Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to detect a file from inserted usb and puts into a Variable Post 302507223 by kato on Wednesday 23rd of March 2011 06:31:16 AM
Old 03-23-2011
Alas, I don't know exactly...

You need to add a udev rule for your USB device that will trigger a script when you plug in the device. Have a look around for how to do that. udev will recognise the different phones from the hardware model, so you should be able to get the mount point or trigger different scripts depending on the model.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't detect usb thumbdrive anymore

hey everyone! i have a Solaris 8 box with me, and i had been using my usb thrumbdrive on it all the time. one day, i was in a rush and i pulled out the thumbdrive without ejecting it or anything. and now i can't detect any thumbdrives at all. i had tried using another thumbdrive, but with no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feef
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix script to detect new file entry in directory

Hi All, I want to detect each new file coming / getting created in unix directory. When every new file came to directory, i have to get its details like its size , date and time stamp and store it into another file. Could any one please tell me , how i can achieve that? Thanks. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: james_1984
13 Replies

3. Programming

How to detect usb storage arrival and its mount path from C

Hi, I am a newbi to linux, i wana to write a program in C that can detect arrival of a usb flash memory. I want also to find the actual mount point of new inserted flash disk. can anyone help me? thanks a lot (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aghashahi
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Script to Detect and List USB Flash Drives

Hello. This is my first post to this forum. I've read many of the posts over the last two or three years and I've learned a lot. I'm creating a live Linux distribution using the Linux Live Scripts -- just as a hobby project -- and I'm wanting to create an automated way for a user to copy the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: godzillarama
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detect USB keyboard and other peripherals

Hi there, I have a Debian machine without any peripherals (no screen, no keyboard, etc.). I'd like to be able to detect and log when someone plugs a USB keyboard. Something like : 2009-07-04 12:21 warning: keyboard pluged! Is that possible? I see two ways : 1. Either actively react to the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script to detect webpages from file

Hi guys I'm very new to unix and I have to create an awk script that detects webpage addresses from a file/webpage and outputs how many times each webpage was detected.e.g. if my file was: (Note: The symbol " was added to stop them being created into links) "www.google.com"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ROFL
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script to detect webpages from file

Hi guys I'm very new to unix and I have to create an awk script that detects webpage addresses from a file/webpage and outputs how many times each webpage was detected.e.g. if my file was: www.google.com www.facebook.com www.google.com the output should be: www.google.com x2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROFL
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script puts;; I need just ;

Hello Folks, I must be blind that I cant figure out this perl script why I end up with ;; at the end of the line. I am not an expert by any means #!/usr/bin/perl use File::Find; open F,shift or die $!; my %ip=map/(\S+)\s+(\S+)/,<F>; close F; find sub{ if( -f ){ local... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script puts \r at the end of variable

I'm pretty new to bash scripts and I'm trying to work through some issues. Would appreciate any suggestions. I have a list of servers in a text file (I used the FQDN's), I assign the file name to a variable, I then use cat to read the list of file names and echo them to the screen. But when it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: westmoreland
2 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Detect active usb device used by app

I've searched a number of sites but thought I'd post it here. I'm want to a detect certain usb device (external camera) that is actively being used by an app on a mac. My search has led me through looking at the system events log to see if there is a ProductID indicator logged. The device is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dallas88
2 Replies
SYSTEMD.DEVICE(5)						  systemd.device						 SYSTEMD.DEVICE(5)

NAME
systemd.device - Device unit configuration SYNOPSIS
device.device DESCRIPTION
A unit configuration file whose name ends in ".device" encodes information about a device unit as exposed in the sysfs/udev(7) device tree. This unit type has no specific options. See systemd.unit(5) for the common options of all unit configuration files. The common configuration items are configured in the generic "[Unit]" and "[Install]" sections. A separate "[Device]" section does not exist, since no device-specific options may be configured. systemd will dynamically create device units for all kernel devices that are marked with the "systemd" udev tag (by default all block and network devices, and a few others). This may be used to define dependencies between devices and other units. To tag a udev device, use "TAG+="systemd"" in the udev rules file, see udev(7) for details. Device units are named after the /sys and /dev paths they control. Example: the device /dev/sda5 is exposed in systemd as dev-sda5.device. For details about the escaping logic used to convert a file system path to a unit name see systemd.unit(5). Device units will be reloaded by systemd whenever the corresponding device generates a "changed" event. Other units can use ReloadPropagatedFrom= to react to that event IMPLICIT DEPENDENCIES
Many unit types automatically acquire dependencies on device units of devices they require. For example, .socket unit acquire dependencies on the device units of the network interface specified in BindToDevice=. Similar, swap and mount units acquire dependencies on the units encapsulating their backing block devices. DEFAULT DEPENDENCIES
There are no default dependencies for device units. THE UDEV DATABASE
Unit settings of device units may either be configured via unit files, or directly from the udev database. The following udev device properties are understood by the service manager: SYSTEMD_WANTS=, SYSTEMD_USER_WANTS= Adds dependencies of type Wants= from the device unit to the specified units. SYSTEMD_WANTS= is read by the system service manager, SYSTEMD_USER_WANTS= by user service manager instances. These properties may be used to activate arbitrary units when a specific device becomes available. Note that this and the other udev device properties are not taken into account unless the device is tagged with the "systemd" tag in the udev database, because otherwise the device is not exposed as a systemd unit (see above). Note that systemd will only act on Wants= dependencies when a device first becomes active. It will not act on them if they are added to devices that are already active. Use SYSTEMD_READY= (see below) to configure when a udev device shall be considered active, and thus when to trigger the dependencies. The specified property value should be a space-separated list of valid unit names. If a unit template name is specified (that is, a unit name containing an "@" character indicating a unit name to use for multiple instantiation, but with an empty instance name following the "@"), it will be automatically instantiated by the device's "sysfs" path (that is: the path is escaped and inserted as instance name into the template unit name). This is useful in order to instantiate a specific template unit once for each device that appears and matches specific properties. SYSTEMD_ALIAS= Adds an additional alias name to the device unit. This must be an absolute path that is automatically transformed into a unit name. (See above.) SYSTEMD_READY= If set to 0, systemd will consider this device unplugged even if it shows up in the udev tree. If this property is unset or set to 1, the device will be considered plugged if it is visible in the udev tree. This option is useful for devices that initially show up in an uninitialized state in the tree, and for which a "changed" event is generated the moment they are fully set up. Note that SYSTEMD_WANTS= (see above) is not acted on as long as SYSTEMD_READY=0 is set for a device. ID_MODEL_FROM_DATABASE=, ID_MODEL= If set, this property is used as description string for the device unit. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), systemd.unit(5), udev(7), systemd.directives(7) systemd 237 SYSTEMD.DEVICE(5)