Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find and Replace then rename file Post 302507825 by chickenhouse on Friday 25th of March 2011 12:05:47 AM
Old 03-25-2011
Thanks but I don't think this will do what I want.

I need to create a new file with a suffix added to it. In that file some text needs to be replaced.

Not sure your solution does either of these things.

Last edited by chickenhouse; 03-25-2011 at 01:19 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find replace within a file?

I build several files by using the cut command to grab select fields(columns) from a really bid csv file. Each file is one column of data. I then put them together using paste command. Here is the code built in tcsh: cut -d , -f 1 some.csv > 1.csv cut -d , -f 10 some.csv > 10.csv paste 1.csv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yankee428
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and rename long file names (html)

Hi Guys, I need a help. I have 1130 zip files. Each one of them has files including 1 html file with long file name (includes special charactors, Alphabetic and numbers). I have copied all 1130 zip files to my linux system and extracted using below command. Find . -name "*.zip" -exec... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajmani
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Rename File using Terminal

I need help finding a file through terminal and then renaming it automatically. Here is what I have so far to find the file: cd /User/Applications find . */SourceM.app/banner.png | while read line; do mv "$line" banner-.png; done I want the script to rename the file "banner.png" to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbisconti97
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Find and rename file

I want to find a file say IIFT and check its size is zero or not. If its zero then I have to rename anothe file say WWFT , which is in another folder to WWFT$Todaysdate. I tried below command: cd dir2 (*File WWFT is in dir2) find dir/ -type f -name 'IIFT*' -size 0 -exec mv WWFT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammbhhar
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find and rename of particular pattern in file.?

Hi Guys, I have folder called /input/temp. Inside the folder I have lot of files. I need to find the file of pattern Article_????_test_?????????.txt and replace by format below. Article_????_?????????.txt Below is the one which I tried but it doesn't works can you please help us.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vinoth Kumar G
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and rename part of a file

hi, Need your help. I need to write a script for below.. i have two files in directory /home/abc as below: Watch_20140203_abc.dat Watchnow_20140203_abc.dat I have to copy this file from /home/abc to /home01/home02 after that i have to rename the date part in above two files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed replace to rename each line a file

Have a file in this format This is line one ; line_one This is line two ; line_two This is line three ; line_three This is line four ; line four. I'm trying to make each line a new file called line_one line_two line_three line_four. Tried using split -1 but then I'm back needing to rename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to read string from file#1 and find/replace in file#2

Hello Forum. I have a file called abc.sed with the following commands; s/1/one/g s/2/two/g ... I also have a second file called abc.dat and would like to substitute all occurrences of "1 with one", "2 with two", etc and create a new file called abc_new.dat sed -f abc.sed abc.dat >... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and rename file recursively

Hi, I have a directory which contains multiple files with .txt extension, i want to rename all these file to .bak extension using find command, this is what i've tried, please help me to correct this : find /home/application/test -name '*.txt' -exec rename 's/txt/bak/' {} \; seems to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to find and replace in a file

Hi All, I am having below sample data in a file. I need to find all the line form this file with word ABC and i need to replace the characters at position 120 which is "CO:BOGFDUI"(30chars) in the lines with blank space. I have tried using grep to find the word with ABC (grep ABC filename),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
3 Replies
XmTextReplace(library call)											       XmTextReplace(library call)

NAME
XmTextReplace -- A Text function that replaces part of a text string SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Text.h> void XmTextReplace( Widget widget, XmTextPosition from_pos, XmTextPosition to_pos, char * value); DESCRIPTION
XmTextReplace replaces part of the text string in the Text widget. The character positions begin at 0 (zero) and are numbered sequentially from the beginning of the text. An example text replacement would be to replace the second and third characters in the text string. To accomplish this, the parameter from_pos must be 1 and to_pos must be 3. To insert a string after the fourth character, both parameters, from_pos and to_pos, must be 4. This routine calls the widget's XmNvalueChangedCallback and verification callbacks, either XmNmodifyVerifyCallback or XmNmodifyVerifyCall- backWcs, or both. If both verification callback lists are registered, the procedures of the XmNmodifyVerifyCallback list are executed first and the resulting data is passed to the XmNmodifyVerifyCallbackWcs callbacks. The XmNmotionVerifyCallback is generated if to_pos is less than or equal to the cursor position and the length of value is not the same as the length of the text being replaced, or if the cursor position is between from_pos and to_pos, and the distance from the cursor position to from_pos is greater than the length of value. widget Specifies the Text widget ID from_pos Specifies the start position of the text to be replaced to_pos Specifies the end position of the text to be replaced value Specifies the character string value to be added to the text widget For a complete definition of Text and its associated resources, see XmText(3). RELATED
XmText(3) and XmTextReplaceWcs(3). XmTextReplace(library call)