Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep exact match
Operating Systems Solaris grep exact match Post 302507937 by vgersh99 on Friday 25th of March 2011 07:41:24 AM
Old 03-25-2011
grep '^dog$' <filename> does work on Solaris.
What OS are you on?
Try using 'egrep' instead.
Post the output of cat -vet filename using the code tags.
Do you have any leading/trailing spaces/tabs?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Exact Match thru grep ?????

hey..... i do have text where the contents are like as follows, FILE_TYPE_NUM_01=FILE_TYPE=01|FILE_DESC=Periodic|FILE_SCHDL_TYPE=Daily|FILE_SCHDL=|FILE_SCHDL_TIME=9:00am|RESULTS=B FILE_TYPE_NUM_02=FILE_TYPE=02|FILE_DESC=NCTO|FILE_SCHDL_TYPE=Daily|FILE_SCHDL=|FILE_SCHDL_TIME=9:00am|RESULTS=M... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed or grep to find exact match of text

Hi, Can anyone help me with the text editing I need here. I have a file that contains the following lines for example: (line numbers are for illustration only) 1 Hello world fantasy. 2 Hello worldfuntastic. 3 Hello world wonderful. I would like to get all those lines of text that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: risk_sly
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and sed exact match questions

This was mistaken as homework in a different forum, but is not. These are questions that are close to what I am trying to do at work. QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and sed exact match questions

This post was previously mistaken for homework, but is actually a small piece of what I working on at work. Please answer if you can. QUESTION1 How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodc
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep two words with exact match

HI Input : Counters Counter Int Ints Counters Counters Ints Ints I want to grep Counter|Int Output : Counter (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for exact match using grep

I am searching for an exact match on a value read from another file to lookup an email address in another file. The file being checked is called "contacts" and it has Act #, email address, and contact person. 1693;abc1693@yahoo.comt;Tommy D 6423;abc6423@yahoo.comt;Jim Doran... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziggy6
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep or sed - printing line only with exact match

Hello. In my script, some command return : q | kernel-default | package | 3.19.0-1.1.g8a7d5f9 | x86_64 | openSUSE-13.2-Kernel_stable_standard | kernel-default | package | 3.19.0-1.1.g8a7d5f9 | i586 | openSUSE-13.2-Kernel_stable_standard | kernel-default ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep exact match

Hello! I have 2 files named tacs.tmp and tacDB.txt tacs.tmp looks like this 0 10235647 102700 106800 107200 1105700 tacDB.txt looks like this 100100,Mitsubishi,G410,Handheld,,0,0,0 100200,Siemens,A53,Handheld,,0,0,0 100300,Sony Ericsson,TBD (AAB-1880030-BV),Handheld,,0,0,0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cludgie
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep exact match without period or other special characters

If I have a file like the following abc.1 abc abc_1 abc..1 abc*1 abc@1 abc def ghr def...... ddef 5466 def ed def** 123445 I`m trying to find exact words from the list abc def (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for an exact match in a file

I am currently having some issues while trying to grep for a exact string inside a file. I have tried doing this from command line and things work fine i.e. when no match is found, return code=1 but when its done as part of my script it returns 0 for the same command - I dont know if there is an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ads89
6 Replies
FILTERS(6)							   Games Manual 							FILTERS(6)

NAME
ken, b1ff, censor, chef, cockney, eleet, fanboy, fudd, jethro, jibberish, jive, kenny, kraut, ky00te, nethack, newspeak, nyc, pirate, rasterman, scottish, spammer, scramble, studly, uniencode, upside-down - assorted text filters SYNOPSIS
$SHELL | chef newspeak < thesis.tex > newthesis.tex eleet | wall # b1ff works well too b1ff | ircII | censor DESCRIPTION
All of these programs are filters to do all sorts of strange things to text. No personal, racial, religious or societal slurs are intended. For amusement only. All the filters read input from stdin, change it, and write the filtered text to stdout. Some filters also support reading from files and writing to stdout. b1ff The B1FF filter cockney Cockney English chef convert English on stdin to Mock Swedish on stdout eleet K3wl hacker slang fanboy Speak like a fanboy. Filters out extraneous words and focuses on the words fans use. By default, it will speak like a fan of git/Linus/linux development. To change this, pass as parameters the words that the fanboy typically uses. Alternatively, pass the name of a topic that typically has fanboys to use a predefined word list. fudd Elmer Fudd jethro Hillbilly text filter jive Jive English jibberish Runs text through a random selection of the rest of the filters, to make really weird output. ken English into Cockney, featuring (dubious) rhyming slang for a lot of computer terminology. kraut Generates text with a bad German accent. kenny Generates text as spoken by Kenny on South Park. ky00te This program places a very cute (and familiar to FurryMuck fans) accent on any text file. nethackify Wiped out text like can be found in nethack. newspeak A-la-1984 censor CDA-ize text nyc Brooklyn English pirate Talk like a pirate. rasterman Makes text look like it came from the keyboard of Carsten Haitzler. scottish Fake scottish (dwarven) accent filter, inspired by the character "Durkon" from Order of the Stick. spammer Turns honest text into something that is liable to be flagged as spam. scramble Scramble the "inner" letters of each word in the input into a random order. The resulting text is still strangely readable. studly Studly caps. uniencode Use glorious unicode to the fullest possibile extent. As seen previously in many man pages. upside-down Flips text upside down. Stand on your head and squint to read the output. SEE ALSO
/usr/share/doc/filters/SAMPLES Lists samples of the output of all the filters. Other filters: pig From the bsdgames package, pig converts text to pig latin. dog --oog From the dog package, dog can also function as a filter, converting text to OOG-speak. AUTHORS
The eleet, upside-down, chef, b1ff, and censor filters were written by Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net>. Daniel V Klein <dvk@lonewolf.com> wrote the cockney, jive, and nyc filters. jibberish is by Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com>, jethro is by Duane Paulson <ci922@cleve- land.freenet.edu>, rasterman is by Zachary Beane, ken is by Stephen K Mulrine <skm@eqsn.net>, newspeak is by Jamie Zawinski <jwz@jwz.org>, studly is by Nick Phillips <nwp@lemon-computing.com>, Gurkan Sengun <gurkan@linuks.mine.nu> wrote nethackify, Dougal Campbell <dougal@gun- ters.org> wrote pirate, kraut is by John Sparks, scottish by Adam Borowski, Kenny is by Christian Garbs and Alan Eldridge, and scramble by Andrew J. Buehler. FILTERS(6)