Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting error : test: argument expected Post 302507375 by durden_tyler on Wednesday 23rd of March 2011 04:36:51 PM
Old 03-23-2011
The script in debug mode does not appear to show any error. What happens if you run your script as such -

Code:
sh  /oracle/script/test_purge_tracefile.ksh CONDEV

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing test: argument expected ERROR

Hi All, When i run the below code : v_shortfield = "" if ; then echo "ravi" else echo "kumar" fi i am getting output as : sam.ksh: test: argument expected kumar Why i am getting error test:argument expected and why i am not getting output as "ravi" :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrgarlapati
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ERROR-> test: argument expected , what does it mean?

I am trying to compare two integer variables in the if statement, but i am getting this "test:argument expected". What am i missing? Why is the if loop not executing correctly? trunkPCM="100000"; more $FILE |while read line do PCM=`echo $line | awk '{ print $2 }'` ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tan102938
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

test:argument expected

Hi all, I am getting "test:argument expected" error in the following script LOGDIR=$XXAR_TOP/log PROGRAM_NAME=XXAR_GPS_LBFDMSGEN .. .. .. Check_Errors() { sqllogfile=$1 cd ${LOGDIR} countfile=${LOGDIR}/${PROGRAM_NAME}.tmp echo "countfile is " $countfile >> $LOGFILE echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrs
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

test: argument expected

Can someone help me with a very simple query I have the following script: #!/bin/sh VAR1="" if then VAR1="Message" fi echo $VAR1 put when i run it i get the following error test_job.sh: test: argument expected (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy202
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

test: argument expected

I'm newbie to coding script so i found test: argument expected when i run it. please help me a=`df -k |awk '{print $5 }'|egrep "(100%|%)"|cut -d"%" -f1|tail -1` if then df -k|egrep "(100%|%)"|awk '{print $1,$5,$6}' else echo "No disk capacity more than 80%" fi thk in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test: argument expected.

Hi, Since i am new to Unix and on suggestion on some smart guys on unix... i have decide to learn more deeply on Unix...so i was kind of playing with if statements and found this error... though i tried to correct is for hours now i couldnt find whats wrong in my loop. if then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya2340
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error:--test: argument expected--Even though i give an argument.

Hi All, I am running the script VBoxManage list vms |sed 's/"//g' | cut -d " " -f1 > har1out.mytxt result=`cat har1out.mytxt | grep $1' echo $result echo $1 { if then echo pass else echo fail fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha85
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error- test: argument expected

check_build_info_table() { if then export build_info_table=`sqlplus -s sna/dbmanager <<! set pagesize 0 heading off feedback off SELECT DISTINCT TABLE_NAME FROM ALL_TABLES WHERE OWNER = 'XYZ' AND TABLE_NAME = 'MY_TABLE'; exit !` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambarginni
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Test: argument expected error in shell script

Hi, I am trying to write a small script that validates if there exist files that start with a pattern in a given directory. Below is the piece of my script: #!/usr/bin/ksh BTFDIR=/opt/ships/temp if then echo 'found' else echo 'not found' fi When I run this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snvniranjanrao
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test: argument expected

The following example prompts are passed into the shell script. $1 = /tmp/dir/ $2 = varies (test.txt, test1.txt, test2.txt...) $3 = test_YYYYMMDD.txt --------------------------------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/sh cd $1 if ; then if ; then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smkremer
3 Replies
Test::Script(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Test::Script(3)

NAME
Test::Script - Basic cross-platform tests for scripts DESCRIPTION
The intent of this module is to provide a series of basic tests for 80% of the testing you will need to do for scripts in the script (or bin as is also commonly used) paths of your Perl distribution. Further, it aims to provide this functionality with perfect platform-compatibility, and in a way that is as unobtrusive as possible. That is, if the program works on a platform, then Test::Script should always work on that platform as well. Anything less than 100% is considered unacceptable. In doing so, it is hoped that Test::Script can become a module that you can safely make a dependency of all your modules, without risking that your module won't on some platform because of the dependency. Where a clash exists between wanting more functionality and maintaining platform safety, this module will err on the side of platform safety. FUNCTIONS
script_compiles script_compiles( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script compiles' ); The "script_compiles" test calls the script with "perl -c script.pl", and checks that it returns without error. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. Note also that the test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. script_runs script_runs( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script runs' ); The "script_runs" test executes the script with "perl script.pl" and checks that it returns success. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. The test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. SUPPORT
All bugs should be filed via the bug tracker at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script> For other issues, or commercial enhancement and support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
prove, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2009-11-24 Test::Script(3)