Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Help finding a Unix friendly RAID 1 backup Post 302507053 by c.wakeman on Tuesday 22nd of March 2011 04:01:51 PM
Old 03-22-2011
Thanks again for your help so far Corona688.

An update so far:
I used the uname command, we're running Linux.

The decision was made to purchase a cheaper 1 TB external hard drive as a stop-gap measure to make sure the data is backed up before moving ahead with setting up an automatic backup to a dedicated raid 1 array. We purchased a Buffalo Linkstation Live LS-CHL.

The drive can be formatted to to FAT, NTFS, XFS, and HFS+. The server I want to backup is an NTFS file system. I believe the drive comes XFS standard. Should I format the drive to NTFS for compatibility? or is that a non-issue.

The user manual for the drive states the disadvantages of NTFS as:
1) Read-only from the LinkStation or a Mac.
2) Not suitable for backup from the LinkStation.

The relevant disadvantage of XFS is:
You cannot read data by directly connecting to a PC.

Once that is determined, what are the steps I need to take to make a backup .tar of the server files based upon the code you provided earlier?
Quote:
Code:
# On UNIX
tar -cpf - /path/to/files/i/want/to/backup | udp-sender
# On Windows
udp-receiver > file.tar

Does the Unix command simply go in the command line with root access? I assume I change the /path/to/files/i/want/to/backup to the path relevant to my server? What if I simply want to copy all the files on the drive? Do I designate the name of the backup file to be sent before the udp-sender or is built in to be named when received?

On the Windows end, where is that command entered? The command prompt? Can I name the file to be anything I like (probably something along the lines of backupmmddyy.tar or are there restrictions?

Sorry for, what I am sure, are elementary, if not asinine, questions; I really appreciate the responses.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID Unix command

Is there a command used to determine whether or not a machine has been RAIDed besides using 'df -k'. I am interested b/c I am writing a script where I would like to receive some sort of notification as to whether or not a machine has been RAIDed. The simpler the info returned back, the better. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zuinc
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Sco 5.0.7 Raid Problems

Hello there guys , I have this problem , i have this hp smart array 641 raid card and i'm trying to install sco unix 5.0.7 and is says no root disk found right before the instalation is about to start. I know that you have to load the driver befor the install bud i really cannot find the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

RAID 0 on Unix

I was wanting to know if anyone knew how to setup RAID 0 on an old HP Unix server. It's for where I work and my boss has two hard drives and wants the second to take over if the first one fails hence RAID 0. If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zmachine04
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

User friendly Unix ksh prompt to type directories/files

Hello, I wanted to setup user friendly ksh command prompt, by typing first character of files or directories and then tab bring up whole word. No need to type whole file/directory/command names. Example: cat a file like university just typing un and then tab bring up whole university wod.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdurrouf
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting MSVC /showInclude to unix friendly path

Hi guys, I've been trying to do this for hours, and I've just been running around in circles trying to get this script made. I have a set of files outputted by an MSVC compiler that looks like this 1> helloworld.cpp 1> Note: including file: c:\dev\test\makefile\source\helloworld.h 1> ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krad
7 Replies

6. AIX

SCSI PCI - X RAID Controller card RAID 5 AIX Disks disappeared

Hello, I have a scsi pci x raid controller card on which I had created a disk array of 3 disks when I type lspv ; I used to see 3 physical disks ( two local disks and one raid 5 disk ) suddenly the raid 5 disk array disappeared ; so the hardware engineer thought the problem was with SCSI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

RAID Configuration for IBM Serveraid-7k SCSI RAID Controller

Hello, I want to delete a RAID configuration an old server has. Since i haven't the chance to work with the specific raid controller in the past can you please help me how to perform the configuraiton? I downloaded IBM ServeRAID Support CD but i wasn't able to configure the video card so i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
0 Replies

