Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Checking arguments
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking arguments Post 302507088 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 22nd of March 2011 05:56:09 PM
Old 03-22-2011
Problem is you may have already done some processing before an invalid tag is discovered. If the script then bombs out with an invalid arguments error some work has already been done. This different to how every other unix command operates, and is quite dangerous.

As DGPickett implied, try to validate all the arguments first and then do the processing. Consider using getopt to simplify the argument parsing.

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 03-22-2011 at 07:08 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[: too many arguments

hi I am getting too many arguments error for the below line if ; then Thx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vls1210
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Too many arguments

echo "the number from 1 to 10:" i=1 while do echo $i i=`expr $i+1' done above is the program i written in Linux O.S using vi editor but i am getting the error that while: line 3: i am not understanding that why i am getting this error. can any body please help me regarding this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsatishbabu
3 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

checking for number of arguments.

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Your script must check for the correct number of arguments (one argument). If somebody tries to invoke the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brooksie91
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with two arguments to arguments to surch for

Hello, is it possible to give grep two documents to surche for? like grep "test" /home/one.txt AND /home/two.txt ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cybertron
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to take arguments?

Hey everybody. How do you write a program that will produce output based on its arguments? For example, how would you write one that will add 1 to an integer argument so it would look like this: $add 1 78 79 $ I only know how to write programs to take user input with the read function,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclepickle1
2 Replies

6. SCO

Stop boot system at "Checking protected password and checking subsystem databases"

Hi, (i'm sorry for my english) I'm a problem on boot sco unix 5.0.5 open server. this stop at "Checking protected password and checking subsystem databases" (See this image ) I'm try this: 1) http://www.digipedia.pl/usenet/thread/50/37093/#post37094 2) SCO: SCO Unix - Server hangs... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: buji
9 Replies

7. Programming

Checking which arguments are supplied

I have written this C++ program and I am using getopt_long and (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

8. Programming

I have written this C++ program and I am using getopt_long (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. Programming

I have written this C++ program and I am using getopt_long and want to chech when the user supplies the arguments so that I can put a default or otherwise. Currently I am using hasargv or Pc.get_string("key",s), Pc.get_real("key",s), etc to detect whether the user supplied a value. For... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Too many arguments

because it gives me this error if? while read linea do #echo "Archivos Entrada: $linea" largo=`awk '{print length($linea)}'` echo "largo : $largo " if ; then #Here's the problem, I take this line and it works echo "a es igual a 1" fi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
3 Replies
GETOPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 GETOPT(1)

NAME
getopt -- parse command options SYNOPSIS
args=`getopt optstring $*` ; errcode=$?; set -- $args DESCRIPTION
The getopt utility is used to break up options in command lines for easy parsing by shell procedures, and to check for legal options. Optstring is a string of recognized option letters (see getopt(3)); if a letter is followed by a colon, the option is expected to have an argument which may or may not be separated from it by white space. The special option '--' is used to delimit the end of the options. The getopt utility will place '--' in the arguments at the end of the options, or recognize it if used explicitly. The shell arguments ($1 $2 ...) are reset so that each option is preceded by a '-' and in its own shell argument; each option argument is also in its own shell argu- ment. EXIT STATUS
The getopt utility prints an error message on the standard error output and exits with status > 0 when it encounters an option letter not included in optstring. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment shows how one might process the arguments for a command that can take the options -a and -b, and the option -o, which requires an argument. args=`getopt abo: $*` # you should not use `getopt abo: "$@"` since that would parse # the arguments differently from what the set command below does. if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then echo 'Usage: ...' exit 2 fi set -- $args # You cannot use the set command with a backquoted getopt directly, # since the exit code from getopt would be shadowed by those of set, # which is zero by definition. while true; do case "$1" in -a|-b) echo "flag $1 set"; sflags="${1#-}$sflags" shift ;; -o) echo "oarg is '$2'"; oarg="$2" shift; shift ;; --) shift; break ;; esac done echo "single-char flags: '$sflags'" echo "oarg is '$oarg'" This code will accept any of the following as equivalent: cmd -aoarg file file cmd -a -o arg file file cmd -oarg -a file file cmd -a -oarg -- file file SEE ALSO
getopts(1), sh(1), getopt(3) HISTORY
Written by Henry Spencer, working from a Bell Labs manual page. Behavior believed identical to the Bell version. Example changed in FreeBSD version 3.2 and 4.0. BUGS
Whatever getopt(3) has. Arguments containing white space or embedded shell metacharacters generally will not survive intact; this looks easy to fix but is not. Peo- ple trying to fix getopt or the example in this manpage should check the history of this file in FreeBSD. The error message for an invalid option is identified as coming from getopt rather than from the shell procedure containing the invocation of getopt; this again is hard to fix. The precise best way to use the set command to set the arguments without disrupting the value(s) of shell options varies from one shell ver- sion to another. Each shellscript has to carry complex code to parse arguments halfway correctly (like the example presented here). A better getopt-like tool would move much of the complexity into the tool and keep the client shell scripts simpler. BSD
January 26, 2011 BSD