Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to remove characters enclosed in single quotes? Post 302506947 by rdhanek on Tuesday 22nd of March 2011 10:45:46 AM
Old 03-22-2011
How to remove characters enclosed in single quotes?

How to remove characters enclosed in single quotes?

My data is something like this

Code:
(03/22/2011 08:17:26.650)    :  ( -> '1'  -> '1-1-3'  -> '6'  -> '1'  -> 'SALMOR58BB4' aaaaa bbbbbb ccccc ((dddd))

I want the output to be
Code:
(03/22/2011 08:17:26.650)    :  ( ->   -> ->  ->  -> aaaaa bbbbbb ccccc ((dddd))

And it will be great if i can remove -> as well.
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double quotes or single quotes when using ssh?

I'm not very familiar with the ssh command. When I tried to set a variable and then echo its value on a remote machine via ssh, I found a problem. For example, $ ITSME=itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx "ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME" itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx 'ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME' itsyou $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a character which is enclosed in Double quotes

I want to remove the comma which is present within the double quoted string. All other commas which is present outside double quotes should be present. Input : a,b,"cc,dd,ee",f,ii,"jj,kk",mmm output : a,b,"ccddee",f,ii,"jjkk",mmm (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan_tuty
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep single quotes or double quotes

Unix superusers, I am new to unix but would like to learn more about grep. I am very familiar with regular expressions as i have used them for searching text files in windows based text editors. Since I am not very familiar with Unix, I dont understand when one should use GREP with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: george_vandelet
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find text enclosed between special characters

Hi, I'm trying to find all DISTINCT words having _mr in the line and ENCLOSED in '/'. For eg below is the text in a file.. /database/new_mr254/1 /database/rawdb/views/new_mr254/1 /database/project/rawdb/tables/new_mr232/1 /database/project/rawdb/views/new_mr253/1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: northwest
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace single quote with two single quotes in perl

Hi I want to replace single quote with two single quotes in a perl string. If the string is <It's Simpson's book> It should become <It''s Simpson''s book> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DushyantG
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Having a terrible problem with quotes/single quotes!

Hello. I'm trying to write a bash script that uses GNU screen and have hit a brick wall that has cost me many hours... (I'm sure it has something to do with quoting/globbing, which is why I post it here) I can make a script that does the following just fine: test.sh: #!/bin/bash # make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jondecker76
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Single Quotes and Double Quotes for prompt PS1

Hi, Trying to change the prompt. I have the following code. export PS1=' <${USER}@`hostname -s`>$ ' The hostname is not displayed <abc@`hostname -s`>$ uname -a AIX xyz 1 6 00F736154C00 <adcwl4h@`hostname -s`>$ If I use double quotes, then the hostname is printed properly but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete the commas in a .CSV file that are enclosed in a string with double quotes?

Okay, I would like to delete all the commas in a .CSV file (TEST.CSV) or at least substitute them with empty space, that are enclosed in double quote. Please see the sample file as below: column 1,column 2,column 3,column 4,column 5,column 6,column 7,column 8,column 9,column 10... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove pipe(|) symbol ina file, except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes

I have file with are delimited by pipe(|) symbol, I wanted those to be removed except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes. If your quote file is: |Life is |Beautiful"|"Indeed life |is beautiful too|"|"But unix is fun| is not"|" It should return: Life is Beautiful"|"Indeed life is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sathyapts
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove pipe(|) symbol in except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes

I have file with are delimited by pipe(|) symbol, I wanted those to be removed except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes. If your quote file is: |Life is |Beautiful"|"Indeed life |is beautiful too|"|"But unix is fun| is not"|" It should return: Life is Beautiful"|"Indeed life is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sathyapts
9 Replies
INNCONFVAL(1)						    InterNetNews Documentation						     INNCONFVAL(1)

NAME
innconfval - Get configuration parameters from inn.conf SYNOPSIS
innconfval [-pstv] [-i file] [parameter ...] innconfval -C [-i file] DESCRIPTION
innconfval normally prints the values of the parameters specified on the command line. By default, it just prints the parameter values, but if -p, -s, or -t are given, it instead prints the parameter and value in the form of a variable assignment in Perl, Bourne shell, or Tcl respectively. If no parameters are specifically requested, innconfval prints out all parameter values (this isn't particularly useful unless one of -p, -s, or -t were specified). All parameters are taken from inn.conf except for version, which is always the version string of INN. If given the -C option, innconfval instead checks inn.conf, reporting any problems found to standard error. innconfval will exit with status 0 if no problems are found and with status 1 otherwise. OPTIONS
-C Check inn.conf rather than printing out the values of parameters. -i file Use file as the source configuration file rather than inn.conf. file must be a valid inn.conf file and will be parsed the same as inn.conf would be. -p Print out parameters as Perl assignment statements. The variable name will be the same as the inn.conf parameter, and string values will be enclosed in single quotes with appropriate escaping. Boolean values will be mapped to the strings "true" or "false". List values will be mapped to an array of strings. NULL values are not printed out and will therefore be "undef" in Perl. Here is an example: $enableoverview = 'true'; @extraoverviewadvertised = ( 'Newsgroups', 'Injection-Info' ); $organization = 'Let's try nasty "quotes"'; $maxforks = 10; If innconfval is called via the Perl "INN::Config" module, all these variables are properly exported. -s Print out parameters as Bourne shell assignment statements. The variable name will be the inn.conf parameter name in all capitals, and all variables will be exported, if not NULL. String values will be enclosed in single quotes with appropriate escaping, and boolean values will be mapped to "true" or "false". List values will be mapped to a space-separated string representing an array of strings (as Bourne shell does not recognize arrays, contrary to several other shells, an array cannot be returned for interoperability reasons). Here is an example: ENABLEOVERVIEW=true; export ENABLEOVERVIEW; EXTRAOVERVIEWADVERTISED='"Newsgroups" "Injection-Info"'; export EXTRAOVERVIEWADVERTISED; ORGANIZATION='Let'''s try nasty "quotes"'; export ORGANIZATION; MAXFORKS=10; export MAXFORKS; -t Print out parameters as Tcl assignment statements. The variable name will be the same as the inn.conf parameter name but with "inn_" prepended, and string variables will be escaped appropriately. Boolean values will be mapped to the strings "true" or "false". List values will be mapped to an array of strings. NULL values are not printed out. Here is an example: set inn_enableoverview "true" set inn_extraoverviewadvertised { "Newsgroups" "Injection-Info" } set inn_organization "Let's try nasty "quotes"" set inn_maxforks 10 -v Print INN's version. This is equivalent to "innconfval version". HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. $Id: innconfval.pod 8919 2010-01-22 23:29:28Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
inn.conf(5), INN::Config(3pm). INN 2.5.2 2010-02-08 INNCONFVAL(1)