Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting deleting lines above and below a word! Post 302507923 by jacky29 on Friday 25th of March 2011 07:04:37 AM
Old 03-25-2011
deleting lines above and below a word!

i jst want to delete a host entry from httpd.conf
for eg:

i have entries such as:

Code:
<VirtualHost 192.168.1.157:80>
DocumentRoot /home/karthik
ServerName kar
</VirtualHost>
DocumentRoot /home/karthik1
ServerName www
</VirtualHost>
        DocumentRoot /home/lalz
        ServerName lal.com
</VirtualHost>

i want to delete the entry containing the domain name lal.com
ie..the output should be:
Code:
DocumentRoot /home/karthik
ServerName karthiks
</VirtualHost>
DocumentRoot /home/karthik1
ServerName karthik1
</VirtualHost>

the entry for lal.com should be deleted!!
anyone..plz help me out!!
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment
Please use code tags when posting data and code samples!

Last edited by vgersh99; 03-25-2011 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: code tags, please!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting last characters of a word

Hi All is there a way to delete last n characters from a word like say i have employee_new i want to delete _new. and just get only employee I want this in AIX Shell scripting Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaryan4545
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word count of lines ending with certain word

Hi all, I am trying to write a command that can help me count the number of lines in the /etc/passwd file ending in bash. I have read through other threads but am yet to find one indicating how to locate a specifc word at the end of a line. I know i will need to use the wc command but when i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: warlock129
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting word from this point to end of file in VI

Hi All i need to delete a recurring word from point "n" till end of the file. there are other words in this file so i cannot use `dG`, can anyone help me out? Kind regards Brian (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brian112
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - deleting each line up to a word

Hi there, I'd like to delete the beginning of a line up until it finds a certain word or character string: in this case, I'd like to delete each line up to the word "mounting". Thanks ;) Susan (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kitykity
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search the word to be deleted and delete lines above this word starting from P1 to P3

Hi, I have to search a word in a text file and then I have to delete lines above from the word searched . For eg suppose the file is like this: Records P1 10,23423432 ,77:1 ,234:2 P2 10,9089004 ,77:1 ,234:2 ,87:123 ,9898:2 P3 456456 P1 :123,456456546 P2 abc:324234 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a word from a string

Hello All, I have a string like below - /LDCA20/rel/prod/libina.a I want to delete "libina.a" which is at the end.How can I do this ?? Thanks in advance Regards, Anand (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting rows starting with a character and word

Hi, I have multiple files of same format and I want to delete the lines starting with # and The from all of them I am using egrep -v '^(#|$)' for # but unable to do for both # and The Please guide Thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bioinfo
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines in a fixed length file where there is a word at specific location

I have a big file having 100 K lines. I have to read each line and see at 356 character position whethere there is a word "W" in it. If it is their then don't delete the line otherwise delete it. There are two lines as one Header and one trailer which should remain same. Can somebody... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit kanoongo
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script @ Find a key word and If the key word matches then replace next 7 lines only

Hi All, I have a XML file which is looks like as below. <<please see the attachment >> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <esites> <esite> <name>XXX.com</name> <storeId>10001</storeId> <module> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeev_hbk
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed for deleting the first word of each line?

sed /'1-2'/&^/ filename suppose there is a file containing three lines , how do we do delete the word from each line? hyter efr frf rerfer efe ewd cdcf evrfgf erfv the output has to look like frf ewd erfv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeev Nukala
2 Replies
PAGESIZES(5)							File Formats Manual						      PAGESIZES(5)

NAME
pagesizes - HylaFAX page size definitions DESCRIPTION
The pagesizes database defines the page dimensions and guaranteed reproducible areas (GRA) for well-known page sizes. The GRA is the por- tion of the page that is guaranteed to be imaged during facsimile transmission. This region is typically less than the full page dimen- sions because of paper roller contacts and other mechanical aspects of the printing process in a facsimile machine. All HylaFAX programs that require page size information read the information from this database using a page size name. Documents should be prepared such that the full page dimensions are employed with the imaged area contained within the GRA. The system-wide default page size to use in preparing documents for transmission is given by the ``default'' entry in the database. (NB: the default entry should be placed last so that inverse matches find the real page size name and not the default entry.) The page size database is an ASCII file with the following format. Each entry consists of whitespace-separated fields: name abbrev width height gra-width gra-height top-margin left-margin Fields have the following interpretation: name the full name for the page size; e.g. ISO A4; abbrev an abbreviated version of the full name for use in compact listings such as the receive queue listing printed by faxstat(1); width the full width of the page; height the full height of the page; gra-width the width of the GRA; gra-height the height of the GRA; top-margin the margin between the top of the full page and the top of the GRA; left-margin the margin between the left side of the full page the left side of the GRA. The first two fields must be separated from the subsequent fields by a tab character (possibly followed by more whitespace); this is done to easily permit blank characters to be included in names. Otherwise fields can be separated by any amount of any kind of whitespace. Numbers are all base 10 and in basic measurement units (BMU); defined as 1/1200 x 25.4 millimeters for paper output with a scale factor of one. All fields must be present on a single line; otherwise the entry is ignored. Comments are introduced by the ``#'' character and con- tinue to the end the line. Page size database lookups are either by name or by page dimensions. Lookups by name are done by sequentially scanning the entries in the database for the first entry that has a matching abbreviation or substring of the page size name field. The string comparisons ignore case so, for example, ``a4'' would match a full name of ``ISO A4''. Lookups by dimension scan the entire database and return the page with the closest dimensions using a straightforward distance metric. If the difference in dimensions of the closest match is greater than 1/2 inch on each side, then no page entry is returned for a lookup by dimension. SEE ALSO
hylafax-client(1), faxmail(1), faxstat(1), sendfax(1), sgi2fax(1), textfmt(1). December 5, 1994 PAGESIZES(5)