Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Jumpstart with ZFS root install Post 302507367 by bluescreen on Wednesday 23rd of March 2011 04:18:59 PM
Old 03-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris040
I can ""guess"" of enabling the boot from option on the clients to look for network boot!
(pls do not try this on ur real time environment, unless you test it). Thanks.
I run "boot net" from the "ok" prompt. The client picks up the IP addr and hostname from the install server. It just never finishes the install with out prompting for info .....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Jumpstart: creating zfs filesystems

Is it possible to create zfs pools and filesystems using the profile file in jumpstart? edit to add: using Solaris 10 Release 11/06 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dangral
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Using JumpStart to Install LDoms1.1

I am trying to automate the LDoms installtion using the JumpStart server. In the "finish" script I have the following to do LDoms installtion: ROOT=/a JUMP=${ROOT}/jump mkdir ${JUMP} mount 172.25.135.11:/jumpstart ${JUMP} # Install LDoms 1.1 cp ${JUMP}/Packages/LDoms_Manager-1_1.zip... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
19 Replies

3. Solaris

jumpstart install clusters

Hello, I'm trying to jumpstart a machine with Solaris 10, however the disks in my machine are only 18GB, but I want to have all the developer packages but none of the X windows stuff that can be quite large. Wondered if it was possible to somehow get a list of all packages and remove the ones... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Actuator
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Jumpstart ZFS root issue

I 'm tryin to install a solaris server After all the system initialization & extraction of flash archive installation aborts with following error .. Does anyone know what could be the issue for the same ? Any help would be appreciated Extracted 2205.05 MB ( 99% of 2205.54 MB... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
6 Replies

5. Solaris

ZFS and jumpstart

I am building a new server on sol10_X86. I am new to ZFS, this will be one of the first systems to use it. I would like to have /opt /usr and a /u01 as separate file systems from the main ZFS pool. I know that this goes against the basic idea of ZFS, but this is so I can restrict the size/usage... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robsonde
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris jumpstart install server

I am attempting to install Solaris 10, on a SPARC platform, from a Solaris install server running under Oracle Virtual Box (x86 platform) solarisbox1 is server with IP 10.1.1.21 solarisbox2 is client with IP 10.1.1.60 Snoop gives me the following .. solarisbox1 -> (broadcast) ARP C who is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robs2015
0 Replies

8. Solaris

How to install an JumpStart Server on Solaris 11.3?

Hey Guys, i'm trying to install and configure a jumpstart server on a solaris 11.3 x86 based system. I've already created the folders to install the server. I've tried to use the installation script as follow (i'm root on the system): ./setup_install_server /export/jumpstart Everything works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marcusg562
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Issue with jumpstart install

I've followed a few guides and have what appears to be a working jumpstart server. I can PXE boot a bare system, it gets an IP and launches the installer. However, it takes me to the screen: SunOS Release 5.10 Version generic-147148-26 64 bit Copyright (c) 1983, 2013, Oracle and/or its... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jnojr
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Flash Archive Jumpstart with multiple ZFS Pools

Hi, I'm trying to get a Flash Archive Jumpstart Running with ZFS Filesystem. For Testing I set up a VirtualBox VM with 2 Disks attached. On the first disk I have the ZFS root pool, on the second Disk I have some more ZFS Pools which I use for 2 additional Zones I've set up. Restoring works fine if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NoelzeN
1 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)