Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Help finding a Unix friendly RAID 1 backup Post 302507368 by c.wakeman on Wednesday 23rd of March 2011 04:23:18 PM
Old 03-23-2011
Quote:
I mean in more detail. What daemons are running to do what, using what files?
I don't know. How would I determine that? I tried a ps -aux but it didn't seem to tell me anything that made sense to me; only one file said daemon.

Quote:
Someone had to set this up at some point in time.
Yes, unfortunately, that individual is no longer with the company, I contacted him and he was either unwilling or unable to help me further with what he had done. (Though, it would be amusing to think of a Linux server spontaneously setting itself up somewhere; divine code-eption?. OK, bad joke, I'll stop now.)

Code:
uname -a command return:
Linux servername.location 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP Wed May 12 21:56:10 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Quote:
I have no idea. How long it takes depends on how large it is and how fast your computer is and how fast your drive is. Quote:
and vs. say doing it through the udpcast as you suggested above?
Direct connection would probably be faster.
Fair enough. You answered my poorly written question despite its ambiguity. I understand it is dependent on computer speed, disk size etc.

Quote:
A good start would be all the output of
Code:
df -h
fdisk -l
Okay, here it is:
Code:
df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5              37G  948M   34G   3% /
tmpfs                1014M     0 1014M   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                   10M  672K  9.4M   7% /dev
tmpfs                1014M     0 1014M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1             464M   19M  421M   5% /boot
/dev/sda6             419G  232G  165G  59% /home

Code:
fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 499.9 GB, 499930628096 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60779 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000da2f6

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1          61      489951   83  Linux
/dev/sda2              62       60779   487717335    5  Extended
/dev/sda5              62        4924    39062016   83  Linux
/dev/sda6            4925       60363   445313736   83  Linux
/dev/sda7           60364       60779     3341488+  82  Linux swap / Solaris

I hope that helps clarify things. Again, thank you for your continuing help.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID Unix command

Is there a command used to determine whether or not a machine has been RAIDed besides using 'df -k'. I am interested b/c I am writing a script where I would like to receive some sort of notification as to whether or not a machine has been RAIDed. The simpler the info returned back, the better. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zuinc
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Sco 5.0.7 Raid Problems

Hello there guys , I have this problem , i have this hp smart array 641 raid card and i'm trying to install sco unix 5.0.7 and is says no root disk found right before the instalation is about to start. I know that you have to load the driver befor the install bud i really cannot find the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

RAID 0 on Unix

I was wanting to know if anyone knew how to setup RAID 0 on an old HP Unix server. It's for where I work and my boss has two hard drives and wants the second to take over if the first one fails hence RAID 0. If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zmachine04
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

User friendly Unix ksh prompt to type directories/files

Hello, I wanted to setup user friendly ksh command prompt, by typing first character of files or directories and then tab bring up whole word. No need to type whole file/directory/command names. Example: cat a file like university just typing un and then tab bring up whole university wod.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdurrouf
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting MSVC /showInclude to unix friendly path

Hi guys, I've been trying to do this for hours, and I've just been running around in circles trying to get this script made. I have a set of files outputted by an MSVC compiler that looks like this 1> helloworld.cpp 1> Note: including file: c:\dev\test\makefile\source\helloworld.h 1> ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krad
7 Replies

6. AIX

SCSI PCI - X RAID Controller card RAID 5 AIX Disks disappeared

Hello, I have a scsi pci x raid controller card on which I had created a disk array of 3 disks when I type lspv ; I used to see 3 physical disks ( two local disks and one raid 5 disk ) suddenly the raid 5 disk array disappeared ; so the hardware engineer thought the problem was with SCSI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

RAID Configuration for IBM Serveraid-7k SCSI RAID Controller

Hello, I want to delete a RAID configuration an old server has. Since i haven't the chance to work with the specific raid controller in the past can you please help me how to perform the configuraiton? I downloaded IBM ServeRAID Support CD but i wasn't able to configure the video card so i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
0 Replies

8. SCO

Backup/RAID of HD on Old UNIX Server

I need to be able to make a backup image of an OLD UNIX server HD where I can restore the complete HD from scratch if (when) the HD fails. This server runs the accounting system for a company. I can and have backed the data up via local FTP, but O/S and Apps are so old that I am not sure I could... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrishouse
21 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Mobile Friendly Version of UNIX.COM

Hello, I have noticed some problems with Google complaining our site is not "https://search.google.com/www.usearch-console/mobile-friendly" using only Tapatalk. So, after a lot of work, I have re-enabled our legacy mobile style and make some improvements and Google has declared us "mobile... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
PARTX(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  PARTX(8)

NAME
partx - tell the Linux kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions SYNOPSIS
partx [-a|-d|-s] [-t TYPE] [-n M:N] [-] disk partx [-a|-d|-s] [-t TYPE] partition [disk] DESCRIPTION
Given a device or disk-image, partx tries to parse the partition table and list its contents. It optionally adds or removes partitions. The disk argument is optional when a partition argument is provided. To force scanning a partition as if it were a whole disk (for example to list nested subpartitions), use the argument "-". For example: partx --show - /dev/sda3 This will see sda3 as a whole-disk rather than a partition. This is not an fdisk program -- adding and removing partitions does not change the disk, it just tells the kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions. OPTIONS
-a, --add Add the specified partitions, or read the disk and add all partitions. -b, --bytes Print the SIZE column in bytes rather than in human-readable format. -d, --delete Delete the specified partitions or all partitions. -g, --noheadings Do not print a header line. -l, --list List the partitions. Note that all numbers are in 512-byte sectors. This output format is DEPRECATED in favour of --show. Don't use it in newly written scripts. -o, --output list Define the output columns to use for --show and --raw output. If no output arrangement is specified, then a default set is used. Use --help to get list of all supported columns. -r, --raw Use the raw output format. -s, --show List the partitions. All numbers (except SIZE) are in 512-byte sectors. The output columns can be rearranged with the --output option. -t, --type type Specify the partition table type -- aix, bsd, dos, gpt, mac, minix, sgi, solaris_x86, sun, ultrix or unixware. -n, --nr M:N Specify the range of partitions. For backward compatibility also the format <M-N> is supported. The range may contain negative numbers, for example "--nr :-1" means the last partition, and "--nr -2:-1" means the last two partitions. Supported range specifi- cations are: <M> Specifies just one partition (e.g. --nr 3). <M:> Specifies lower limit only (e.g. --nr 2:). <:N> Specifies upper limit only (e.g. --nr :4). <M:N> or <M-N> Specifies lower and upper limits (e.g. --nr 2:4). EXAMPLES
partx --show /dev/sdb3 partx --show --nr 3 /dev/sdb partx --show /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb All three commands list partition 3 of /dev/sdb. partx --show - /dev/sdb3 Lists all subpartitions on /dev/sdb3 (the device is used as whole-disk). partx -o START -g --nr 3 /dev/sdb Prints the start sector of partition 5 on /dev/sda without header. partx -o SECTORS,SIZE /dev/sda5 /dev/sda Lists the length in sectors and human-readable size of partition 5 on /dev/sda. partx --add --nr 3:5 /dev/sdd Adds all available partitions from 3 to 5 (inclusive) on /dev/sdd. partx -d --nr :-1 /dev/sdd Removes the last partition on /dev/sdd. SEE ALSO
addpart(8), delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8) AUTHORS
Davidlohr Bueso <dave@gnu.org> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> The original version was written by Andries E. Brouwer <aeb@cwi.nl>. AVAILABILITY
The partx command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. 1 Feb 2011 PARTX(8)