Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bash script directory size
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash script directory size Post 302507382 by impish on Wednesday 23rd of March 2011 05:05:15 PM
Old 03-23-2011
that is my script:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

DIRSIZE=`du -bs $1 | cut -f 1`

echo $DIRSIZE

Code:
~$ ls -lR h867879
h867879:

Summary: 8

-rw-r--r-- 1 h867879 hallgato 536 2011-03-23 17:14 h867879.sh

h867879@linux4:~$ bash kotprog2.sh h867879

and 536 not equal with 4400 :S

Last edited by Scott; 03-23-2011 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script working for small size files but not for big size files.

Hi, I have one file stat. Stat file contents are as follows: for example. H50768020040913,00260100,507680,13,0000000643,0000000643,00000,0000 H50769520040808,00260100,507695,13,0000000000,0000000000,00000,0000 H50770620040611,00260100,507706,13,0000000000,0000000000,00000,0000 Now i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davidpreml
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

to write a script to compare the file size in the current directory and previous dir

hi, i am new to this site. i want to write a script to compare the file size of the files in the current dir with the files in the previous directory. the files name will be same, but the filename format will be as xyzddddyymm.txt. the files will arrive with the month end date(i want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tweety
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Directory size larger than file system size?

Hi, We currently have an Oracle database running and it is creating lots of processes in the /proc directory that are 1000M in size. The size of the /proc directory is now reading 26T. How can this be if the root file system is only 13GB? I have seen this before we an Oracle temp file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor directory size of specific users

Hi, i am new to shell scripts, i need to write a script that can monitor size of directory of specific users. Please help. Thanks, Nitin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicksrulz
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in finishing a bash script for listing subfolder by size in a large folder

Greetings everyone. I have seen that you do wonders here. I have a large folder on a Ubuntu linux. Organization main folder, inside 20 000 subfolders, and inside those subolders many other like 5-6 folders and files. I am interested to create an output to a txt file under the bash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimo
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls directory size reporting byte size instead of file count

I have been searching both on Unix.com and Google and have not been able to find the answer to my question. I think it is partly because I can't come up with the right search terms. Recently, my virtual server switched storage devices and I think the problem may be related to that change.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script - File Size

I have a bash script. I need a modification for safety. my original bash script: mv /home/script/backup /home/script/backup2 mysql -u user -ppassword -Ddatabase --batch --skip-column-names -e 'select id, url from videos where url like "%http%" limit 1' | while read id url do youtube-dl... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tara123
1 Replies

9. Programming

Cant remove directory on bash script

hi all, this is my script and as you can see in the screenshot i attach its not deleting the directory in the source folder #!/bin/bash cd /vol/cha-work/_ARCHIVE/to_be_archived/audio/robert_test temp=/mnt/robert_test/temp dest=/vol/cha-archive/audio echo "is this archive for an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script to get total size off of remainder calculated

I am working on a script to get the final total size and so far have the following and wondering if this can be improved. # Compare the desired size of each lvm to the standard size. If it is desired is larger than calculate the difference and keep that value as the amount to add to that LVM. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: user3528
5 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux