Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pl script in crontab
Operating Systems Solaris pl script in crontab Post 302507563 by rob171171 on Thursday 24th of March 2011 08:00:05 AM
Old 03-24-2011
Initial script only had path #!/usr/bin/sh and does refer to a .pl script.
I have amedned now to have two paths with

#!/usr/bin/sh [At the start as normal]

&

#!/usr/bin/perl -w [before perl script is run]

This had no affect and the cron still does not run the script..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i use crontab in a script?

hi.. i wolud like to know if itīs possible use the crontab command in my script. the idea is what the script starts automatically, but i donīt know how to do it. please, help me.... thanks jonathan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using a script to modify the crontab

I want to add one line to the end of my crontab using a script. I have tried piping in the editor commands, but I can't get it to work. crontab -e user << EX $a This is the text I want to add. . wq EX This doesn't work. Is there an easier way to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnmsucpe
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab a Script

I know my question maybe eazy, but it realy cause a problem for me I have a Perl script to run and get some output, I run this script using perl /moutaz/ciscolog/telnet.pl I made another script as follow:(/moutaz/ciscolog/script) #!/bin/bash perl /moutaz/ciscolog/telnet.pl cp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moutaz1983
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add a script to Crontab?

Hi! We are on AIX 5.3 I have a script that must be run once every hour. How do i add this to the crontab? I know how to access crontab which is, crontab -e. What do i do after that ? If i have the path to the script? Thank you!!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: atechcorp
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab script

Hi All, I am running a script to find the CPU and memory utilization of the server. Script name is atul. When i run this script then it gives the desired output as DATE, CPU and MEMORY utilization....as mentioned below: $ $ cat atul A=`date| cut -d" " -f1-4; top -d 1 -n 1 | awk '/^CPU... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: atulbassi83
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab script

Hi guys Can someone help me with a crontab script please? I have to sort the files from /bin and put the first 3 of then (with size and path) in /home/user/bin_size i write the command: find /bin/ | xargs ls -lS | awk 'FNR<4{print($5, $9)}' > /home/user/bin_size which is working but when I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: G30
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab script

Hi guys Can someone help me with a crontab script please? I have to sort the files from /bin and put the first 3 of then (with size and path) in /home/user/bin_size i write the command: find /bin/ | xargs ls -lS | awk 'FNR<4{print($5, $9)}' > /home/user/bin_size which is working but when... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: G30
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab + Script + .sql

Hi guys today i'll bring to you a new problem that i need to execute. So what i need to do it's create a script that: conect to some database logon run a .sql script logoff and close the connection after that, put this script on the crontab To set up the crontab it's ok for me, i think... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newer
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab not running script

Hi All, I am having the below script to be run from crontab, it it doesnt run. 1 * * * * /home/cobr_ext/test.sh > /home/cobr_ext/temp.txt when i run i manally it runs without any issues. Could please help me as to why doesnt it run the script.:( (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab in script

I have crontab setup via crontab -e I was wondering if its possible to create a cron job from a script so when the script is run the cron job is created? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptnewbie
3 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
Cron executes commands at specified dates and times according to the instructions in the files /etc/crontab and /etc/crontab.local. None, either one, or both of these files may be present. Since cron never exits, it should only be executed once. This is best done by running cron from the initialization process through the file /etc/rc; see init(8). The crontab files consist of lines of seven fields each. The fields are separated by spaces or tabs. The first five are integer patterns to specify: o minute (0-59) o hour (0-23) o day of the month (1-31) o month of the year (1-12) o day of the week (1-7 with 1 = Monday) Each of these patterns may contain: o a number in the range above o two numbers separated by a minus meaning a range inclusive o a list of numbers separated by commas meaning any of the numbers o an asterisk meaning all legal values The sixth field is a user name: the command will be run with that user's uid and permissions. The seventh field consists of all the text on a line following the sixth field, including spaces and tabs; this text is treated as a command which is executed by the Shell at the specified times. A percent character (``%'') in this field is translated to a new-line character. Both crontab files are checked by cron every minute, on the minute. FILES
/etc/crontab /etc/crontab.local 7th Edition October 23, 1996 CRON(8)