Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux commands of linux operation system Post 302507188 by GODBLESSME on Wednesday 23rd of March 2011 03:24:54 AM
Old 03-23-2011
well actually am using red hat at school but anytime am logging in it ask me of my login name and password..i have been able to change the password but i cant change the login name which is root...i tried useradd but did not work any suggestion?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Multi operation system in one pc.

Does anyone can write a thread to teach me how to install Windows 2000, RH Linux, and FreeBSD unix in one machine step by step? Or someone's already done with this topic? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
1 Replies

2. AIX

commands to get system specs

Hi, I want to find some information regarding system specs such as CPU speed, total disk space, total RAM, network topology eg. ethernet, patch number, OS patches, database. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DarReNz
2 Replies

3. Ubuntu

where can i get the unix operation system?

I am a stranger here ,where can i get the operation for free.thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tcb3210
2 Replies

4. Solaris

rsh commands not getting executed from Solaris 10 System to AIX System

Hi Friends, I am trying to execute rsh commands from Solaris 10 system to AIX system. When I give; Solaris10# rsh <hostname> ls -l , it gives me an error rshd : 0826-826 The host name for your address is not known At the same time, Solaris10# rsh <hostname> ---- gives me remote shell of... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
25 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: combine Backtick & system() I/O operation?

Hi - Within perl I want to execute a system command. I want to re-direct all the output from the command to a file (@result = `$cmd`;), but I ALSO want the results to be displayed on the screen (system("$cmd"); The reason is this - if the command completes, I want to process the output. If the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffw_00
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column operation : cosne and sine operation

I have a txt file with several columns and i want to peform an operation on two columns and output it to a new txt file . file.txt 900.00000 1 1 1 500.00000 500.00000 100000.000 4 4 1.45257346E-07 899.10834 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system calls and atomic operation

Are system calls atomic operations? Is a system call can be interrupted? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
2 Replies

8. AIX

Monitoring AIX with System Center Operation Manager 2007 R2

I can get my AIX servers to show up in SCOM but I'm struggling with running personal scripts and have the result of these scripts show up in SCOM. I'm currently using BigBrother and I've written some scripts for BB. I would like to convert these scripts to something that can be used in SCOM. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use functions as a system commands?

I have few functions which do some things which i have programmed to do. I want them to use that functions anytime i want. Right now if i need to use that function i have to copied that to putty and then call that function. Is it possible to do that so that i don't need to call that function. And i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pamu
3 Replies
d_passwd(4)							   File Formats 						       d_passwd(4)

NAME
d_passwd - dial-up password file SYNOPSIS
/etc/d_passwd DESCRIPTION
A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct pass- word must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. d_passwd is an ASCII file which contains a list of executable programs (typically shells) that require a dial-up password and the associ- ated encrypted passwords. When a user attempts to log in on any of the ports listed in the dialups file (see dialups(4)), the login program looks at the user's login entry stored in the passwd file (see passwd(4)), and compares the login shell field to the entries in d_passwd. These entries determine whether the user will be required to supply a dial-up password. Each entry in d_passwd is a single line of the form: login-shell:password: where login-shell The name of the login program that will require an additional dial-up password. password An encrypted password. Users accessing the computer through a dial-up port or modem using login-shell will be required to enter this password before gaining access to the computer. d_passwd should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. If the user's login program in the passwd file is not found in d_passwd or if the login shell field in passwd is empty, the user must sup- ply the default password. The default password is the entry for /usr/bin/sh. If d_passwd has no entry for /usr/bin/sh, then those users whose login shell field in passwd is empty or does not match any entry in d_passwd will not be prompted for a dial-up password. Dial-up logins are disabled if d_passwd has only the following entry: /usr/bin/sh:*: EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample d_passwd file. Here is a sample d_passwd file: /usr/lib/uucp/uucico:q.mJzTnu8icF0: /usr/bin/csh:6k/7KCFRPNVXg: /usr/bin/ksh:9df/FDf.4jkRt: /usr/bin/sh:41FuGVzGcDJlw: Generating An Encrypted Password The passwd (see passwd(1)) utility can be used to generate the encrypted password for each login program. passwd generates encrypted pass- words for users and places the password in the shadow (see shadow(4)) file. Passwords for the d_passwd file will need to be generated by first adding a temporary user id using useradd (see useradd(1M)), and then using passwd(1) to generate the desired password in the shadow file. Once the encrypted version of the password has been created, it can be copied to the d_passwd file. For example: 1. Type useradd tempuser and press Return. This creates a user named tempuser. 2. Type passwd tempuser and press Return. This creates an encrypted password for tempuser and places it in the shadow file. 3. Find the entry for tempuser in the shadow file and copy the encrypted password to the desired entry in the d_passwd file. 4. Type userdel tempuser and press Return to delete tempuser. These steps must be executed as the root user. FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords /etc/passwd password file /etc/shadow shadow password file SEE ALSO
passwd(1), useradd(1M), dialups(4), passwd(4), shadow(4) WARNINGS
When creating a new dial-up password, be sure to remain logged in on at least one terminal while testing the new password. This ensures that there is an available terminal from which you can correct any mistakes that were made when the new password was added. SunOS 5.10 2 Sep 2004 d_passwd(4)