Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete 2 months before old files when we get alarm directory size > 90% Post 302508228 by kevintse on Saturday 26th of March 2011 10:29:17 PM
Old 03-26-2011
You can setup a cron job, and check regularly the size of /dir1/dir2 using the du command, and remove/move the files in that directory when its size reaches the threshold.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cp files (>5 Mb size) from one directory to another

Hi All, I have a requirement like below, I want to transfer few file of size > 5 Mb from one directory to anotehr directory. Please let me know the command how can i do that Sorry if it looks silly Senthil (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skcontact
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than 3 months.(read date from the name of the file)

Guys, My log files stored in the date format format below(log_20080714072942): TIMESTAMP=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S` LOG=/log/log_${TIMESTAMP}.log I'm looking for a shell script which deletes all files which is older than 3 months from today. Regards, Bhagat (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagat.singh-j
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete 6 months old files

Hi, Iam trying to delete 6 months old files. Iam using the following script -ctime +190 -type f -exec echo rm {} \; Iam getting an error saying -ctime not found. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sompalle Jalaja
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than "x" if directory size is greater than "y"

I wrote a script to delete files which are older than "x" days, if the size of the directory is greater than "y" #!/bin/bash du -hs $1 while read SIZE ENTRY do if ; then find $1 -mtime +$2 -exec rm -f {} \; echo "Files older than $2 days deleted" else echo "free Space available"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesCarter
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete Files based on size

Hello Community! Im newbie on shell programming and its my first post. Im trying to make a bash shell script that it removes files of subdirectory. it is called : rms -{g|l|b} size1 dir -g means : remove file or files in dir that is above size1 -l means: remove file or files in dir that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BTKBaaMMM
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete folder in a directory which are two months old

I need help. I have to create a script which will delete multiple directory (folders) that are two months old. Example, I have folders dated April, May, June and July. I have to delete folders April and May and retain June and July and as such that when the July month lapse, the folder June will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasperux
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Need Script to ZIP/SAVE & then DELETE Log file & DELETE ZIPS older than 12 months

ENVIROMENT Linux: Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) iPlanet: iPlanet-WebServer-Enterprise/6.0SP1 Log Path: /usr/iplanet/servers/https-company/logs I have iPlanet log rotation enabled rotating files on a daily basis. The rotated logs are NOT compressed & are taking up too much space. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zachs
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting files and directory's older than 3 months

I have a qnap TS259 that is running ubuntu. Have successfully setup back scripts that are initiated by cron. I would like to create a couple scrypts that would operate on the recycle bins for both drives. Just want to be able to run the script manually that would walk through both directories... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mackconsult
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to delete to the list of files in a directory based on last created & delete them

Hi My directory structure is as below. dir1, dir2, dir3 I have the list of files to be deleted in the below path as below. /staging/retain_for_2years/Cleanup/log $ ls -lrt total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody nobody 256 Mar 01 16:15 01-MAR-2015_SPDBS2 drwxr-xr-x 2 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasadn
2 Replies
cron(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  cron(1M)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
cron starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. You can specify regularly scheduled commands to cron according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once can be submitted using the at(1) command. cron only examines crontab or at command files during its own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at command is run. This reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. As cron never exits, it should be executed only once. This is done routinely by way of the svc:/system/cron:default service. The file /etc/cron.d/FIFO file is used as a lock file to prevent the execution of more than one instance of cron. cron captures the output of the job's stdout and stderr streams, and, if it is not empty, mails the output to the user. If the job does not produce output, no mail is sent to the user. An exception is if the job is an at(1) job and the -m option was specified when the job was submitted. cron and at jobs are not executed if your account is locked. Jobs and processses execute. The shadow(4) file defines which accounts are not locked and will have their jobs and processes executed. Setting cron Jobs Across Timezones The timezone of the cron daemon sets the system-wide timezone for cron entries. This, in turn, is by set by default system-wide using /etc/default/init. If some form of daylight savings or summer/winter time is in effect, then jobs scheduled during the switchover period could be executed once, twice, or not at all. Setting cron Defaults To keep a log of all actions taken by cron, you must specify CRONLOG=YES in the /etc/default/cron file. If you specify CRONLOG=NO, no log- ging is done. Keeping the log is a user configurable option since cron usually creates huge log files. You can specify the PATH for user cron jobs by using PATH= in /etc/default/cron. You can set the PATH for root cron jobs using SUPATH= in /etc/default/cron. Carefully consider the security implications of setting PATH and SUPATH. Example /etc/default/cron file: CRONLOG=YES PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb: This example enables logging and sets the default PATH used by non-root jobs to /usr/bin:/usr/ucb:. Root jobs continue to use /usr/sbin:/usr/bin. The cron log file is periodically rotated by logadm(1M). FILES
/etc/cron.d Main cron directory /etc/cron.d/FIFO Lock file /etc/default/cron cron default settings file /var/cron/log cron history information /var/spool/cron Spool area /etc/cron.d/queuedefs Queue description file for at, batch, and cron /etc/logadm.conf Configuration file for logadm ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), at(1), crontab(1), sh(1), logadm(1M), svcadm(1M), queuedefs(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The cron service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/cron:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. DIAGNOSTICS
A history of all actions taken by cron is stored in /var/cron/log and possibly in /var/cron/olog. SunOS 5.10 5 Aug 2004 cron(1M)