8. SCO

Backup/RAID of HD on Old UNIX Server

I need to be able to make a backup image of an OLD UNIX server HD where I can restore the complete HD from scratch if (when) the HD fails. This server runs the accounting system for a company. I can and have backed the data up via local FTP, but O/S and Apps are so old that I am not sure I could... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrishouse
21 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Mobile Friendly Version of UNIX.COM

Hello, I have noticed some problems with Google complaining our site is not "https://search.google.com/www.usearch-console/mobile-friendly" using only Tapatalk. So, after a lot of work, I have re-enabled our legacy mobile style and make some improvements and Google has declared us "mobile... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
BACKUP_STATUS(8)					       AFS Command Reference						  BACKUP_STATUS(8)

NAME
       backup_status - Reports a Tape Coordinator's status

SYNOPSIS
       backup status [-portoffset <TC port offset>]
	   [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help]

backup st [-p <TC port offset>]
	   [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h]

DESCRIPTION
       The backup status command displays which operation, if any, the indicated Tape Coordinator is currently executing.

OPTIONS
       -portoffset <TC port offset>
	   Specifies the port offset number of the Tape Coordinator for which to report the status.

-localauth
	   Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to
	   the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more
	   details, see backup(8).

-cell <cell name>
	   Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8).

-help
	   Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored.

OUTPUT
       The following message indicates that the Tape Coordinator is not currently performing an operation:

Tape coordinator is idle

Otherwise, the output includes a message of the following format for each running or pending operation:

Task <task_ID>:  <operation>:   <status>

where

<task_ID>
	   Is a task identification number assigned by the Tape Coordinator.  It begins with the Tape Coordinator's port offset number.

<operation>
	   Identifies the operation the Tape Coordinator is performing, which is initiated by the indicated command:

Dump
	       The backup dump command.

Restore
	       The backup diskrestore, backup volrestore, or backup volsetrestore commands.

Labeltape
	       The backup labeltape command.

Scantape
	       The backup scantape command.

SaveDb
	       The backup savedb command.

RestoreDb
	       The backup restoredb command.

<status>
	   Indicates the job's current status in one of the following messages.

number Kbytes transferred, volume volume_name
	       For a running dump operation, indicates the number of kilobytes copied to tape or a backup data file so far, and the volume
	       currently being dumped.

number Kbytes, restore.volume
	       For a running restore operation, indicates the number of kilobytes copied into AFS from a tape or a backup data file so far.

[abort requested]
	       The backup kill command was issued, but the termination signal has yet to reach the Tape Coordinator.

[abort sent]
	       The operation is canceled by the backup kill command.  Once the Backup System removes an operation from the queue or stops it from
	       running, it no longer appears at all in the output from the command.

[butc contact lost]
	       The backup command interpreter cannot reach the Tape Coordinator. The message can mean either that the Tape Coordinator handling
	       the operation was terminated or failed while the operation was running, or that the connection to the Tape Coordinator timed out.

[done]
	       The Tape Coordinator has finished the operation.

[drive wait]
	       The operation is waiting for the specified tape drive to become free.

[operator wait]
	       The Tape Coordinator is waiting for the backup operator to insert a tape in the drive.

If the Tape Coordinator is communicating with an XBSA server (a third-party backup utility that implements the Open Group's Backup Service
       API [XBSA]), the following message appears last in the output:

<XBSA_program> Tape coordinator

where <XBSA_program> is the name of the XBSA-compliant program.

EXAMPLES
       The following example shows that the Tape Coordinator with port offset 4 has so far dumped about 1.5 MB of data for the current dump
       operation, and is currently dumping the volume named "user.pat.backup":

% backup status -portoffset 4
	  Task 4001:  Dump:   1520 Kbytes transferred,	volume user.pat.backup

PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
       The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged
       onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included.

SEE ALSO
       backup(8), butc(8)

COPYRIGHT
       IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.

This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0.  It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas
       Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.

OpenAFS 							    2012-03-26							  BACKUP_STATUS(8)