Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to use case and command line arguments in shell script? Post 302507034 by swap21783 on Tuesday 22nd of March 2011 03:33:09 PM
Old 03-22-2011
hi...
i am getting the below error after trying with what you suggested...
Code:
new9[171]: getopts: 0403-010 A specified flag is not valid for this command.

also please let me know what does 'abc' in 'while getopts abc opt' means...
what if i have options such as 'n1', 'n2', 'n3'?? would the while loop become 'while getopts n1n2n3 opt'??

please note my options are not exactly a, b, c... i just gave them as an example...
my correct options are bl, bc, mm....

Last edited by Scott; 03-23-2011 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script: piping passes command-line arguments

Dear forum I have the following small script: #!/bin/ksh echo -e "abba-o" | awk -F '-' '{ print $2 }' | cut -b 1It needs to be ksh.. in bash I don't have this problem. If I run this on opensuse 10.2 I get this as output: e If I run this on suse enterprise 10 sp2 then I get this: o ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gemtry
1 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

I need to make a script that has 4 command line arguments to function properly.

I have no idea what the following means. The teacher is too advanced for me to understand fully. We literally went from running a few commands over the last few months to starting shell scripting. I am not a programmer, I am more hardware oriented. I wish I knew what this question was asking... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wookard
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell Script that only takes command line arguments

Does anybody know how to Accept a “userid” as a command line argument on a Unix Bourne Shell Script? The output should be something like this: User userid has a home directory of /path/directory the default shell for this user is /path/shell (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaira
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does anybody know how to Accept a “userid” as a command line argument on a Unix Bourne Shell Script? The output should be something like this: User userid has a home directory of /path/directory the default shell for this user is /path/shell (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does anybody know how to Accept a “userid” as a command line argument on a Unix Bourne Shell Script? The output should be something like this: User userid has a home directory of /path/directory the default shell for this user is /path/shell (5 Replies)
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script command line arguments

Hello All, i am known to the limitation of different shells while passing more than 9 command line arguments i just tried the example below i do see my current shell is tcsh echo $SHELL /bin/tcsh so if i make my script executable and run it output is ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepak Dutt
6 Replies

7. Programming

How to pass the command line arguments to the shell script in c language?

hi, I am new in the shell script, and c programming with linux. I am looking to pass the arguments in c program that should be executed by the shell script. e.g. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { int i; for (i=1;i<argc; i++) { ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharlin
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to iterate all command line arguments

Hi guys, I am having trouble with this script. What i want it to do is to iterate all command line arguments in reverse order. The code below does this fine but i need the output to print the words on separate lines instead of one line: #!/bin/bash #Takes in the arguments and displays them... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pipeline2012
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Command Line Arguments In C shell script

]I have a string like "/abc/cmind/def/pq/IC.2.4.6_main.64b/lnx86" and this string is given by user. But in this string instead of 64b user may passed 32 b an i need to parse this string and check wether its is 32b or 64 b and according to it i want to set appropriate flags. How will i do this... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: codecatcher
11 Replies

10. Programming

Passing arguments from command line to switch case statement in C

Hi Am pretty new to C.. Am trying to pass the arguments from command line and use them in switch case statement.. i have tried the following #include <stdlib.h> main(int argc, char* argv) { int num=0; if ( argc == 2 ) num = argv; printf("%d is the num value",num); switch ( num ) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)