Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Function Returning Pointer
Top Forums Programming Function Returning Pointer Post 302506855 by disaster on Tuesday 22nd of March 2011 06:27:07 AM
Old 03-22-2011
No, they simply use malloc inside the function.
Just a quick example of how it could work (REALLY JUST AN EXAMPLE)

Code:
typedef struct {
    int fd;
    int mode;
     /* a lot of variables to describe the filestream */
}FILE;

FILE *fopen(char *path, char *mode) {
    FILE *ret;
    ret = (FILE *) malloc(sizeof(FILE));
    /* do some processing */
    return ret;
}

Accordingly I assume that fclose() will then make a free() call to free the memory

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Problem with function which reutrns pointer to a value

i have a function: char *pcCityIdToCountryName(ADMIN_DB_DATA *pstHEader, unit uiCityID) this returns a pointer to CountryName if cityId is given. to retrieve countryname i give: char *CountryName; CountryName = pcCityIdToCountryName(..................); but when i compile it is giving :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
5 Replies

2. Programming

string returning function

I have two string returning function in ESQL/C char *segment_name(lbuffer) char *lbuffer; {..... and char *get_bpdvalue(f_name) char *f_name; {...... both declared above main() char *get_bpdvalue(); char *segment_name(); my problem is segment_name works on sprintf and strcpy... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisc
5 Replies

3. Programming

How to return void function pointer

Hello all im trying to build function that will return void function pointer what is mean is ( not working ) the main function void * myClass::getFunction(int type){ if(type==1) return &myClass::Test1; if(type==2) return &myClass::Test2; } void myClass::Test1(){... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

returning from a function

Hi all, I am very new to BASH shell programming. I need to return an integer from a function to the caller function. I did this: but it keeps giving me wrong return: Can someone help me out here, please? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning the name of function used

Hi All In my script, I can call on several functions. I have a logging function that is called by any of these functions. What I would like is some way of identifying which function I am using and pass this to the log function as some parameter. Is there some built in command or way of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpin2502
3 Replies

6. Programming

Function pointer to inline function ?

Hi. Problem: I have to parse the payload of a packet. The payload could be in Big Endian Format (network byte order) or little. That depends on a flag present in the header of the packet. Solution: A horrible solution could be to check for that flag everytime I have to read a field in the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: emitrax
11 Replies

7. Programming

structure pointer array as function parameters

if i create an array of pointers to a structure "struct node" as: struct node *r; and create "n" number of "linked lists" and assign it to the various struct pointers r using some function with a return type as structure pointer as: r=multiplty(.......) /*some parameters*/ is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mscoder
2 Replies

8. Programming

Trivial doubt about C function pointer

Hi, In the below C code, #include <stdio.h> void print() { printf("Hello\n"); } int main() { void (*f)() = (void (*)()) print; f(); (*f)(); } I wonder, how the syntaxes "f()" and "(*f)()" are treated as same without any error? Is this an improvement or ANSI/ISO... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

9. Programming

Pure C function pointer on printing vowels twice

Have difficulty to understand this pure C code to only print vowels twice from input string. Questions are commented at the end of each place. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <assert.h> #include <limits.h> /* *Demonstrate the use of dispatch tables */ /*Print a char... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
11 Replies

10. Programming

Segmentation fault when I pass a char pointer to a function in C.

I am passing a char* to the function "reverse" and when I execute it with gdb I get: Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault. 0x000000000040083b in reverse (s=0x400b2b "hello") at pointersExample.c:72 72 *q = *p; Attached is the source code. I do not understand why... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jose_spain
9 Replies
krb5_keytab_intro(3)					      HeimdalKerberos5library					      krb5_keytab_intro(3)

NAME
krb5_keytab_intro - The keytab handing functions Kerberos Keytabs See the library functions here: Heimdal Kerberos 5 keytab handling functions Keytabs are long term key storage for servers, their equvalment of password files. Normally the only function that useful for server are to specify what keytab to use to other core functions like krb5_rd_req() krb5_kt_resolve(), and krb5_kt_close(). Keytab names A keytab name is on the form type:residual. The residual part is specific to each keytab-type. When a keytab-name is resolved, the type is matched with an internal list of keytab types. If there is no matching keytab type, the default keytab is used. The current default type is FILE. The default value can be changed in the configuration file /etc/krb5.conf by setting the variable [defaults]default_keytab_name. The keytab types that are implemented in Heimdal are: o file store the keytab in a file, the type's name is FILE . The residual part is a filename. For compatibility with other Kerberos implemtation WRFILE and JAVA14 is also accepted. WRFILE has the same format as FILE. JAVA14 have a format that is compatible with older versions of MIT kerberos and SUN's Java based installation. They store a truncted kvno, so when the knvo excess 255, they are truncted in this format. o keytab store the keytab in a AFS keyfile (usually /usr/afs/etc/KeyFile ), the type's name is AFSKEYFILE. The residual part is a filename. o memory The keytab is stored in a memory segment. This allows sensitive and/or temporary data not to be stored on disk. The type's name is MEMORY. Each MEMORY keytab is referenced counted by and opened by the residual name, so two handles can point to the same memory area. When the last user closes using krb5_kt_close() the keytab, the keys in they keytab is memset() to zero and freed and can no longer be looked up by name. Keytab example This is a minimalistic version of ktutil. int main (int argc, char **argv) { krb5_context context; krb5_keytab keytab; krb5_kt_cursor cursor; krb5_keytab_entry entry; krb5_error_code ret; char *principal; if (krb5_init_context (&context) != 0) errx(1, 'krb5_context'); ret = krb5_kt_default (context, &keytab); if (ret) krb5_err(context, 1, ret, 'krb5_kt_default'); ret = krb5_kt_start_seq_get(context, keytab, &cursor); if (ret) krb5_err(context, 1, ret, 'krb5_kt_start_seq_get'); while((ret = krb5_kt_next_entry(context, keytab, &entry, &cursor)) == 0){ krb5_unparse_name(context, entry.principal, &principal); printf('principal: %s0, principal); free(principal); krb5_kt_free_entry(context, &entry); } ret = krb5_kt_end_seq_get(context, keytab, &cursor); if (ret) krb5_err(context, 1, ret, 'krb5_kt_end_seq_get'); ret = krb5_kt_close(context, keytab); if (ret) krb5_err(context, 1, ret, 'krb5_kt_close'); krb5_free_context(context); return 0; } Version 1.5.2 11 Jan 2012 krb5_keytab_intro(3)