Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming I am a little bit confused in a socket example through select() Post 302506848 by disaster on Tuesday 22nd of March 2011 06:12:24 AM
Old 03-22-2011
To be honest, I do not really understand your question.
What exactly is the problem?

Just a quick thing about your code changes: They would not change anything except for the puts().
read() returns either -1 on error or the number of bytes read. The -1 case will call err_sys which will exit the whole program. So Read() will always return something >= 0

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

copying or concatinating string from 1st bit, leaving 0th bit

Hello, If i have 2 strings str1 and str2, i would like to copy/concatenate str2 to str1, from 1st bit leaving the 0th bit. How do i do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
2 Replies

2. Programming

Anyone know how to use socket select() function?

hello socket programming expert, I having difficulties in understanding how select() function in socket programming work.... I'm trying to create my own peer-to-peer chat or file transfer program by using the select() function.... Therefore does anyone had any tutorial or source code that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: draggy
4 Replies

3. Programming

Multiplexing socket and message queue using Select()

I have a socket and a message queue over which i am trying to multiplex input using select(). When data comes over socket the select works but when it comes over message queue the select is not detecting it . Create_Q gets the identifier of the messege queue. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shaurya.rastogi
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connect problem for sctp socket (ipv6 socket) - Runtime fail Invalid Arguments

Hi, I was porting ipv4 application to ipv6; i was done with TCP transports. Now i am facing problem with SCTp transport at runtime. To test SCTP transport I am using following server and client socket programs. Server program runs fine, but client program fails giving Invalid Arguments for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrutiptur
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

Clarification - Setting socket options at the same time when socket is listening

I need clarification on whether it is okay to set socket options on a listening socket simultaneously when it is being used in an accept() call? Following is the scenario:- -- Task 1 - is executing in a loop - polling a listen socket, lets call it 'fd', (whose file descriptor is global)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake24
2 Replies

6. Programming

Socket and select

I have created two sockets and binded both. My requirement is that 2nd socket must send/ recv data only on expiration of timeval(tv). but the 1st socket must keep on send/recv the data without waiting for the 2nd socket completion...... I have posted my code below...... In this code the 2nd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naresh046
3 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Which version of Windows Vista to install with a product key? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Hello everyone. I bought a dell laptop (XPS M1330) online which came without a hard drive. There is a Windows Vista Ultimate OEMAct sticker with product key at the bottom case. I checked dell website (here) for this model and it says this model supports both 32 and 64-bit version of Windows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Is this sort working as it is supposed to be? A bit confused whether it is sorting correctly or not

Hi, Below is the sample file: $ cat x.txt MDSYS|OGIS_GEOMETRY_COLUMNS|TABLE MDSYS|OGIS_SPATIAL_REFERENCE_SYSTEMS|TABLE MDSYS|SDO_IDX_TAB_SEQUENCE|SEQUENCE MDSYS|SDO_PREFERRED_OPS_USER|TABLE MDSYS|SDO_ST_TOLERANCE|TABLE MDSYS|SDO_TOPO_DATA$|TABLE MDSYS|SDO_TOPO_RELATION_DATA|TABLE... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
4 Replies
INTRO(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						  INTRO(9)

NAME
intro -- introduction to system kernel interfaces DESCRIPTION
This section contains information about the interfaces and subroutines in the kernel. PROTOTYPES ANSI-C AND ALL THAT Yes please. We would like all code to be fully prototyped. If your code compiles cleanly with cc -Wall we would feel happy about it. It is important to understand that this is not a question of just shutting up cc, it is a question about avoiding the things it complains about. To put it bluntly, do not hide the problem by casting and other obfuscating practices, solve the problem. INDENTATION AND STYLE
Believe it or not, there actually exists a guide for indentation and style. It is not generally applied though. We would appreciate if people would pay attention to it, and at least not violate it blatantly. We do not mind it too badly if you have your own style, but please make sure we can read it too. Please take time to read style(9) for more information. NAMING THINGS
Some general rules exist: 1. If a function is meant as a debugging aid in DDB, it should be enclosed in #ifdef DDB #endif /* DDB */ And the name of the procedure should start with the prefix DDB_ to clearly identify the procedure as a debugger routine. SCOPE OF SYMBOLS
It is important to carefully consider the scope of symbols in the kernel. The default is to make everything static, unless some reason requires the opposite. There are several reasons for this policy, the main one is that the kernel is one monolithic name-space, and pollution is not a good idea here either. For device drivers and other modules that do not add new internal interfaces to the kernel, the entire source should be in one file if possi- ble. That way all symbols can be made static. If for some reason a module is split over multiple source files, then try to split the module along some major fault-line and consider using the number of global symbols as your guide. The fewer the better. SEE ALSO
style(9) HISTORY
The intro section manual page appeared in FreeBSD 2.2. BSD
December 13, 1995 BSD