Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Trying to sort words and numbers associated with them. Post 302507720 by gaurab on Thursday 24th of March 2011 03:15:55 PM
Old 03-24-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by maq
Thank you so very much! I am really grateful. Could you please explain what happens when you give the parameters -k1,1 -k2,2n ?
-k1,1 tells sort that: first sort the file alphabetically using column 1 as the key. (1,1) means only use the first column.
The option just "-k1" would mean use the whole line as key starting with column 1.

-k2,2n that follows means: after sorting with first column sort with only 2nd column as key (2,2). The option "n" means sort is done numerically using this field.

-G
This User Gave Thanks to gaurab For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Web Development

Query to print numbers in words

Hi, If i give a number say "1234" the output of mysql query should be: one thousand and twenty four How to write mysql query for this? With regards Vanitha (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract numbers below words with awk

Hi all, Please some help over here. I have a Sales.txt file containing info in blocks for every sold product in the pattern showed below (only for 2 products). NEW BLOCK SALE DATA PRODUCT SERIAL 79833269999 146701011945004 .Some other data .Some... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query to print numbers in words

Hi, I have to write a shell script that converts numbers in to words below is what i wrote.My script is not running. ----------------------------------- echo -n "Enter number : " read n len= echo $n | wc -c echo " number in words : " for ( i=1; i<len; i++ ) do num=echo $n... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bab123
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort words in a line

Hi Im looking for a way, hopefully a one-liner to sort words in a line e.g "these are the words in a line" to "a are in line the these words" Thanks! (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebelbuttmunch
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort Floating Numbers Using the Sort Command?

Hi to all. I'm trying to sort this with the Unix command sort. user1:12345678:3.5:2.5:8:1:2:3 user2:12345679:4.5:3.5:8:1:3:2 user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2 user4:12345670:5.5:2.5:5:3:2:1 user5:12345671:2.5:5.5:7:2:3:1 I need to get this: user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between words and not between numbers

Hi, Sorry in advance for propably a silly question, but I am a bit lost. On some of the linux job flow I have the following check: if ($file != 1500) then echo ERROR It works ok, all times $file is not equal to 1500 I have the error message. I try to do something similar... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: essemario
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put numbers against the words

Hi All, I tried to solve this but the result gives me all zeros for one file. I failed to do for all 500 files. I have some 500 files with the extension .dat I have another set of files; 500 in number with extension .dic I created these .dic files by using sort -u from the actual .dat files.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it Possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command?

Hello Everybody :) !!!. i have question in mind, is it possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding numbers matching with words

Hi All, I have a file which looks like this: abc 1 abc 2 abc 3 abc 4 abc 5 bcd 1 bcd 3 bcd 3 bcd 5 cde 7 This file is just a miniature version of what I really have. Original file is some 1 million lines long. I have tried to come up with the code for what I wish to accomplish... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

words sort

hello guys i need a command that take the words from multiple files and put them in another file this way: one word needs to appear only once in the destination file with small letters no matter how it appears in source files , the words from destination file needs to be alphabetical ordered and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: G30
10 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)