NASM)

Hello world, I thought this might be a great start to help me with an assignment I have that requires me to write an assembly program that mimics a 32 bit Linux command shell: When launched, your program will perform the following steps in a loop: 1. Print a prompt, specifically “$ “... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: turtle13
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create custom options of my own in systemctl Linux?

Hello All, Greetings!! I was trying to create a custom option in systemctl like its out of the box options eg--> status, stop, start, restart, I have tried searching in google but didn't find anything related to it. Basically I would like to create a custom option which is related to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
9 Replies
info(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   info(4)

NAME
info - diskless client configuration information file DESCRIPTION
The file is a POSIX shell sourceable file which contains parameter definitions used at boot time. Typically, it will be an empty file and default values will be used for all parameters. Following is the list of parameters which can be defined in the file: Specifies the IP address of the client's private root server. If this is not specified, the client's private root server defaults to the boot server. Specifies the pathname to the client's private root on the private root server. If this is not specified, the client's private root path defaults to Specifies the NFS mount options to mount the client's private root from the private root server. If this is not specified, the mount options default to Specifies the NFS mount options to mount the client's directory from the boot server. If this is not specified, the mount options default to Specifies whether NFS should be configured as primary swap. (NOTE: In order to swap to NFS, a diskless kernel must be configured with tunable parameter set to 1.) If a diskless machine has a local swap disk and swap to NFS is not desired, the parameter should be set to the value of 1 and the diskless kernel should be configured without setting to 1. If this parameter is not specified in the file and the kernel tunable parameter is set to 1, then NFS will be configured as primary swap. If not set, this parameter defaults to a value of 1, and results in the removal of all swapfiles above the configured swap minimum (swap is specified in the client's when a disk- less client boots. This ensures that extraneous swapfiles at boot time are removed, thus freeing disk space. If is set to 0 in the file, removal of extra swapfiles is disabled. This may result in faster boot times due to the time savings in creating additional swap files. The file resides in the same directory as the client's kernel () on the boot server and is retrieved at boot time using command. By default, when a diskless client is created, an empty file is placed in the client's kernel directory. This ensures that all parameters revert to their default values (see above). If the file is not present, this is an error. EXAMPLES
An example file is shown below: FILES
info(4)