Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Which cut command is more efficient? Post 302507342 by Corona688 on Wednesday 23rd of March 2011 02:05:39 PM
Old 03-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
Here reading the file direcly in "cut" is fractionally quicker but has a greater impact on the system overall.
Does this system have multiple cores? That'd be the only way I could explain that -- one core runs 'cat' and reads the file while the other runs 'cut' to process it. This may mean using twice as much CPU power for a nearly unmeasurable CPU gain.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut command

how do you show just the used disk space. using the cut and df command?? or does anyone have any other suggestions on how to do it a better way? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookie22
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command

Hi, I want to cut from a particular position to a particular position and retain the rest. I tried this cut -c31-51 file1.txt > file2.txt But The characters from the position 31 to 51 were only present in file2.txt. Is there a way to reverse this i.e to retain the rest except from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with cut command

Gurus, I need help with the cut command : I have a file with garbage charaters at the beginning of each record; but these characters are not of the same length; First record has 3 garbage chars to be removed; rest have 2; If the length was consistent across all the records, I could have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tru_tell
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command

hi, i have a file abc,"an,ab",cde,efg abc,anab,cde,efg and need to cut the second field so the output should be abc,cde,efg and i have used cut -d',' -f1-1,3- but its giving me abc,ab",cde,efg abc,cde,efg (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ATWC
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining awk command to make it more efficient

VARIABLE="jhovan 5259 5241 0 20:11 ? 00:00:00 /proc/self/exe --type=gpu-process --channel=5182.0.1597089149 --supports-dual-gpus=false --gpu-driver-bug-workarounds=2,45,57 --disable-accelerated-video-decode --gpu-vendor-id=0x80ee --gpu-device-id=0xbeef --gpu-driver-vendor... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Efficient way to combine command

im currently running the following command to grab all arguments in front of a script, directly from the process table. # cat /tmp/allmyprocs ubuntu 9933 27793 0 03:29 pts/0 00:00:00 /bin/sh ./prying.sh ubuntu 9941 9933 0 03:29 pts/0 00:00:00 sh ubuntu 9952 9941 0 03:29... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
CUT-DIFF(1)							  Cutter's manual						       CUT-DIFF(1)

NAME
cut-diff - show difference between 2 files with color SYNOPSIS
cut-diff [option ...] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
cut-diff is a diff command that uses diff feature in Cutter. It shows difference with color. It's recommended that you use a normal diff(1) when you want to use with patch(1) or you don't need color. OPTIONS
--version cut-diff shows its own version and exits. -c [yes|true|no|false|auto], --color=[yes|true|no|false|auto] If 'yes' or 'true' is specified, cut-diff uses colorized output by escape sequence. If 'no' or 'false' is specified, cut-diff never use colorized output. If 'auto' or the option is omitted, cut-diff uses colorized output if available. The default is auto. -u, --unified cut-diff uses unified diff format. --context-lines=LINES Shows diff context around LINES. All lines are shown by default. When unified diff format is used, 3 lines are shown by default. --label=LABEL, -L=LABEL Uses LABEL as a header label. The first--label option value is used as file1's label and the second --label option value is used asfile2's label. Labels are the same as file names by default. EXIT STATUS
The exit status is 0 for success, non-0 otherwise. TODO: 0 for non-difference, 1 for difference and non-0 for errors. EXAMPLE
In the following example, cut-diff shows difference between file1 and file2: % cut-diff file1 file2 In the following example, cut-diff shows difference between file1 and file2 with unified diff format: % cut-diff -u file1 file2 SEE ALSO
diff(1) Cutter February 2011 CUT-DIFF(1)